Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [23]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [9]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Business Consulting
 Q44  V25 GMAT 2: 600  Q50  V22
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [10]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Send PM
Re: 70 students are enrolled in Math, English, or German. 40 students are [#permalink]
whiplash2411 wrote:
I think the OA makes perfect sense. And you cannot just ignore the term exactly. Exactly two means that they are not enrolled in all three classes. The simplest way to extract info from what's given is to draw a Venn Diagram.

Attachment:
c73058.jpg

So, from this picture, we are asked to find out what \(x+y+z\) is.

Let's look at given information and form the constraints:

Total = 70

\(x+y+z+a+b+c+15 = 70\)

\((x+y+z) + (a+b+c) = 55\)

Total Math = 40

\(x+y+a+15 = 40\)

\(x+y = 25-a\)

Total German = 30

\(y+z+c+15 = 30\)

\(y+z = 15 -c\)

Total English = 35

\(x+z+b+15 = 35\)

\(x+z = 20-b\)

So now combining all the bolded equations regarding totals of each subject we get

\(2(x+y+z) = 15+25+20 - (a+b+c) = 60 - (a+b+c)\)

So \((a+b+c) = 60 - 2(x+y+z)\)

Now substituting this into the first equation regarding total students, we get

\((x+y+z) + 60 - 2(x+y+z) = 55\)

Hence \(x+y+z = 5\)

nravi4: The mistake you made in getting 50 is this. You counted the students enrolled in two of three subjects, but not strictly so. So your calculation includes the central space of 15 which is students enrolled in all three subjects for each subject you counted. So to get to the answer from your answer you need to do \(50 - (3*15) = 5\)

Hope this is clear.

Hi

cant we take 'a' as 40 here as it is mentioned exactly 40 on math?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Re: 70 students are enrolled in Math, English, or German. 40 students are [#permalink]
It says that exactly 40 are in math, not that 40 are in ONLY math. The people who take Math and English or Math and German or even all three are also in math, aren't they not? So you can't take a to be 40 since 40 is the sum of a,x, y and 15, i.e. people who take only Math, people who take Math and English, people who take Math and German and people who take all three. Hope this is clear.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [3]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi, there! I'm happy to help with this question. :)

The Barron's answer is correct, but they shot through some complicated stuff awfully quickly.

Fact #1 = There are 70 students total.

Fact #2 = There are 40 in maths, 35 in English, 30 in German, for a total of 105.

This 105 is, of course, more than the total number of students ---- this is because the folks taking exactly two courses (the "doublers") have been counted twice, and the folks taking three courses (the "triplers") have been counted three times.

Fact #3 = 15 students are taking all three, i.e. there are 15 triplers.

So, if we want to make the 105 number jive with the actual total of 70, we have do two things
a) subtract the doublers once -- they are counted twice, and we only want them counted once
b) subtract the triplers twice --- they are counted three times, and we only want them counted once, so we have to subtract twice that total. That's where the mysterious factor of 2 arises ------ it's what you have to subtract from how many times they've been counted (3x) so that you are left with only counting them once. (If we subtracted the number of triplers times 3, the result would be that they wouldn't be counted at all!)

If we call the number of doublers N, this logic leads us to the Barron's equation

70 = 105 - N - 2*15

which leads to the Barron's answer of N = 5.

Does that make sense? Please let me know if you have any further question.

Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 508 [0]
Concentration: Supply Chain, Logistics
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Send PM
Bunuel did excellent discussion on the topic covering whole concept on the following link:

formulae-for-3-overlapping-sets-69014.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 248 [5]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT Date: 05-31-2012
Send PM
Kudos