Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 23:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A profile evaluation please? It's a bit complex...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

A profile evaluation please? It's a bit complex... [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2010, 11:37
So, I'm in a kinda interesting spot. I graduated from the University of New Mexico in 2006 with a 3.25 from the honors department with my degree in Political Science, and I studied my Junior year abroad in England. Grades my Junior year abroad were pass or fail. Also, I have seven B+'s on my record, which is VERY disappointing. I worked my way through college, and had an internship my Senior year. I took the GMAT once a couple years ago, and I scored a 580. 37 on verbal (80%) 33 on quant (37%) and a 6 on the essay. I'm planning on retaking the GMAT in a month, and my test scores have consistently been high 600's and low 700's. So with any luck, I'll score a 700 or higher on the actual test. Presuming that's the case, this is where my profile gets a bit interesting.

I have a long history of unemployment. Not due to my own choice, but due to the economy. Upon graduation, I moved from Albuquerque, NM to Portland, Oregon for a change of scenery and pace. I obtained a retail job and an internship with a State Representative. Realizing that Politics wasn't for me, I quit the internship as I knew that Politics was not the direction my life was headed. In regards to the retail position, I often took a leadership position, in terms of training, being proactive, etc. I figured out the direction I wanted to go in and moved to San Francisco around a little over a year later to work for Electronic Arts, where I expected to work my way up the ladder to my dream job. I gained a small amount of leadership experience working for EA. They laid me off 5 months later, due to the economy. I moved back to Oregon for cost of living/support system reasons, and was unable to find decent work for 7 months. At this point, EA hired me back, and I moved back to San Francisco to give it one more go. This time, they laid me off 6 months later, in addition to the entire department I was working with. Back to Oregon, where I have been unemployed for approximately 5 months.

I've attempted to find jobs or internships, but all the available jobs are flooded with way too many applications, and I can't even get an internship due to the fact that most companies want people who are in college, presumably for tax break reasons. At this point, I want to go to B School for many reasons, one of which is so I don't have to ever be put in a position like this ever again. However, my history of unemployment concerns me greatly. I'm not afraid of taking risks and dropping what I have to go after what I want; which I feel is a strength. I have a firm goal in mind and I know what I need to accomplish it, business school being a part of it. I also want to stay in the tech/entertainment industry, so being on the west coast or NY area is very important to me. I also can get very strong letters of recommendation from my previous employers. However, my fearlessness has left me unemployed for approximately a year, due to the state of the economy. I think I can make my profile seem fairly strong, but this still concerns me. The school I'd LOVE to get into, but I know is a major stretch is Haas. Outside of that, I'd like to stay on the west coast if at all possible; I'm also looking at UCLA and U of Washington. Yeah. Thank you so much for your help!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 528 [1] , given: 0

Re: A profile evaluation please? It's a bit complex... [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2010, 11:06
This post received
KUDOS
To be honest, an MBA isn't going to improve job security. That's the biggest misconception of the degree program.

The business profession is riskier than say engineering, law, medicine, academics or even accounting. It's potentially higher reward (financially), but also higher risk (i.e. it's more sink or swim than other professions).

Especially in tech or entertainment - if you want job security of any sort, you're looking at two industries that won't offer that.

Again, it seems like what you really need to do is some soul searching on what your real priorities are. If stability is your biggest priority, you may want to look at another profession (i.e. law). If you're looking for the upside and fulfillment in a business function, the risk of unemployment and uncertainty is something you're going to have to get used to.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: A profile evaluation please? It's a bit complex... [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2010, 11:18
I believe I might have not necessarily gotten my idea across correctly. Perhaps I used the wrong wording. My idea of "job security" isn't what one traditionally thinks of as "security", but as my obtaining a skill set that will make me more marketable so when I want to or am forced to look for a new employer, I'll hopefully stand out more.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

Re: A profile evaluation please? It's a bit complex... [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2010, 11:30
I know this may be hard to hear, but getting an MBA won't be a solution to your current unemployment. Frankly, adcoms will be concerned and it'll affect your chances of getting in.

As hard as it has been, you're going to have to continue your job hunt, find a way to work full-time for a while. MBA or not, employers really care more about work experience. An MBA in and of itself isn't really going to make you stand out -- especially when the degree itself (even if you go to a decent school) are a dime a dozen. What will make you employable is the degree PLUS your prior work experience. Put it this way -- even if you have an MBA, you're competing with fellow MBAs who have a stronger or deeper work history than you will, and that will make a substantive difference when it comes to recruiting. In other words, when it comes to recruiting, you're not going to be in a much better spot than you are now if the only material difference is the "MBA" line item on your resume.

Find a way to gut this out, make sure you're building up a solid base of full-time experience (at least one year, and ideally 2-3 years of continuous employment) before considering an MBA. That will help your career far more in the medium- to long-term compared to trying to get an MBA now.

I can appreciate how frustrating it may be with the current economy, but you're simply going to have to find a way to continue looking for a job, with the expectation of working for a few more years to build up that solid professional foundation before applying.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: A profile evaluation please? It's a bit complex...   [#permalink] 25 Apr 2010, 11:30