Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Apr 2014, 22:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 18:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (01:35) correct 27% (00:46) wrong based on 59 sessions
21. A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discourage poachers; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are trimmed.
(A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are
(B) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are
(C) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns have been
(D) if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns are
(E) if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals’ horns have been

Please explain ur answers..

Thx
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by ankurgupta03 on 27 Feb 2014, 06:40, edited 1 time in total.
added the OA
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Rhinoceroses..!!! [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 20:04
21. A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discourage poachers; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are trimmed.
(A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are
(B) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are
(C) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns have been
(D) if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns are
(E) if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals’ horns have been

IMO A

B-PRONOUN ERROR
C-UNNECESSARILY WORDY
D-'IF' NOT PREFERRED OVER 'WHETHER'
E-'IF' NOT PREFERRED OVER 'WHETHER'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rhinoceroses..!!! [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 21:06
Ok , here is what i feel

1 "their" is ambiguous ; pointing to rhino or people ??
2 same "their"
3 This makes sense (though wordy but conveys the meaning 'right')
4 ' If ' shud not be used
5 same as 4

ANS : 3
Manager
Manager

Re: Rhinoceroses..!!! [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 21:09
prateek11587 wrote:

IMO A

B-PRONOUN ERROR
C-UNNECESSARILY WORDY
D-'IF' NOT PREFERRED OVER 'WHETHER'
E-'IF' NOT PREFERRED OVER 'WHETHER'

Even i went for A...but correct answer as per 1000 SC is C.
I am not able to make out why do we need past perfect "have been" ?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Rhinoceroses..!!! [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 21:10
This is the OG question. You can get better explanation.
C is correct.
Reason: Pronoun should correctly identify corresponding Noun. Here "their" is not clear whether it is referring to animals or visitors.
Manager
Manager

Re: Rhinoceroses..!!! [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 21:16
stallone wrote:
Ok , here is what i feel

1 "their" is ambiguous ; pointing to rhino or people ??
2 same "their"
3 This makes sense (though wordy but conveys the meaning 'right')
4 ' If ' shud not be used
5 same as 4

ANS : 3

Is "their" ambiguous here since logically people can't have "horns" .I am confused should we think "logically" while making out pronoun referents ?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Rhinoceroses..!!! [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2008, 20:02
THX FOR THE EXPLANATION GUYS..

I'VE GOT TO WORK ON PRONOUNS..
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 25

Re: Rhinoceroses..!!! [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 21:21
Shouldnt the answer have IF becuase it is describing a hypothetical situation and not one with alternatives(whether)?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rhinoceroses..!!! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 13:38
diehard4 wrote:

Please explain ur answers..

Thx

I Will also go with A..

C & D are out because they USE IF.
B is also out because here to see one once their horns to see one(singular) once their(plural) is wrong.
C is wordy So A is the right answer...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Rhinoceroses..!!! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2011, 00:15
Quote:
Even i went for A...but correct answer as per 1000 SC is C.
I am not able to make out why do we need past perfect "have been" ?

'have been' is present perfect and not past perfect. 'Had been' is past perfect.

C should be absolutely correct, A has a pronoun error.

Shouldnt the answer have IF becuase it is describing a hypothetical situation and not one with alternatives(whether)?

Alternative 1 - whether tourists will come

Alternative 2 - whether tourists will not come

There is no hypothetical situation mentioned in the question.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HEC
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

Re: Rhinoceroses..!!! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2011, 15:00
I answered it in another way: The question to me is much rather whether "tourists come to the park and see rhinoceroses" or whether "tourists come to the park to see rhinoceroses". I think this answer (C) conveys the message much better and resolves the pronoun problem (their) as well.

