Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [5]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3119 [3]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: A popular Internet service provider changed its billing system, chargi [#permalink]
divineacclivity wrote:
Hi,

I'm not able to get the following question. Though I couldn't find the answers for sure when I searched online for an answer, some people do think that the answer should be A. I had chosen C. Could someone please explain why/why not & what the correct answer is. Thanks in advance.
-------------------------------

A popular Internet service provider changed its billing system, charging customers per each connection to the system rather than per total hours connected. According to company representatives, under the new system, customers will spend more time connected to the Internet while being billed the same or smaller amounts.

Which one of the following statements, if true, would most strengthen the conclusion of the company representatives?

(A) Customers will connect to the service less frequently and spend more time connected to the service each time they do.
(B) The change in the billing system will attract new customers resulting in increased profits for the company.
(C) By spending more time connected to the Internet customers will be able to take advantage of services that previously would have been too expensive.
(D) The popularity of other Internet service providers relies on their having billing systems similar to the one this company is adopting.
(E) The company’s employees, all of whom have free unlimited Internet access, support the change in billing.

My logic:
(A) Customers will connect to the service less frequently and spend more time connected to the service each time they do.
[Me]: May be "connecting the service less frequently" means since people would have unlimited service available for a fixed charge, they wouldnt disconnect and hence would connect less frequently, so, just keep it for once
(B) The change in the billing system will attract new customers resulting in increased profits for the company.
[Me]: Company profit in not the question here, so, irrelevant
(C) By spending more time connected to the Internet customers will be able to take advantage of services that previously would have been too expensive.
[Me]: This sounds good because if users keep using the service for longer than usual, there wouldn't be any extra changes which might've been the case earlier
(D) The popularity of other Internet service providers relies on their having billing systems similar to the one this company is adopting.
[Me]: Irrelevant
(E) The company’s employees, all of whom have free unlimited Internet access, support the change in billing.
[Me]: Irrelevant

After lot of thinking I feel that
Assumption of C is people will use internet since it will cost drastically less as compared to their previous usage.

But read the conclusion of statement carefully the cost will either be SAME or smaller amounts. That implies the cost will not be drastically less.
I feel its a trap set by GMAT; use of word SAME neutralizes the decline in the cost which the company is over emphasizing.

Pls ask if there is any further doubt.
By the way good question and what is the source.
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: A popular Internet service provider changed its billing system, chargi [#permalink]
Kudos
divineacclivity wrote:
Archit143 wrote:

After lot of thinking I feel that
Assumption of C is people will use internet since it will cost drastically less as compared to their previous usage.

But read the conclusion of statement carefully the cost will either be SAME or smaller amounts. That implies the cost will not be drastically less.
I feel its a trap set by GMAT; use of word SAME neutralizes the decline in the cost which the company is over emphasizing.

Pls ask if there is any further doubt.
By the way good question and what is the source.

The source is PiyushT

Do you find any flaw in my reasoning or you think it can be defeated.
If yes than pls come up with doubt, so that i can also improve my reasoning ability
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Kudos
Given : ISP will charge the customers per connection rather than total time spent connected to internet. With this new scheme, customers wil spend more time connected to internet at no additional cost when compared to the previous billing scheme.

(A) Customers will connect to the service less frequently and spend more time connected to the service each time they do. - Since ISP is charging based on the number of connections made rather than time spent browsing, the customers will extend the connection made to avoid unnecessary costs. Hence the connections made will be less frequent and prolonged ones - Correct
(B) The change in the billing system will attract new customers resulting in increased profits for the company. - The premise is not talking about the money that the company would make by changing the billing scheme of its current line of services - Incorrect
(C) By spending more time connected to the Internet customers will be able to take advantage of services that previously would have been too expensive. - The premise speaks about the time spent by an average customer connected to internet. The actual intention of customer with the usage of internet is irrelevant - Incorrect
(D) The popularity of other Internet service providers relies on their having billing systems similar to the one this company is adopting. - Billing scheme of other ISP's is irrelevant and out of scope - Incorrect
(E) The company’s employees, all of whom have free unlimited Internet access, support the change in billing. - Out of scope - Incorrect

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Dheeraj: Madaraboina
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Ha, tough one.

I explain my logic here .

Here the argument talks about the Connection time and billing based on Connection to system and not on hourly basis.

The conclusion talks about customers spending more time on Internet .

We need an arguments which states that Customers are spending more time on internet and the arguments has to state that they are being connected for long hours( as from the premises we know that billing based on connection not on hourly basis).

Choice A does that --- hence correct answer.

Please give kudos if this helps you.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts