Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 16:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
GPA: 3.9
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 45

A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2013, 11:32
A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discourage poachers; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are trimmed.

I know I will get it right most of the times, since their to me seems awkward, but if I go by what I learnt in e-gmat lectures, ambiguity of pronouns can be checked by indentifying the intended meaning. So whats the exception here? their horns so their can refer only to horns.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 7

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2013, 08:01
Expert's post
You're right about the horns part. However, the ambiguity here is not whether the reference is to horns but whose horns. Are the tourists or the rhinoceroses having horns removed?

It seems obvious given what we know about tourists and rhinos generally, but it's not clear from the structure of the sentence.

Economist GMAT Tutor
http://econgm.at/econgmat
(866) 292-0660

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1192

Kudos [?]: 3188 [0], given: 179

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 14:10
Expert's post
Hi there,

Thanks for posting your query here. :-)

As the previous poster has pointed out, 'their' does not refer to 'horns', but to either tourists or rhinoceroses. Although common sense may tell us that the rhinoceroses are more likely to have horns than the tourists are, the sentence should contain no ambiguity.

Also, note that when a pronoun begins a clause, it usually refers to the subject of the previous clause. In this case, 'tourists' is the subject of the preceding clause. This only worsens the problem in this option, since 'their' seems to be pointing to 'tourists'.

I hope this helps to clarify your doubt!

Regards,
Meghna

Free Webinar: August 03, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
GPA: 3.9
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 45

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 20:02
egmat wrote:
Hi there,

Thanks for posting your query here. :-)

As the previous poster has pointed out, 'their' does not refer to 'horns', but to either tourists or rhinoceroses. Although common sense may tell us that the rhinoceroses are more likely to have horns than the tourists are, the sentence should contain no ambiguity.

Also, note that when a pronoun begins a clause, it usually refers to the subject of the previous clause. In this case, 'tourists' is the subject of the preceding clause. This only worsens the problem in this option, since 'their' seems to be pointing to 'tourists'.

I hope this helps to clarify your doubt!

Regards,
Meghna

Okay new funda it is. Even if logical meaning may clear the pronoun reference but grammatically its wrong here as pronoun is referring to some other subject.

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2013, 20:02