Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A physician who is too thorough in conducting a medical

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 259 [1] , given: 2

A physician who is too thorough in conducting a medical [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 08:46
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

30% (03:24) correct 70% (00:58) wrong based on 22 sessions
A physician who is too thorough in conducting a medical checkup is likely to subject the patient to the discomfort and expense of unnecessary tests. One who is not thorough enough is likely to miss some serious problem and therefore give the patient a false sense of security. It is difficult for physicians to judge exactly how thorough they should be. Therefore, it is generally unwise for patients to have medical checkups when they do not feel ill.
Which one of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the argument in the passage?
(A) Some serious diseases in their early stages have symptoms that physicians can readily detect.
(B) Under the pressure of reduced reimbursements, physicians have been reducing the average amount of time they spend on each medical checkup.
(C) Patients not medically trained are unable to judge foe themselves what degree of thoroughness is appropriate for physicians in conducting medical checkups.
(D) Many people are financially unable to afford regular medical checkups.
(E) Some physicians sometimes exercise exactly the right degree of thoroughness in performing a medical checkup.

For me is between A and E

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: IU, UT Dallas, Univ of Georgia, Univ of Arkansas, Miami University
WE 1: 5.5 Yrs IT
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 05:32
IMO E. The conclusion says that patients must not have medical checkups when they DO NOT feel ill.

If, some physicians sometimes can exercise the right degree of thoroughness in performing a medical checkup, then it weakens the argument because in that case, patients can have checkups even when they are not necessarily ill.

Please post OA.
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 409 [0], given: 36

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 06:25
IMO: A

noboru wrote:
A physician who is too thorough in conducting a medical checkup is likely to subject the patient to the discomfort and expense of unnecessary tests. One who is not thorough enough is likely to miss some serious problem and therefore give the patient a false sense of security. It is difficult for physicians to judge exactly how thorough they should be. Therefore, it is generally unwise for patients to have medical checkups when they do not feel ill.
Which one of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the argument in the passage?
(A) Some serious diseases in their early stages have symptoms that physicians can readily detect.
(B) Under the pressure of reduced reimbursements, physicians have been reducing the average amount of time they spend on each medical checkup.
(C) Patients not medically trained are unable to judge foe themselves what degree of thoroughness is appropriate for physicians in conducting medical checkups.
(D) Many people are financially unable to afford regular medical checkups.
(E) Some physicians sometimes exercise exactly the right degree of thoroughness in performing a medical checkup.

For me is between A and E

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 10:05
IMO : A

The word readily would imply that serious diseases can be detected fairly easily and without a thorough examination. E shouldn't dissuade the argument since it was never said in the passage that there is not any doctors that may perform an accurately thorough examination.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2010, 02:26
IMO A

Conclusion: it is generally unwise for patients to have medical checkups when they do not feel ill.

What if the patient feels ill only after the disease has progressed to an advanced stage?
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 22:39
Noboru
Please post OA

Thanks

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 01:50
IMO A
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 04:18
IMO A

E Is incorrect coz it refers to " SOME physicians @ apart from other errors
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 07:13
A for me too .. wat is the OA ?
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 07:24
IMO "C"

In A & E, the word "some" is used, hence limiting the scope.

In "C", if the patient is unaware of what the thorough treatment is, then he will neither feel discomfort nor feel a false sense of security.

Funny!!??? :) But this is my take.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 08:19
yeah. some do and some don't so what?

I agree with this explanation. IMO : C
Hussain15 wrote:
IMO "C"

In A & E, the word "some" is used, hence limiting the scope.

In "C", if the patient is unaware of what the thorough treatment is, then he will neither feel discomfort nor feel a false sense of security.

Funny!!??? :) But this is my take.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 11:30
OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 5

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 13:09
Conclusion: It is generally unwise for patients to have medical checkups when they do not feel ill, becasue some doctors might precribe you to unnecessary tests and those tests will make you discomfortable and spend money.

B is correct.

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 18:08

IMO this is the answer. The argument is that doctors either are too thorough or not enough and give a false sense of security. The conclusion go to the doctor only when you have symptoms.
We are asked to weaken this and that is done by choice A. Some illnesses don't show any symptoms but can be readily detected if you go to the doctor.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 19:53
"Some" means not all diseases can be detected by physicians in early states-> when Physicians fail patient will feel insecure.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

[#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 20:28
IMO A is the best answer. It weakens the conclusion that "unwise for patients to have medical checkups when they do not feel ill". So people need to do checkup even though they dont feel ill. What is OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 5

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 08:14
onedayill wrote:
Conclusion: It is generally unwise for patients to have medical checkups when they do not feel ill, becasue some doctors might precribe you to unnecessary tests and those tests will make you discomfortable and spend money.

B is correct.

I'll still go with B
OA?

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 409 [1] , given: 36

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 20:16
This post received
KUDOS
Conclusion : It is UNWISE for some patients to have medical tests when they DO NOT feel ill.
Reverse of conclusion : It is WISE for some patients to have medical tests when they DO NOT feel ill.
The weakening argument will attack both the assumptions
1) medical checkup are bad because they likely to subject the patient to the discomfort and expense of unnecessary tests
2) medical checkup are bad because physician may miss a serious problem and therefore give the patient a false sense of security

No (discomfort and expense of unnecessary tests) + No (false sense of security) = Wise Medical Checkup.

A attacks 2), E attacks 2). The weakening argument will attack BOTH.

Last edited by nusmavrik on 16 Jun 2010, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 20:37
I change my answer back to A LOL. A attacks both the premises :-) Read it once again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 16

Re: physician who is too thorough [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 20:39
I do not know which one to choose,

I am hesitant to pick C because, inability by patients to judge the feel of thoroughness does not mean that they will not feel discomfort or extra expense. It is quite possible that even they do not know whether check up is through or not, extra touching them and extra look up will still cause discomfort and expenses...

Which one is OA?
I am hesitant to pick any choice.

Never give up,,,

Re: physician who is too thorough   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2010, 20:39