Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 09:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A plausible explanation of the disappearance of the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
A plausible explanation of the disappearance of the [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 05:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

71% (02:13) correct 29% (01:44) wrong based on 33 sessions
A plausible explanation of the disappearance of the dinosaurs is what is known as the comet theory. A large enough comet colliding with Earth could have caused a cloud of dust that enshrouded the planet and cooled the climate long enough to result in the dinosaur's demise.
Which of the following statements, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?
A) One of the various schools of paleontology adheres to an explanation for the disappearance of the dinosaurs that is significantly different from the comet theory.
B) Various species of animals from the same as dinosaurs and similar to them in physiology and habitat did not become extinct when dinosaurs did.
C) It can not be determined from a study of dinosaur skeletons whether the animals died from the effects of a dust cloud.
D) Many other animal species from the era of the dinosaurs did not become extinct at the same time the dinosaurs did.
E) The consequences for the vegetation and animals of comet colliding with Earth are not fully understood.

I found 3 weakeners here owing to causality. Seriously in the predicament. I was hitting immaculate accuracy in Weaken Questions when this hit me.
Let me know the explanations here.. OA to follow soon...

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Last edited by joshnsit on 25 Aug 2012, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Seems like Multiple Weakeners: A plausible explanation of... [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 05:28
Hey....new kid on the block

I would go with B ... This option talks about non extinction of animals from the same species as the dinosaurs ...for me makes sense and weakens the argument

The option D also talks about non extinction of animals of the same era, but these animals are of different species and so might have naturally adapted to the change in environment
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: Seems like Multiple Weakeners: A plausible explanation of... [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 05:59
gmatstalker2012 wrote:
Hey....new kid on the block

I would go with B ... This option talks about non extinction of animals from the same species as the dinosaurs ...for me makes sense and weakens the argument

The option D also talks about non extinction of animals of the same era, but these animals are of different species and so might have naturally adapted to the change in environment
B is obviously better than D. But, why couldnt it be A or C then? They also give different causes of dinosaur's death weakening the conclusion.

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

GMAT Instructor
Followers: 254

Kudos [?]: 665 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Seems like Multiple Weakeners: A plausible explanation of... [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 08:51
Yes, the answer is B. If dinosaurs would be unable to survive the aftermath of a comet, you'd expect the same to be true of similar animals, so B casts doubt on the theory. As for the other answers you asked about:

A just says "some people don't agree with the comet theory". You can rule those types of answers out right away. Whether a few people disagree with the theory is irrelevant; we need facts to weaken an argument, not opinions.

C just says "studying dinosaur skeletons doesn't help us to evaluate the theory". So skeletons don't give us any information about the comet theory. So C neither strengthens nor weakens the argument. If C instead said that a study of skeletons gives reason to think dinosaurs died from an alternative cause, then C would be a good answer, but that's not what it says.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: Seems like Multiple Weakeners: A plausible explanation of... [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2012, 04:32
IanStewart wrote:
Yes, the answer is B. If dinosaurs would be unable to survive the aftermath of a comet, you'd expect the same to be true of similar animals, so B casts doubt on the theory. As for the other answers you asked about:

A just says "some people don't agree with the comet theory". You can rule those types of answers out right away. Whether a few people disagree with the theory is irrelevant; we need facts to weaken an argument, not opinions.

C just says "studying dinosaur skeletons doesn't help us to evaluate the theory". So skeletons don't give us any information about the comet theory. So C neither strengthens nor weakens the argument. If C instead said that a study of skeletons gives reason to think dinosaurs died from an alternative cause, then C would be a good answer, but that's not what it says.
@IanStewart. Though your comment about choice A makes sense, this info was new to me. To make your statement about choice A explicit, can we safely state that "Any opinion/belief/claim by an authority, whatever the status and credentials of the authority are, can't be used to disprove or raise doubt on author's opinion/belief/claim in an argument." ?

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 151

Re: Seems like Multiple Weakeners: A plausible explanation of... [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2012, 05:00
No,it doesn't work that way.Its just that the below statement is not strong enough to weaken the author's claim.
"One of the various schools of paleontology adheres to an explanation for the disappearance of the dinosaurs that is significantly different from the comet theory."
Also,in this statement,its just mentioned generally that the explanation differs to author's statement.If something concrete would've been mentioned,say something such as "X theory has stated that disappearance of dinosaurs took place because of Y reason" then we could have selected A.

Hope it helps,
Thanks!
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 254

Kudos [?]: 665 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Seems like Multiple Weakeners: A plausible explanation of... [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2012, 10:43
joshnsit wrote:
@IanStewart. Though your comment about choice A makes sense, this info was new to me. To make your statement about choice A explicit, can we safely state that "Any opinion/belief/claim by an authority, whatever the status and credentials of the authority are, can't be used to disprove or raise doubt on author's opinion/belief/claim in an argument." ?

In this question, A is particularly unhelpful, because all it says is that some people disagree with the theory. That's generally true about most theories. I suppose in a similar question, if one answer said something like "most experts who have researched this issue disagree with the theory", that kind of answer would help to weaken the argument. But for GMAT purposes, I don't think that matters -- I don't think I've ever seen a real GMAT question where that type of 'appeal to universal authority' answer was even among the answer choices. In every real GMAT weakening question I've seen, the correct answer is based on flaws or gaps in the argument itself, and not on the opinions of experts. And whenever I've seen answers that read something like "some people think X", those answers are never correct, because the logical force of an argument is not substantially diminished by the opinions of a few people.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Re: Seems like Multiple Weakeners: A plausible explanation of...   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2012, 10:43