Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Nov 2014, 10:15

Happy Thanksgiving Day!!

Free Access to GMAT Club Tests Today

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 303 [2] , given: 100

Reviews Badge
A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included [#permalink] New post 11 May 2012, 22:56
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (01:40) correct 21% (00:46) wrong based on 898 sessions
A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included circling the globe faster than Jules Verne's fictional Phileas Fogg

A A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included
B The exploits of Nellie Bly, a pioneer journalist, included
C Nellie Bly was a pioneer journalist, included
D Included in the pioneer journalist Nellie Bly's exploits are
E The pioneer journalist's exploits of Nellie Bly included
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 303 [0], given: 100

Reviews Badge
Re: A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included [#permalink] New post 11 May 2012, 22:57
most of these questions are the new ones from OG 13. Time permitting, I'll post some harder questions later on today...
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 1789 [1] , given: 249

Re: A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included [#permalink] New post 12 May 2012, 04:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
A. A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included –Dangling modifier
B. The exploits of, a pioneer journalist, included: Correct format a pioneer journalist modifies Nellie Bly
C Nellie Bly was a pioneer journalist, included---- a run -on
D Included in the pioneer journalist Nellie Bly's exploits are: Inverted clause SV mismatch
E The pioneer journalist's exploits of Nellie Bly included----- journalist's exploits of Nellie- a clumsy redundancy and may even imply as if the pioneer journalist and Nellie were two different entities

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 570 Q45 V23
GMAT 2: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 07:25
daagh wrote:
A. A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included –Dangling modifier
B. The exploits of, a pioneer journalist, included: Correct format a pioneer journalist modifies Nellie Bly
C Nellie Bly was a pioneer journalist, included---- a run -on
D Included in the pioneer journalist Nellie Bly's exploits are: Inverted clause SV mismatch
E The pioneer journalist's exploits of Nellie Bly included----- journalist's exploits of Nellie- a clumsy redundancy and may even imply as if the pioneer journalist and Nellie were two different entities

the original poster has some typos in option C. The correct option is :-

C. Nellie Bly was a pioneer journalist including in her exploits the

@ daagh - pls. provide some insight why option C is wrong as i have marked it as my answer :(

@moderator - pls. edit the original poster

Let Difficulties know that you too are difficult

if you want the rainbow,you gotta put up with the rain

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1329

Kudos [?]: 3808 [0], given: 192

Re: A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 08:10
Expert's post
Hi @paras123,

This is the sentence with choice C:

Nellie Bly was a pioneer journalist including in her exploits the circling the globe faster than Jules Verne's fictional Phileas Fogg.

We have a verb-ing modifier “including” here that is modifying the previous noun entity “a pioneer journalist”. Nellie Bly is this pioneer journalist. So “including” is basically modifying Nellie Bly.

Now this modifier does not make sense with the subject “Nellie Bly” here because per this choice, the sentence seems to means that Nellie Bly was a journalist and because of being a journalist she included in her exploits the circling. This is not the intended meaning. It is Bly’s exploits that included the circling. So that should

Also this sentence is not very grammatical. This phrase “the circling the globe” is not grammatical. These are the reasons for this sentence to be incorrect.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIBA
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Stern, Insead, ISB, Wharton, Columbia
WE 1: Information Technology (Banking and Financial Services)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2013, 09:37
egmat wrote:
Hi @paras123,

Nellie Bly was a pioneer journalist including in her exploits the circling the globe faster than Jules Verne's fictional Phileas Fogg.

We have a verb-ing modifier “including” here that is modifying the previous noun entity “a pioneer journalist”. Nellie Bly is this pioneer journalist. So “including” is basically modifying Nellie Bly.

Now this modifier does not make sense with the subject “Nellie Bly” here because per this choice, the sentence seems to means that Nellie Bly was a journalist and because of being a journalist she included in her exploits the circling. This is not the intended meaning. It is Bly’s exploits that included the circling. So that should

Also this sentence is not very grammatical. This phrase “the circling the globe” is not grammatical. These are the reasons for this sentence to be incorrect.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Shraddha,

Thanks much for the explanation. Can you please also clarify if C is a run-on sentence and if yes, how ?

