Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 12:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 12:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

68% (01:41) correct 31% (00:57) wrong based on 73 sessions
21. A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discourage poachers; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are trimmed.
(A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are
(B) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are
(C) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns have been
(D) if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns are
(E) if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals’ horns have been

OA will follow later.

Please explain each wrong answer too !

Can someone move this to the verbal section ? I posted here by mistake :oops:
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

ash

Last edited by ashkg on 10 Jul 2005, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: mySC Rhino - Please move this [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 13:30
ashkg wrote:
21. A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discourage poachers; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are trimmed.
(A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are
(B) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are
(C) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns have been
(D) if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns are
(E) if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals’ horns have been

OA will follow later.

C.

D and E out we need 'whether' here since there is a possibility of an alternative
A is out since we need to say 'to visit to see' and not 'to visit and to see'
see logic here? actions are connected
B is out one <> their, also one is ambiguous
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: mySC Rhino - Please move this [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 14:50
sparky wrote:
ashkg wrote:

OA will follow later.

C.

D and E out we need 'whether' here since there is a possibility of an alternative

thanks sparky,

all,
here's my next question.

Assume option A was as below, then would it have been correct ?

(A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses after their horns are

what's wrong with the above ?

ash

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: mySC Rhino - Please move this [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 15:20
ashkg wrote:
sparky wrote:
ashkg wrote:

OA will follow later.

C.

thanks sparky,

all,
here's my next question.

Assume option A was as below, then would it have been correct ?

(A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses after their horns are

what's wrong with the above ?

a possibility of tourists with freshly trimmed horns going to the park to see rhinos ...

funny, i accidently posted this answer in your post, ash. Since i was added to mod list i got this edit button next to the quote button, sorry, fixed now
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 15:26
Quote:
a possibility of tourists with freshly trimmed horns going to the park to see rhinos ...

funny, i accidently posted this answer in your post, ash. Since i was added to mod list i got this edit button next to the quote button, sorry, fixed now

I felt that tourists can't have horns, so "their" is an unambiguous reference to rhinos.

Do you agree ?

ash

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 15:33
ashkg wrote:
Quote:

I felt that tourists can't have horns, so "their" is an unambiguous reference to rhinos.

Do you agree ?

technically yes, but the trick is that on the first occasional read the sentence must sound unambigous. when i read your A choice i had an impression that those may be tourists who have horns. Of course after you think about the sentence it's clear what is what but think about OG and how many questions it has in which you do understand the logic in the original sentence but still need to correct lots of stuff to make it sound right.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 15:59
A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present but that they will, or could, be made sufficiently safe in the future.
(A) that they will, or could,
(B) that they would, or could,
(C) they will be or could
(D) think that they will be or could
(E) think the power stations would or could

I'm pasting one of the older much discussed SC's. In the above , Answer is D and many agree that "they" is an unambiguous reference to nuclear plants just because "journalists" can't be made safe in the future.

So I'm considering it safe to use a similar logic in SC's to eliminiate ambiguity wrt pronoun reference

Let me know if you have any more suggestions/concepts clearing my confusion.

ash

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 16:08
ashkg wrote:
A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present but that they will, or could, be made sufficiently safe in the future.

I'm pasting one of the older much discussed SC's. In the above ,Answer is D and many agree that "they" is an unambiguous reference to nuclear plants just because "journalists" can't be made safe in the future.

So I'm considering it safe to use a similar logic in SC's to eliminiate ambiguity wrt pronoun reference

Let me know if you have any more suggestions/concepts clearing my confusion.

A,B, and E are out because they grammatically incorrect, be is missing after would or could

C and D aren't perfect at all

but i'd go with D because power plants can't 'think'

ash, i kind of agree SC can be contradicting at times but people who write those questions aren't perfect either.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 16:35
ashkg wrote:

a nice discussion was here: http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ernational
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: mySC Rhino [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 16:37
agree with C, a most unambigious one.

Quote:
A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discourage poachers; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are trimmed.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 18:43
akash, Are you starting a new thread?

Anyway, my choice would be C

D and E are out because of If
A lost ground by using 2 clauses and seperated the main heart of the question.
B, plain weird, one, their, after.... This choice can not make up its mind.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2005, 08:39
Hello ashkg,

You have asked two different questions.

The answer for the first question is C, because, it is the only choice, which does not have an illogical modifier.

With respect to your second question, there is no ambiguity as the word "they" clearly refers to the subject discussed here - "the nuclear power stations".

The Princeton Verbal Review, strongly suggests not to choose an answer choice with "they", but other choices are grammatically wrong.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: mySC Rhino [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2011, 08:23
(C)

A. whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are
B. whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are
C. whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals horns have been --> RIGHT
D. if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals horns are
E. if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals horns have been

Raptor

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 08:04
Hi,

I have question to one of the official guide explanations given in the OG. In answer choice D it is stated that "are" should be "have
been". Also in the general explanation it is said that "The verb following after should be the present-perfect have been trimmed to reflect
that the trimming must occur before the tourists arrive."

1) Why can't it be "are", since the sequence is already shown by the word after?
2) Would be the usage of "were" as simple past ok?
3) Why does this need to be present perfect?

If somebody could please explain this a bit further?

Thanks in advance
Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2013, 08:04