Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2015, 23:32
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2004
Posts: 444
Location: Cary,NC
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 12:01
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:50) correct 29% (01:07) wrong based on 224 sessions
A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discourage poachers; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are trimmed.

A. whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are
B. whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are
C. whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals' horns have been
D. if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals' horns are
E. if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals' horns have been

OA will follow later.

Please explain each wrong answer too !

Can someone move this to the verbal section ? I posted here by mistake :oops:
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

ash
________________________
I'm crossing the bridge.........


Last edited by reto on 09 Jul 2015, 03:13, edited 2 times in total.
underlined part, style & format
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 548
Location: Canuckland
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 13:30
ashkg wrote:
21. A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discourage poachers; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are trimmed.
(A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are
(B) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are
(C) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns have been
(D) if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns are
(E) if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals’ horns have been

OA will follow later.

Please explain each wrong answer too !

Can someone move this to the verbal section ? I posted here by mistake :oops:


C.

D and E out we need 'whether' here since there is a possibility of an alternative
A is out since we need to say 'to visit to see' and not 'to visit and to see'
see logic here? actions are connected
B is out one <> their, also one is ambiguous
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2004
Posts: 444
Location: Cary,NC
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 14:50
sparky wrote:
ashkg wrote:
21. A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discourage poachers; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are trimmed.
(A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are
(B) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are
(C) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns have been
(D) if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns are
(E) if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals’ horns have been

OA will follow later.

Please explain each wrong answer too !

Can someone move this to the verbal section ? I posted here by mistake :oops:


C.

D and E out we need 'whether' here since there is a possibility of an alternative
A is out since we need to say 'to visit to see' and not 'to visit and to see'
see logic here? actions are connected
B is out one <> their, also one is ambiguous


thanks sparky,

all,
here's my next question.

Assume option A was as below, then would it have been correct ?

(A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses after their horns are

what's wrong with the above ?
_________________

ash
________________________
I'm crossing the bridge.........

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 548
Location: Canuckland
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 15:20
ashkg wrote:
sparky wrote:
ashkg wrote:
21. A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discourage poachers; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are trimmed.
(A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are
(B) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are
(C) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns have been
(D) if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns are
(E) if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals’ horns have been

OA will follow later.

Please explain each wrong answer too !

Can someone move this to the verbal section ? I posted here by mistake :oops:


C.

D and E out we need 'whether' here since there is a possibility of an alternative
A is out since we need to say 'to visit to see' and not 'to visit and to see'
see logic here? actions are connected
B is out one <> their, also one is ambiguous


thanks sparky,

all,
here's my next question.

Assume option A was as below, then would it have been correct ?

(A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses after their horns are

what's wrong with the above ?



a possibility of tourists with freshly trimmed horns going to the park to see rhinos ...

funny, i accidently posted this answer in your post, ash. Since i was added to mod list i got this edit button next to the quote button, sorry, fixed now
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2004
Posts: 444
Location: Cary,NC
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 15:26
Quote:
a possibility of tourists with freshly trimmed horns going to the park to see rhinos ...

funny, i accidently posted this answer in your post, ash. Since i was added to mod list i got this edit button next to the quote button, sorry, fixed now


I felt that tourists can't have horns, so "their" is an unambiguous reference to rhinos.

Do you agree ?
_________________

ash
________________________
I'm crossing the bridge.........

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 548
Location: Canuckland
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 15:33
ashkg wrote:
Quote:
a possibility of tourists with freshly trimmed horns going to the park to see rhinos ...

funny, i accidently posted this answer in your post, ash. Since i was added to mod list i got this edit button next to the quote button, sorry, fixed now


I felt that tourists can't have horns, so "their" is an unambiguous reference to rhinos.

