Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 20:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A place to boast - leave your modesty at the door.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: A place to boast - leave your modesty at the door. [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 15:18
I am singlehandedly responsible for about 12million mail pieces this past year- so you guys should thank me for all the credit card solicitations you receive :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: A place to boast - leave your modesty at the door. [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 15:22
Good point. I sent 1.3 million e-mails 3 times a week the last 8 weeks of the year, then 2 times a month since. =25 x 1.3=32.5 million.
Dosa_don, our karma might be rather bad at this point :-D
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: A place to boast - leave your modesty at the door. [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 15:38
haha- we do the same thing-spam mailboxes ;)

but I hope our karma is not awful- am waiting on two more decisions :D

westsider wrote:
Good point. I sent 1.3 million e-mails 3 times a week the last 8 weeks of the year, then 2 times a month since. =25 x 1.3=32.5 million.
Dosa_don, our karma might be rather bad at this point :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 707 [0], given: 5

Re: A place to boast - leave your modesty at the door. [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 16:14
pandeyrav wrote:
riverripper wrote:
This is what I did for an internship during college...pretty far from anything business related. UNREP, underway replenishment I spent 60+ days aboard the ship on the right Junior year.

What is that ? battleship ? merchant ship ? oil tanker ? exploration ?

Its a fleet oiler. They refuel aircraft carries and large navy vessels. I also sailed on a training ship that was really a converted cargo ship 3 different times. I spent about 225 days at sea during college in total...got to go all over the world and see some really amazing things.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 14

Re: A place to boast - leave your modesty at the door. [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 16:22
great thread westsider. double kudos.

It is true that most of us really don't have anyone else who appreciate the accomplishments we've done other than each other. And from reading some of your backgrounds, I am honored to be with such a truly amazing group! (It's quite humbling, I must say).

As for me, from a hardcore engineer who kept on repeating "Business School is useless. I can learn everything by just reading books." to someone who lost 6 months of his life applying to 4 schools (1 heartbreak, 3 ecstasies), I can say I am truly happy for what I've done, the friends I've made along the road (here and in real life), and the endless opportunities and experiences that await me.

It is an exciting, fun, challenging, stressful, and frightening time for us all, but in the end, I'm sure we'll all be able to accomplish what we set out to do. :)

Cheers everyone!

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: A place to boast - leave your modesty at the door. [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 16:57
My MBA journey started in 2006. Gave the GMAT in October, and everything in life took a backseat as my dad was diagnosed with cancer. I was all set to abandon ship and return home to my family. Through the many difficult months that followed, his condition improved significantly (to almost normal). I somehow made the time to apply, and here I am, ready to start at Haas this fall. So if I must brag, it will be about my determination to pull through this...and get into a great program :)
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 10

Re: A place to boast - leave your modesty at the door. [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 19:15
erm... not much really except haven't been dinged yet... 4 acceptances so far but only applied to 2 elite schools and still waiting on decisions for them. Outside of b-school i can boast about other stuff :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: A place to boast - leave your modesty at the door. [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 19:16
Very inspiring !!! may your father be in the pink of his health to come see you graduate.

Columbia, I havent earned any rights to brag yet. All that i have done so far is land interviews at Chicago and Wharton. If any of those convert to an admit, I will try and brag some :)

Meanwhile, its truly fascinating to see how hard people have worked to make their lives better and in the process, improved the lives of several others. One thing that comes through all the inspiring posts is the indefatigable human spirit, the steel within, and the fire that refuses to die come what may.

Futuristic wrote:
My MBA journey started in 2006. Gave the GMAT in October, and everything in life took a backseat as my dad was diagnosed with cancer. I was all set to abandon ship and return home to my family. Through the many difficult months that followed, his condition improved significantly (to almost normal). I somehow made the time to apply, and here I am, ready to start at Haas this fall. So if I must brag, it will be about my determination to pull through this...and get into a great program :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: A place to boast - leave your modesty at the door. [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 19:36
how about 2.79 undergrad GPA, no masters, average GMAT, standard demographic, crap no name work experience, in at Cornell?

Also WL at Stern (can probably get accepted if I really tried)
interviewed at Chicago (ding)
interviewed at Wharton (expecting a ding)

Although I am pretty sure I won't be accepted to W, I consider just getting an interview invite an accomplishment, esp since most "admissions consultants" and "experts" pretty much laughed in my face when I told them I wanted to apply there.

Last edited by aceman626 on 18 Mar 2008, 08:41, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 10

Re: A place to boast - leave your modesty at the door. [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 20:46
kryzak wrote:
great thread westsider. double kudos.

It is true that most of us really don't have anyone else who appreciate the accomplishments we've done other than each other. And from reading some of your backgrounds, I am honored to be with such a truly amazing group! (It's quite humbling, I must say).

As for me, from a hardcore engineer who kept on repeating "Business School is useless. I can learn everything by just reading books." to someone who lost 6 months of his life applying to 4 schools (1 heartbreak, 3 ecstasies), I can say I am truly happy for what I've done, the friends I've made along the road (here and in real life), and the endless opportunities and experiences that await me.

It is an exciting, fun, challenging, stressful, and frightening time for us all, but in the end, I'm sure we'll all be able to accomplish what we set out to do. :)

Cheers everyone!

