Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 09:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A prominent investor who holds a large stake in the Burton

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: GMATPrep CR : Bold Face:Burton tool company [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2011, 07:10
B

One conclusion and one sub-conclusion.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A prominent investor who holds a large stake in the Burton [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 02:29
My answer is B, the first is the conclusion. The 2nd used to support that conclusion.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: A prominent investor who holds a large stake in the Burton [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 11:01
+1 B
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 71

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep CR : Bold Face:Burton tool company [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 06:31
ngupta27 wrote:
Any guide for BOLD FACED QUESTIONS ?
I get all of them wrong :(
Someone please suggest me something for that!!!!

Regards
Nitin

I think punzo' approach is a good guide to solve this kind of question.
you should set different parts (from premises to intermediate conclusions to final conclusion) in order.
Any order that makes sense is the valid order.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 20

Re: GMATPrep CR : Bold Face:Burton tool company [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 16:59
ngupta27 wrote:
Any guide for BOLD FACED QUESTIONS ?
I get all of them wrong :(
Someone please suggest me something for that!!!!

Regards
Nitin

IMO, it is waste to try to guess what is the conclusion of the argument because there can be multiple conclusions possible depending on to what piece of info one gives importance. So never try to conclude yourself before reading answer choices.

For this reason, I think following should help:

--> Read the whole argument and get the author's voice.
--> Read answer choices; try to connect statements in question as per the answer choice. Whatever connection makes sense, that is the answer.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 276 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: A prominent investor who holds a large stake in the Burton [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 22:59
+1 B
nice Qn.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: A prominent investor who holds a large stake in the Burton [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 21:55
IMO B but very tough one for me
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A prominent investor who holds a large stake in the Burton [#permalink] New post 26 May 2012, 04:42
Seems like it is B.
As the first bold sentence is for sure a conclusion. Only answer B states this fact, other than that, Guys does anyone know how to tackle such questions. I do not get the answers!!! Help
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: A prominent investor who holds a large stake in the Burton [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 02:58
Chose D, Got totally stumped by the question.

Thank you for the explanations.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.22
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 16

Re: A prominent investor who holds a large stake in the Burton [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 04:48
B for me too. My strategy with questions such as this is that I break down the argument into parts - premises, sub-conclusion/s to main conclusion.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
- T. Roosevelt

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 192 [1] , given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: A prominent investor who holds a large stake in the Burton [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 05:48
This post received
KUDOS
[b]

(1) MAIN CONCLUSION: "but in this case it is clearly not justified" - Eliminate A, C, D and E
(2) "Burton's case indicates no such thing" is supported by "the increase in inventory is entirely attributable to products that have already been assigned to orders received from customers".. Therefore it is also a conclusion...
(3) "but in this case it is clearly not justified" BECAUSE "Burton's case indicates no such thing"

[/b]

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?

A. The first provides evidenceto support the conclusion of the argument as a whole; the second states the conclusion.

B.The 1st states the conclusion of the argument as a whole; the second states an intermediate conclusion that is drawn in order to support that conclusion

C.The 1st is the position that the argument as a whole opposes;the second provides evidence against the position being opposed.

D.The first states an intermediate conclusionthat is drawn in order to support the conclusion of the argument as a whole; the 2nd states the conclusion of the argument as a whole

E. The 1st & the 2nd both state intermediate conclusionsthat are drawn in order to support jointly the conclusions of the argument as a whole.

Answer: B

Impossible is nothing to God.

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 240

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A prominent investor who holds a large stake in the Burton [#permalink] New post 05 May 2014, 05:01
This post received
KUDOS
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: A prominent investor who holds a large stake in the Burton [#permalink] New post 05 May 2014, 11:32
The correct answer should be B and most of us have selected B but on selecting B, the answer choice B is indicated in RED as the wrong answer and answer choice C is higlighted in green to indicate that it is the correct answer. Is anyone else facing this issue?
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1244

Kudos [?]: 3440 [0], given: 183

Re: A prominent investor who holds a large stake in the Burton [#permalink] New post 06 May 2014, 22:24
Expert's post
BPD wrote:
The correct answer should be B and most of us have selected B but on selecting B, the answer choice B is indicated in RED as the wrong answer and answer choice C is higlighted in green to indicate that it is the correct answer. Is anyone else facing this issue?

Hi BPD,

The question poster has posted the wrong correct option. That is why you are facing this issue. You are right: the correct option is B.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Manager
Manager
Target GMAT Score: 700
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.25
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A prominent investor who holds a large stake in the Burton [#permalink] New post 07 May 2014, 22:30
Zaarathalab: please change the OA response in the GMAT Timer. Ans should be B not C.

please refer to Ron Purewals explanation at following link.
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/post38472.html?hilit=A%20prominent%20investor%20who%20holds%20a%20large%20stake%20in%20the%20Burton%20Tool%20company%20has%20recently%20claimed%20that%20the%20company%20is%20mismanaged&sid=9febb09a9ed73d629416de6c8288c37e#p38472

"solution courtesy Manhattangmat. I 200% trust ron!

Where Focus Goes Energy Flows....Follow you dream and passion.

Re: A prominent investor who holds a large stake in the Burton   [#permalink] 07 May 2014, 22:30