Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 20:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: ABCD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 78

GMAT Tests User
A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 16:54
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (01:50) correct 37% (00:58) wrong based on 426 sessions
A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discourage poachers; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are trimmed.

A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are
B) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are
C) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals' horns have been
D) if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals' horns are
E) if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals' horns have been

OA C

All:
I know that D and E can be rejected because of usage of "if"

Among A, B and C, B and A are rejected for lack of antecedents. I am not looking for the correct answer. I want to understand why "horns have been" is a correct usage. In other words, via is present perfect better than present tense ("are trimmed")

Any help is appreciated.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: og rc # 75 [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 17:28
gmat1220 wrote:
voodoochild wrote:
A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discourage poachers; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are trimmed.

A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are
B) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are
C) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals' horns have been
D) if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals' horns are
E) if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals' horns have been

OA C

All:
Yes this is correct. whether > if on gmat

Among A, B and C, B and A are rejected for lack of antecedents. YES I am not looking for the correct answer. I want to understand why "horns have been" is a correct usage. In other words, via is present perfect better than present tense ("are trimmed")The bigger issue here is whose horns - so the possessive "animals' horns" makes it clear whose horns we are talking about. "their" does not have clear antecedent in A and B

Any help is appreciated.

That doesnt answer my question. Can anyone please help me to understand why present perfect works here and not present tense ?

Thanks
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: og rc # 75 [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 17:40
The proposal is still in effect (still true) from the past. Hence present perfect.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: og rc # 75 [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 19:25
gmat1220 wrote:
The proposal is still in effect (still true) from the past. Hence present perfect.

I am sorry - I was referring to "animals' horns have been" vs "animals are". Thanks for your help. Appreciate it.

Voodoo child
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 1561 [1] , given: 249

Re: og rc # 75 [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 04:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The difference between ‘have been trimmed’ and ‘are trimmed’ is that trimming is a one –time job and not a daily chore. An event that was done in the past and which or whose effect is still carried through the present will have to be expressed in present perfect, while daily chores will have to be verbed with just present tense. So 'have been trimmed' is the preferred expression

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: og rc # 75 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 07:33
This post received
KUDOS
gmat1220 wrote:
voodoochild wrote:
All:
Yes this is correct. whether > if on gmat

I disagree with gmat1220 with his reasoning here; sorry no-offense. AFAIK here IF is WRONG! There is no question of whether>if. That might be true in general, but I think here IF is just blatantly wrong.

As far as I understood, if is ONLY used for condition and CAN'T be used for QUESTIONS!

Experts, please let me know if you disagree with me.

daagh wrote:
The difference between ‘have been trimmed’ and ‘are trimmed’ is that trimming is a one –time job and not a daily chore. An event that was done in the past and which or whose effect is still carried through the present will have to be expressed in present perfect, while daily chores will have to be verbed with just present tense. So 'have been trimmed' is the preferred expression

Thanks for the reasoning. This clarifies the same doubt I had.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 14

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 12:22
Quote:

In this question the OG says that "see" should be " to see" because it is parallel to " to visit", is it possible that in "to see" TO is understood and therefore it isn't shown?
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 276 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 23:00
IanSolo wrote:
Quote:

In this question the OG says that "see" should be " to see" because it is parallel to " to visit", is it possible that in "to see" TO is understood and therefore it isn't shown?

AND in between is making two separate lists i.e whether tourists will continue 1) to visit games parks and 2) to see rhinoceroses after their horns....
whereas they both are dependent as conveyed through the logical meaning i.e to visit games parks to see ..............

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 14

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 01:54
Quote:
AND in between is making two separate lists i.e whether tourists will continue 1) to visit games parks and 2) to see rhinoceroses after their horns....
whereas they both are dependent as conveyed through the logical meaning i.e to visit games parks to see ..............

So are you saying that with AND between the verbs you cannot use an elipses in the second infinite verb and then you have to write TO VISIT and TO SEE without delete the second TO?!
Thank you for the explanation!!
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 276 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 05:04
IanSolo wrote:
Quote:

So are you saying that with AND between the verbs you cannot use an elipses in the second infinite verb and then you have to write TO VISIT and TO SEE without delete the second TO?!
Thank you for the explanation!!

No i am saying to visit games parks to see( there is no and because to visit and see makes two separate lists whereas the logical meaning conveys one thing, which can be better conveyed using to visit to see
:)

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 14:47
visit and see

is similar to

see and visit

this case is not logical

is must be
visit to see.

we can change the order of do1 and do2, to see which case is correct.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 282

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 10:30
This post received
KUDOS
Let us make a 2/3 split on this.

If V/S Whether-

'whether' is used to indicate multiple or single possibilities

'If' is used to indicate a condition

Ex1- Roger cant decide whether to play tennis or football
Ex2- Roger will play if he is fit.

So, A,b,C remain. A and B there is some ambiguity. Choose C

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 07:16
voodoochild wrote:

OA C

First, I figured "whether" is wrong, but then I ignored that thought.

"Their" in A is ambiguous, "one" in B is ambiguous, "are" in D distorts meaning, it should be "have been". "One" in E is ambiguous, and C has no major problems, other than my issue with "whether". So I went with C.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GPA: 2.7
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2014, 11:37
voodoochild wrote:

OA C

All:

Among A, B and C, B and A are rejected for lack of antecedents. I am not looking for the correct answer. I want to understand why "horns have been" is a correct usage. In other words, via is present perfect better than present tense ("are trimmed")

Any help is appreciated.

Hi e-gmat,

Please can you explain why option A is wrong. I think there is nothing wrong when their refers to plural Rhinoceroces.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1243

Kudos [?]: 3437 [3] , given: 183

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2014, 08:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
msln2008 wrote:
voodoochild wrote:

OA C

All:

Any help is appreciated.

Hi e-gmat,

Please can you explain why option A is wrong. I think there is nothing wrong when their refers to plural Rhinoceroces.

Hi there,

Usually, when a pronoun begins a clause, it refers to the subject of the previous clause. In this context, the subject of the previous clause is "tourists". So, even though the logical antecedent of the pronoun "they" can't be "tourists", it's better to replace the pronoun with the noun that it should refer to.

As we point out in our SC1 live session, pronoun ambiguity is sometimes considered an error on the GMAT, but sometimes an ambiguous pronoun can be in the correct answer. So, we encourage you not to use pronoun ambiguity as the only criterion to eliminate an answer choice.

In this question, there is also another way to eliminate option A. Note the difference between "visit... and see" and "visit... to see". The intended meaning of the sentence is that tourists visit the zoo in order to see the rhinos. This meaning is correctly stated by using "to" rather than "and". The part before the semicolon also makes it clear that the sentence is concerned only with rhinos, and that any other reason that tourists may visit the zoo is not part of the intended meaning of the sentence. So, "visit... to see" is correct.

I hope this helps to resolve your doubt.

Regards,
Meghna

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2014, 08:23