Do you agree ?


technically yes, but the trick is that on the first occasional read the sentence must sound unambigous. when i read your A choice i had an impression that those may be tourists who have horns. Of course after you think about the sentence it's clear what is what but think about OG and how many questions it has in which you do understand the logic in the original sentence but still need to correct lots of stuff to make it sound right.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2004
Posts: 444
Location: Cary,NC
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 15:59
A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present but that they will, or could, be made sufficiently safe in the future.
(A) that they will, or could,
(B) that they would, or could,
(C) they will be or could
(D) think that they will be or could
(E) think the power stations would or could

I'm pasting one of the older much discussed SC's. In the above , Answer is D and many agree that "they" is an unambiguous reference to nuclear plants just because "journalists" can't be made safe in the future.

So I'm considering it safe to use a similar logic in SC's to eliminiate ambiguity wrt pronoun reference

Let me know if you have any more suggestions/concepts clearing my confusion.
_________________

ash
________________________
I'm crossing the bridge.........

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 548
Location: Canuckland
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 16:08
ashkg wrote:
A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present but that they will, or could, be made sufficiently safe in the future.
(A) that they will, or could,
(B) that they would, or could,
(C) they will be or could
(D) think that they will be or could
(E) think the power stations would or could

I'm pasting one of the older much discussed SC's. In the above ,Answer is D and many agree that "they" is an unambiguous reference to nuclear plants just because "journalists" can't be made safe in the future.

So I'm considering it safe to use a similar logic in SC's to eliminiate ambiguity wrt pronoun reference

Let me know if you have any more suggestions/concepts clearing my confusion.


A,B, and E are out because they grammatically incorrect, be is missing after would or could

C and D aren't perfect at all

but i'd go with D because power plants can't 'think'

ash, i kind of agree SC can be contradicting at times but people who write those questions aren't perfect either.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 1731
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 16:35
ashkg wrote:
A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present but that they will, or could, be made sufficiently safe in the future.
(A) that they will, or could,
(B) that they would, or could,
(C) they will be or could
(D) think that they will be or could
(E) think the power stations would or could


a nice discussion was here: http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ernational
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 1731
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 16:37
agree with C, a most unambigious one.

Quote:
A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discourage poachers; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are trimmed.
(A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are
(B) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are
(C) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns have been
(D) if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns are
(E) if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals’ horns have been
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2005
Posts: 726
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 18:43
akash, Are you starting a new thread?

Anyway, my choice would be C

D and E are out because of If
A lost ground by using 2 clauses and seperated the main heart of the question.
B, plain weird, one, their, after.... This choice can not make up its mind.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 352
Location: USA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2005, 08:39
Hello ashkg,

You have asked two different questions.

The answer for the first question is C, because, it is the only choice, which does not have an illogical modifier.

With respect to your second question, there is no ambiguity as the word "they" clearly refers to the subject discussed here - "the nuclear power stations".

The Princeton Verbal Review, strongly suggests not to choose an answer choice with "they", but other choices are grammatically wrong.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 184
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2011, 08:23
(C)

A. whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are
B. whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are
C. whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals horns have been --> RIGHT
D. if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals horns are
E. if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals horns have been
_________________

Raptor

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 08:04
Hi,

I have question to one of the official guide explanations given in the OG. In answer choice D it is stated that "are" should be "have
been". Also in the general explanation it is said that "The verb following after should be the present-perfect have been trimmed to reflect
that the trimming must occur before the tourists arrive."

1) Why can't it be "are", since the sequence is already shown by the word after?
2) Would be the usage of "were" as simple past ok?
3) Why does this need to be present perfect?

If somebody could please explain this a bit further?

Thanks in advance
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 5106
Followers: 529

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2015, 13:27
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2015, 13:27
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses karlfurt 11 25 Sep 2006, 05:28
A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses mailtheguru 12 08 Jun 2006, 06:33
A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses razrulz 1 07 Feb 2006, 10:09
A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses Puilunchristin 7 20 Jan 2006, 14:56
A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses rahulraao 6 13 Sep 2005, 05:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.