~soaringAlone
~Live fast, die young and leave a marketable corpse behind !!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.51
WE: Other (Transportation)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 34

Re: A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 10:29
egmat wrote:
Hi @paras123,

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha
There is a serious bug in my SC understanding and i wish to kill it once and for all.
This bug has again resurfaced in this OG13 question. I would really appreciate if u could help me resolve this problem. So here it is-

A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included circling the globe faster than Jules Verne's fictional Phileas Fogg

I marked this answer wrong since i had wrongly interpreted that The exploits of Nellie Bly is a noun modifier, which is incorrectly modifying a pioneer journalist, the noun next to the modifier. I repeatedly do such kinds of mistakes in modifiers. Can you suggest how i can unlearn such misconceptions.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31

Kudos [?]: 44 [1] , given: 65

Re: A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 11:26
This post received
KUDOS
The problem number is #19 from OG v13 and the OA is B.

Logical predication: Modification.

Just for clarity, the official guide explanation for why C is wrong is The wording of this version is illogical because it makes Nellie Bly the subject of the verb including

KUDOS is a way to say Thank You

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 70

Re: A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2013, 05:15
Modifiers refer to the noun immediately preceding it. "a pioneer journalist" correctly refers to "Nellie Bly". Also, "exploits of" makes it possessive.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 150

Kudos [?]: 1473 [0], given: 122

Re: A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 22:11
doe007 wrote:
Modifiers refer to the noun immediately preceding it. "a pioneer journalist" correctly refers to "Nellie Bly".

You're correct, "a pioneer journalist" is APPOSITIVE PHRASE that is short phrase, and is used to modify another noun preceding it.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 11

Re: A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 00:36
egmat wrote:
Hi @paras123,

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Why is D wrong? Please clarify.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 149 [1] , given: 70

Re: A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 20:24
This post received
KUDOS
ranjeet75 wrote:
Why is D wrong? Please clarify.

This is an OG question from OG 13th Ed. GMAC's explanation on option D is:
"Since this event clearly happened in the past, the tense of the verb are is wrong. Piling on too many descriptive words for the noun exploits [the pioneer journalist Nellie Bly's exploits] makes the phrase unwieldy and awkward."

Also, I found that "included" refers to "pioneer" saying "included in the pioneer". Though the intention is to say "included in the exploits", it didn't happen so because of placing many descriptive words between "included in the" and "exploits".
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2013, 10:53
Dipankar6435 wrote:
egmat wrote:
Hi @paras123,

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha
There is a serious bug in my SC understanding and i wish to kill it once and for all.
This bug has again resurfaced in this OG13 question. I would really appreciate if u could help me resolve this problem. So here it is-

I marked this answer wrong since i had wrongly interpreted that The exploits of Nellie Bly is a noun modifier, which is incorrectly modifying a pioneer journalist, the noun next to the modifier. I repeatedly do such kinds of mistakes in modifiers. Can you suggest how i can unlearn such misconceptions.

I am not sure if you were able to kill the bug but still let me try to attempt this in 2 ways:
1) Meaning :
If The exploits of Nellie Bly is a noun modifier , modifying a pioneer journalist then a pioneer journalist is main subject . So is it the a pioneer journalist included circling or The exploits ? It is the exploits of NB included circling the globe faster than Jules Verne's fictional Phileas Fogg.
2) Grammar and Punctuation :
I feel there is difference between
a. The exploits of Nellie Bly, a pioneer journalist, included and
b. The exploits of Nellie Bly, a pioneer journalist included
In B The exploits of Nellie Bly could mean what you interpreted .
But a pioneer journalist has comma before and after implying that it is a modifier and not main subject.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep on doing so until the end -- Abraham Lincoln

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 23

Re: A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2014, 11:14
Can someone explain the meaning of this sentence with choice B? I feel like there is some ambiguity here. I understand it as follows - is it wrong?

- Nellie Bly did a lot of things and one of the things was the fact that she circle the globe faster than "Jules Verne's fictional Phileas fogg". The part in the apostrophes is a little confusing because I take that as a possessive something?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included [#permalink] New post 26 May 2014, 14:48
macjas wrote:

The options for above sentence are not clearly written (See option C), mismatched with OG 13. Correct version as below.

A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included
circling the globe faster than Jules Verne's fictional
Phileas Fogg.
(A) A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits
included
(B) The exploits of Nellie Bly, a pioneer journalist,
included
(C) Nellie Bly was a pioneer journalist including in
her exploits the
(D) Included in the pioneer journalist Nellie Bly's
exploits are
(E) The pioneer journalist's exploits of Nellie Bly
included
Re: A pioneer journalist, Nellie Bly's exploits included   [#permalink] 26 May 2014, 14:48