MGMAT 1 - 580 - Q36 V33
MGMAT 2 - 650 - Q44 V35
GMAT 1 - 690 - Q48 V38
MGMAT 3 - 680 - Q47 V36
MGMAT 4 - 690 - Q44 V39
GMAT 2 - 700 - Q48 V37

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rhinoceroses..!!! [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2011, 00:46
C
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Rhinoceroses..!!! [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 03:03
This post received
KUDOS
diehard4 wrote:

Two step process:
Step 1:
Gottesschaf wrote:
I answered it in another way: The question to me is much rather whether "tourists come to the park and see rhinoceroses" or whether "tourists come to the park to see rhinoceroses". I think this answer (C) conveys the message much better

This is good thinking. For example, "I went to the store and saw Mary" means I had no intention of seeing her and she happened to be there. "I went to the store to see Mary" means I knew Mary would be at the store and the purpose of my trip was to see her.
In our sentence the question is whether tourists will make a trip with the purpose of seeing the rhinos (not if the tourists will accidentally see rhinos). A and D - crossed off.

Step 2: As mentioned before, the pronoun "their" is a little ambiguous, as is the use of "one" in B and E. "One" needs to be much clearer. Here it could refer to "one" rhino or "one" horn. B and E - crossed off.
Answer: C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rhinoceroses..!!! [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 18:30
C
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rhinoceroses..!!! [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 04:40
C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rhinoceroses..!!! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 22:23
C but not A
They visit to see, not just visit and in addition see.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Schulich '16

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Rhinoceroses..!!! [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 03:14
D and E are out .

A and B have pronoun error as discussed which is not in C.
But i would like add one more point that C uses the correct verb tense(Present perfect)
"whether tourists will ....... once the animals’ horns have been" i.e if the proposal goes thru..the horns of tha animals will be trimmed. So the EFFECT remains.Pls refer MGMAT SC if you dont understand EFFECT analysis here.

-Harry
Verbal Expert
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 238

Kudos [?]: 1167 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Rhinoceroses..!!! [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 05:55
Expert's post
The methodical steps to this issue may be:
1. This is question of deciding on a dilemma. Hence the conditional ‘if’ is irrelevant; dump D and E.
2. “To see” denotes the purpose of a visit and better than ‘and see’. Hence A is out.
3. To see “one” after “their” horns: the subject - pronoun number mismatch is too glaring.
4. C is the remainder
IMO, the difference in the use of present perfect or present tense is rather too thin. Both are acceptable in formal writing I suppose. As in this case: - I wonder whether I can enjoy bones once my teeth are broken - is as good as - I wonder whether I can enjoy bones once my teeth have been broken - nothing much to choose from. But this is just my feeling.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2014, 07:24
diehard4 wrote:

As per OG The verb following after should
be the present-perfect have been trimmed to reflect
that the trimming must occur before the tourists
arrive.

But already the time maker after is there, so why is it necessary to use present perfect tense here

Also what is the basic difference in using whether and if? When to use if and when to use whether?
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1062

Kudos [?]: 2532 [0], given: 164

GMAT Tests User
Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 04:12
Expert's post
jrashish wrote:

As per OG The verb following after should
be the present-perfect have been trimmed to reflect
that the trimming must occur before the tourists
arrive.

But already the time maker after is there, so why is it necessary to use present perfect tense here

Also what is the basic difference in using whether and if? When to use if and when to use whether?

Hi Ashish,

Time markers such as "before" and "after" should be used to substitute actions only when the past perfect tense is used. This rule does not apply to the present perfect tense, since this tense doesn't need two actions. The present perfect tense refers to an action that started in the past and has continued into the present. It can stand on its own without reference to any other action.

"If" should be used in "if-then" contexts: i.e., the conditional use. E.g. 'If X happens, Y will happen'. 'Whether' is used when there is a choice between two things. E.g. It is unclear whether the company will increase production. Meaning: the company may increase production, or it may not.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Meghna

Free trial:Click here to start free trial (100+ free practice questions)
Free Session: September 14: Learn how to define your GMAT strategy, create your study plan and master the core skills to excel on the GMAT. Click here to attend.
ImageImageImageImage

Re: A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2014, 04:12