I know so many hardcore engineers who say this to me. I am a engineer (graduating in may), and all my friends tell me this . It doesn't get to me, but my goal ever since 9th grade was to go to a top 5 business school, become a attorney to help immigrants, or open a restaurant so I can feed whoever I please. I do not have any bragging rights, since I have not even taken the GMAT, but hopefully two to three years from now I will be able to post on this thread.

Congrats to everyone on this thread.
KK
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 14

Re: A place to boast - leave your modesty at the door. [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 21:18
Futuristic wrote:

Very inspiring! I hope to have you as a classmate (once I make my decision) this fall at Haas. :)

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

Re: A place to boast - leave your modesty at the door. [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 22:40
An elite school thought it would be so cool to have me around that they decided to foot the bill for me being here.
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: A place to boast - leave your modesty at the door. [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2008, 04:29
Havent given up on the MBA dream the last 3 years. Dedicated endless hours and weekends to studying for the GMAT and writing essays. (and lost a relationship in the process)

Scored 600 the first time and did not give up, knowing I can do better and scored 720 the second time. Went from wondering if I have the stuff to get into a Top 10 program to being accepted to 4 of my 5 target schools, with one full ride and one major scholarship.

I know so many people who say they should get an MBA, too, but never go through with it when the time comes to execute. I think we all know what kind of dedication it takes, how much you have to want this to be able to sacrifice the amount of time that is necessary to be successful in the application process.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: A place to boast - leave your modesty at the door. [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2008, 06:41
The thing I'm feeling best about right now is that I negotiated a deal w/ the girl who cuts my hair: free haircuts for free guitar lessons!

:-D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: A place to boast - leave your modesty at the door. [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2008, 07:08
Hey westsider,
You seem to come up with great ideas so frequently so I just want to commend you man. All this from you just makes me more happy that you will be attending the same school that I am going to. You hit the nail right on the head when you say that we don't get many people who actually understand and appreciate our accomplishments in terms of this whole application process. I sometimes find myself having to explain to people how difficult it was and what a 750 score means and how difficult the essay writing process was and etc....... By the way here goes my story:

Worked my ass out on the GMAT and was pleasantly surprises by a 750. I started out with a target of 700 as my username suggests but ended up with 750. I come from a small country and by what I know 750 is the highest ever scored from my country so that made me feel even more special.
After the GMAT I got down to researching the schools. I had to apply to UW because I have family in Seattle. I also applied to Yale and was very discouraged at being dinged without an interview. I didnt even apply to more schools in the US because I wanted to save on the application fees. I couldnt just go on spending application fees because the US$ to my country's currency exchange rate is 1US$=65 rupees so it really does cost me dear to apply to many schools.
Was very happy at being admitted to UW and was even more delighted to get a 16K scholarship.
I have also applied to RSM in Europe and am very happy to have been invited for interview there. Have applied to HKUST and NUS recently and am waiting on them.
All in all the journey has been very challenging at times and I know I have worked very hard as all people on this forum have done. Coming from my country, I am very proud that I even have a chance of applying to top schools in the US, Europe and the rest of the world. This in itself is a big thing but I am even prouder that I have actually got admitted into some of them. Hey guys, my hats off to you all and take this from me:
Even if there is no one who does not appreciate what you have accomplished rest assured that there is this guy who really does!!!!!
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: A place to boast - leave your modesty at the door. [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2008, 07:19
I am pretty proud of the fact that I run the network infrastructure of a multi billion dollar data center. My network is bullet proof, unbelievably available, well documented and pretty easy to troubleshoot. I went from being unable to find a job after I graduated from college and having to start out as a help desk intern to being one of the top network engineers in an enormous company.

I can't wait to work with other people like all of you who share a drive to improve and succeed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: A place to boast - leave your modesty at the door. [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2008, 09:44
Thanks 700! I think that my classmates will be the best part of the degree as well! It sounds like you have a GREAT story !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: A place to boast - leave your modesty at the door. [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2008, 09:53
I am proud of being a proud member of the gmatclub :)

And I am proud for surviving 3 months of waiting! :) waiting is the biggest problem for me, I just don't have patience.... I mean ... I am even mad at the elevator in my building because its doors close too slowly :) so normally I just take the stairs :)

GO BLUE !!!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: A place to boast - leave your modesty at the door. [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2008, 09:58
This post received
KUDOS
Well, I scored a 720 on my GMAT. Nobody believed I would break 650. My first choice school was/is Wake Forest. Nobody thought I would get in. I did. Then, nobody thought I would get much of a scholarship. Then I did. I recently attended the Dean's Scholarship Candidates weekend and I know for fact that my 3-4 minute speech was the best because I have the skills of a motivational speaker cross bred with a Southern Baptist Preacher. I am more confident that I will get the full tuition than I was about even getting in. Go figure.

So while Wake Forest may not be one of the elite schools, its perfect for me. Oh...and I did very poorly in college. Was kicked out of the honors program in undergrad for crappy grads.

I have decided recently that I am even more awesome that I thought I was. Not only am I exceptionally cool but I am brilliant in a nonchalant way.

Last edited by nb on 18 Mar 2008, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

Re: A place to boast - leave your modesty at the door. [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2008, 10:13
"I have decided recently that I am even more awesome that I thought I was. Not only am I exceptionally cool but I am brilliant in a nonchalent way."

Nonchalent? Yes, that was brilliant :lol:
Re: A place to boast - leave your modesty at the door.   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2008, 10:13