Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 19:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2006, 05:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:40) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discourage poachers; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are trimmed.
(A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are
(B) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are
(C) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns have been
(D) if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns are(C)
(E) if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals’ horns have been

Again an SC which was much debated. C is clearly the answer but what disturbs me is the tense "horns have been".

If we look the order of the events

past........................................present .................futur
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
proposal.....horns trimmed .......question.............will visit

C says that the horns have been trimmed, so somewhere between the proposal and the present day. Thus, it means that the proposal isn't a proposal anymore since it has been applied(and voted).
So if it true that it is a proposal, then the horns have not been trimmed yet and present perfect should be wrong. Future would be better.

Thanks to share your comments whether they support or kill my argument!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2006, 05:48
Nice effort...you've completely dissected the problem :wink:

Instead of posting a direct reply, here is a similar question

Will frace continue to dominate world soccer once Zidane has left the team?
A. once Zidane has left the team
B. once Zidane leaves
C. when Zidane will leave

In my opinion the answer should be A..though I cannot pinpoint the exact grammar rule behind this

:roll:
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2006, 05:49

B. once Zidane leaves

In my opinion the answer should be A..though I cannot pinpoint the exact grammar rule behind this

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Berkeley Haas
Followers: 3

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2006, 09:58
I agree it should be A, cause Zidane has already left at the moment of question... If he would be GOING to leave - that is, on January 1, 2006 we discuss what happens when Zidane leaves in July - it would be B.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2006, 10:29
lanuk wrote:

B. once Zidane leaves

Yes but in your example, we know that zidane has left, so naturally we use past tense.
But in my examples, since at the time of the question which is occurs now, we are talking about a proposal, so the horns have not been trimmed yet. They will or might be.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2006, 17:43
I Like A too.

It is just absurd to use a present perfect in the condition clause.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question - Past tense [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2006, 19:24
Do we have to use "have been" because there is "will continue" in C?

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2006, 22:05
...whether s-body will do s-thing once s-thing else has been done... is a commonly used construction.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2006, 01:30
GMATT73 wrote:
...whether s-body will do s-thing once s-thing else has been done... is a commonly used construction.

3. even a single time; at any time; ever: If the facts once become known, it will be just too bad.

7. whenever; as soon as: Once you're finished, you can leave.

conj.
As soon as; if ever; when: Once he goes, we can clean up.

I took these examples from dictionnary.com, and as we can see, there is no rule about the tense after once.
Dont you share my point of view, that there' s something illogical with the rhinos?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2006, 02:07
Agree with GMATT73......"whether s-body will do s-thing once s-thing else has been done... is a commonly used construction."

Even in the example I quoted is in the same spirit:
"Will frace continue to dominate world soccer once Zidane has left the team"

This could be perfectly alright even if at the time of the question Zidane was still in the team.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question - Past tense [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2011, 08:10
(C)

A. whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are
B. whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are
C. whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals horns have been --> RIGHT
D. if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals horns are
E. if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals horns have been

Raptor

Intern
Intern

A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2013, 22:13
Hi, please find my analysis below. I'm finding A to be the correct choice IMO. Please clarify how C is correct.... :shock:

Meaning:

Horns are trimmed from Rhinoceroses to discourage Poachers.Will the tourists continue to visit game parks and see rhinos after their horns are trimmed.

Error analysis

Inference: Tourists are not visiting parks just to see rhinos. Hence " To visit parks an see Rhinos" is correctly used.Also, "To visit parks to see rhinos" can't be used.
"Their"in "Their Horns" refers to the nearest noun.

Choice analysis"

a) The original sentence is unambiguous and clearly states the intended meaning- Correct
b) The sentence says that tourists visit parts to see Rhinos. This changes the intended meaning.
c) Same as B. Also, animals' horns is redundant.
d) "If" usage is wrong.
e) "If" usage is wrong.
A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2013, 22:13