Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 09:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A public health official reported that 60 percent of the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Reviews Badge
A public health official reported that 60 percent of the [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 10:55
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (02:39) correct 42% (01:50) wrong based on 84 sessions
A public health official reported that 60 percent of the children at summer school have never had the measles or chicken pox, and that of this 60 percent not one child has ever been observed to eat the cheese served in the school lunches. From this he concluded that children who abstain from cheese products will protect themselves from most childhood disease.

Each of the following, if true, would strengthen the official's argument EXCEPT:
A. Medically speaking, whatever serves to inhibit measles and chicken pox will generally inhibit the entire spectrum of childhood diseases.
B. The observations the official carried out were extremely accurate, and all those observed to abstain from cheese at school did, in fact, abstain.
C. The children's eating habits are the same at school as anywhere else, and those who abstain from cheese products at school do so in general.
D. Recent research has pointed to a deficiency in cheese products as one of the major causes of measles and chicken pox infections.
E. Most cheeses and cheese products harbor bacteria that are known to be causative agents for many childhood diseases, such as measles and chicken pox.

Am still not convinced with their OA

Need help..
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR question from KAPTEST [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 11:13
pretty simple

This is a opposite answer... the official concludes that avoiding cheese will help avoid measles and other diseases... where as D says a defeciency in chees products make people more prone to measles

A : A is a conclusion from the premise which says children who avoid cheese products will avoid measles and chicken pox.. and then finally concludes that these children will avoid most childhood diseases.

- so if A were true the official's conclusion about children managing to avoid most diseases will be true: strengthen - out

B: this says that the data used to predict the outcome is correct... so it strengthen's the fact to some extent.. but if you are still not convinced.. : hold it

C : confirms that people who dont eat cheese products at school are usually the this way and dont abstain from cheese at school only : strengthen because the conclusion is based on the assumption that people who dont eat cheese will not fall sick

D : this says that people who generally dont eat cheese will have greater probability to contact measles.. so the author's conclusion that staying away from cheese helps prevent measles is wrong : weaken

E: If cheese products have bacteria that cause measles and other diseases, children will be protected if they abstain from eating cheese : strengthen

so the clear winner is D... hope this helps... btw why do you disagree?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR question from KAPTEST [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 11:15
btw i see this is your first post - so Welcome to GC!!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: CR question from KAPTEST [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 11:23
D
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 634 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR question from KAPTEST [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 16:41
rvinodhini wrote:

D. Recent research has pointed to a deficiency in cheese products as one of the major causes of measles and chicken pox infections.

When I read the sentence above, I have no idea what it means. I can only guess they intend the above to mean that those with a *diet* deficient in cheese products are more susceptible to measles or chicken pox infection. But the word 'deficiency' can mean two different things. It can mean a 'lack' or 'shortage' in something, but it can also mean a 'shortcoming' in something. That is, the above sentence could equally well mean that the cheese products themselves have some flaw or shortcoming which causes measles. That's how I interpreted the sentence on a first reading, and of course with that interpretation, this answer choice implies that those exposed to cheese products would then be more likely to contract measles.

So the writing here is so imprecise, answer choice D can mean two exactly opposite things. It's a badly written question, and no real GMAT question is ever so careless with language.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Reviews Badge
Re: CR question from KAPTEST [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 21:30
viks4gmat wrote:
btw i see this is your first post - so Welcome to GC!!!

Thanks viks4gmat...

I was confused with the usage of the word deficiency in option D...
My inference when i read the sentence was that, cheese products have some flaw which causes measles..so my conclusion...does not weaken the argument...

IanStewart wrote:
rvinodhini wrote:

That is, the above sentence could equally well mean that the cheese products themselves have some flaw or shortcoming which causes measles. That's how I interpreted the sentence on a first reading, and of course with that interpretation, this answer choice implies that those exposed to cheese products would then be more likely to contract measles.

So the writing here is so imprecise, answer choice D can mean two exactly opposite things. It's a badly written question, and no real GMAT question is ever so careless with language.

Thanks Ian for the explanation...Hope we dont get such q's in the exam
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 259 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR question from KAPTEST [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 22:30
+1 D

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: A public health official reported that 60 percent of the [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 22:06
D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 56

Re: A public health official reported that 60 percent of the [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 04:55
"deficiency in cheese products" means "lack of cheese products in the diet"? Is this proper meaning of the statement? I disagree with this meaning.

The statement sounds like there is some problem with cheese products that is causing diseases. Hence D cannot be correct. Anyone else?

Click on Kudos if you liked the post!

Practice makes Perfect.

Re: A public health official reported that 60 percent of the   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2014, 04:55