Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 06:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A proposed law in State Q requires that all applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 68 [1] , given: 8

A proposed law in State Q requires that all applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2011, 06:29
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

37% (02:15) correct 63% (01:23) wrong based on 42 sessions
A proposed law in State Q requires that all applicants receive training and pass a road test under winter conditions before they are granted drivers' licenses. During debate on the legislation, a council member argued that the enormous expenditures required for the law could not be justified by public safety needs, and that the money would be better spent on other programs. The council member noted that over the past five years, fewer than fifteen percent of motor vehicle collisions in the state occurred when there was snow on the ground.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the council member's argument?

The majority of car accidents in State Q involving death or serious injury in the last two years occurred when there was snow or ice on the road.
The majority of car accidents in State Q in any given year do not result in any personal injury, only property damage.
State Q, located in the northern portion of the country, experiences snow more often than any other state in the country.
Most drivers in State Q have no formal training in techniques for driving in the snow.
State Q has the highest number of motor vehicle fatalities in the entire country.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA Institute (CFA Candiate), Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CA Candiate), Chartered Alternative Investments Analysts Association (CAIA Candidate)
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Research (Investment Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 1

Re: CR - 700 level - roadtest [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2011, 06:58
This post received
KUDOS
The councilors conclusion: "the enormous expenditures required for the law could not be justified by public safety needs, and that the money would be better spent on other programs"

In order to weaken it, we might look for one of the following:

- The expenditure would not be as "enormous" as suggested by the councilor.
- Public safety needs do justify the law.
- The money could not be better spent on other programs.

(B) This strengthens the argument, because the implication is that car accidents do not jeopardize public safety.
(C) Irrelevant information, as we already have empirical proof suggesting that 15% of accidents occur during snowy conditions. A comparison to other states is unecessary.
(D) This strengthens the argument, as it implies that everyone would have to be trained/retrained. It also implies that even though no one has this training, only 15% of accidents are as a result of winter driving. Does not weaken the argument in any way.
(E) This is the next best alternative, but it doesn't provide us with enough information. What if most fatalities occur during the summer months? What if they only have 1 fatality a year, while other states have none?

Answer (A) This directly weakens his argument, by suggesting that although only 15% of accidents occur during snowy conditions, more than 50% (majority) of fatal accidents occur when there is snow/ice on the ground. This weakens his argument most.

Please KUDOS generously if you feel I've been of service. :)

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - 700 level - roadtest [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2011, 07:19
A real toughie for me.

I liked A a lot, but it limits the scope of accidents to only those which involve injury or fatality.

I toyed with C for a while, as i felt that one of the reasons why there were only 15% accidents in snow was because of the training and road test on snow.

I finally settled with E.

I will go with E here. What is the OA?
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - 700 level - roadtest [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2011, 11:40
+1 A

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Re: CR - 700 level - roadtest [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2011, 22:18
crick20002002 wrote:
I finally settled with E.

I will go with E here. What is the OA?

If all these accidents were in the summer, the program would still be ineffective -> [strike]E[/strike]
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: AIChE, AAEES, EIT
GPA: 3.8
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 19

Re: CR - 700 level - roadtest [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2011, 15:05
A

Clearly weakens the argument.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. (Gandhi)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 46

Re: CR - 700 level - roadtest [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2011, 18:05
D for me.

bschool83 - what's OA?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 25

Re: CR - 700 level - roadtest [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 17:39
+1 A in 1:36.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - 700 level - roadtest [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 02:11
I chose D....but after going through other explanations.....its clearly A

Aim 720+

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 166

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - 700 level - roadtest [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 02:45
Am still not clear why it is A ?

The argument states the fact that "The council member noted that over the past five years, fewer than fifteen percent of motor vehicle collisions in the state occurred when there was snow on the ground." But the option (A) tells that "The majority of car accidents in State Q involving death or serious injury in the last two years occurred when there was snow or ice on the road." Aren't we contradicting the premise or observation given in the argument?

What I know is to solve a CR question, we should not contradict or change the information given.
Please clarify

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 32

Re: CR - 700 level - roadtest [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 07:06
+1 A

My take on this question:

council member's premise: over the past five years, fewer than fifteen percent of motor vehicle collisions in the state occurred when there was snow on the ground
Council member's conclusion: the enormous expenditures required for the law could not be justified by public safety needs, and that the money would be better spent on other programs.

My paraphrase of a weakening answer: Even though only fifteen percent of motor vehicle collisions occurred due to snow on the ground, these collisions were fatal, thus the price of people's lives is incomparable to anything else, and we should invest money.

bschool83 wrote:
Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the council member's argument?

A. The majority of car accidents in State Q involving death or serious injury in the last two years occurred when there was snow or ice on the road.
correct - weakens. if accidents caused by snow on the road are fatal, then any measure to prevent such collisions, however small in number, is necessary irrespective of cost

B. The majority of car accidents in State Q in any given year do not result in any personal injury, only property damage.
strengthens council member's argument

C. State Q, located in the northern portion of the country, experiences snow more often than any other state in the country.
irrelevant - argument does not depend on comparing state Q with other states

D. Most drivers in State Q have no formal training in techniques for driving in the snow.
Trap wrong answer, this statement strengthens the proposed law, but does not touche the council member's argument, hence irrelevant

E. State Q has the highest number of motor vehicle fatalities in the entire country.
irrelevant, council member's argument concerns motor vehicles accidents caused only by snow on road, not all motor cycle accidents.

cheers
Mayank
My GMAT Journey: 720 + dare = 760

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Aidha
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - 700 level - roadtest [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 07:26
The argument says that according to council member money should not be wasted on licensing for snow as the number of accidents have been few. Right after reading the question, we must ask:

1. what if all the accidents have happened in snow or
2. what if there could have been more accidents if training on snow was not provided.

Any option in alignment with these two choices will weaken the council member's conclusion. Option A aligns with doubt no 1.

If my post did a dance in your mind, send me the steps through kudos :)

My MBA journey at http://mbadilemma.wordpress.com/

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ross '15, Duke '15

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - 700 level - roadtest [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 07:31
+1 for A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 8

Re: CR - 700 level - roadtest [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2011, 14:36
The council member argued that because there were very few accidents in winter conditions, added expenditure for the law is unjustified.

So, to weaken the argument I was looking for something that justifies the added expenditure.

The majority of car accidents in State Q involving death or serious injury in the last two years occurred when there was snow or ice on the road. SOUNDS RIGHT (WEAKEN)
The majority of car accidents in State Q in any given year do not result in any personal injury, only property damage. STRENGTHEN
State Q, located in the northern portion of the country, experiences snow more often than any other state in the country. OUT OF SCOPE
Most drivers in State Q have no formal training in techniques for driving in the snow. OUT OF SCOPE
State Q has the highest number of motor vehicle fatalities in the entire country. IRRELEVANT
Re: CR - 700 level - roadtest   [#permalink] 30 Aug 2011, 14:36