Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 15:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A question for GMAT tutors

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 15

A question for GMAT tutors [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 07:44
Hi,

I've started "studying" for the GMAT about 2-3 months ago. However a normal person wouldn't call it studying since all I have been doing is solving questions every now and then and just reviewing my wrong answers. During high school and college years I never studied, all I did was attend classes and answer exams based on my understanding from classes, with some review to my notes to memorize formulas, such as Present Value etc.. This solving/reviewing strategy helped me improve my grade on the gmat from 490 to 660, however I can't seem to improve although I think I am easily capable of improving my score since I haven't studied any material completely.

I'm sure, as tutors, you have encountered various types of students, each student having his own way of learning. So since I haven't really studied anything my whole life, im really having trouble studying, I'm just lost, I feel like I don't know where to start, and don't know what to study or how to do it. Unfortunately there are no proper training courses in my country for the GMAT and I also don't want to join a new online course where I have to go through all the basics again. So if anyone who has gone through the same issue can kindly help me out, I would appreciate it. :)

Peace out.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 286

Kudos [?]: 634 [0], given: 6

Re: A question for GMAT tutors [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 13:23
Expert's post
Hi albuloushi,

It's a bit hard to believe that you've never studied anything in your life, but I do see where you're coming from.

Indeed, every student has his or her own best learning style. It's up to you to figure out what is best for yourself. If you can't learn well from books, then don't spend all day reading books. If you're interested in the GMATPill program, look at some sample videos and see if they are helpful for you.

For students who are looking for full, comprehensive reviews of every concept they learned in high school and for the names of all the fancy grammatical concepts one could make up when analyzing a question - we tell these students not to take GMATPill.

Why?

Because we focus on teaching ONLY the most important concepts - just enough for you to maximize your chance of getting questions correct and minimizing the amount of time you spend studying. If this is what you're looking for, we may be able to help. But you need to decide that for yourself.

No proper training courses in your country? Which country are you from? Amazingly, we've helped students from all over the world - including countries we never heard of. Your best bet may to be find an online solution, especially if in-person solutions are limited in your area.

Hope that helps!

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1070

Kudos [?]: 4772 [0], given: 163

Re: A question for GMAT tutors [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 00:54
Expert's post
Albuloushi wrote:
Hi,

I've started "studying" for the GMAT about 2-3 months ago. However a normal person wouldn't call it studying since all I have been doing is solving questions every now and then and just reviewing my wrong answers. During high school and college years I never studied, all I did was attend classes and answer exams based on my understanding from classes, with some review to my notes to memorize formulas, such as Present Value etc.. This solving/reviewing strategy helped me improve my grade on the gmat from 490 to 660, however I can't seem to improve although I think I am easily capable of improving my score since I haven't studied any material completely.

I'm sure, as tutors, you have encountered various types of students, each student having his own way of learning. So since I haven't really studied anything my whole life, im really having trouble studying, I'm just lost, I feel like I don't know where to start, and don't know what to study or how to do it. Unfortunately there are no proper training courses in my country for the GMAT and I also don't want to join a new online course where I have to go through all the basics again. So if anyone who has gone through the same issue can kindly help me out, I would appreciate it. :)

Peace out.

It is easier to go from 500 to 600 since at 500, there are gaps in conceptual understanding. Once you fill those gaps, you are at 600. Beyond 650, let's say to cross the revered 700, you need to put in much more effort. The reason is that the concept application is more involved and convoluted after that.

There are various options suitable to suit your study style:

1. Practicing using high level questions - Start doing advanced problems (e.g. those in Advanced Problem Solving book of Veritas). You will not be able to solve quite a few of these questions. Check out their explanations. You will learn new concepts. Make sure you understand the complete theory behind them. Then practice some more questions based on the same concept.

2. Taking specialized courses e.g. the Veritas weekend online course - The Veritas weekend course was created to cover the essential GMAT material that every student must know to succeed. Students meet on two back-to-back Saturdays to learn strategies, GMAT-specific content, and skills that the test takers must master to excel on the GMAT. Starting at 650, this would be the right option for you instead of the full course.

3. Taking help from a private tutor - To get the maximum benefit, you will first need to go through option 1 suggested above. Identify concepts you have issues in. Thereafter, you could ask a private tutor to help you work out the kinks. Also, he could help you focus on the method of arriving at the solution so that it is optimum and time saving.

Since you haven't gone through the complete theory even once, my suggestion would be to at least take a look at the full set of books once. You might come across things you never thought about but got right on instinct. In trickier questions, sometimes instinct may not work and actually knowing the concept may.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 307 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: A question for GMAT tutors [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 12:28
You sound to me like a street smart guy who can really ace the GMAT. If you havenot studied and are now preparing for GMAT and getting a 650, a little stucture can put you to 700. Read some of the debriefs on this site and Beat the GMAT and formulate your own strategy.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1070

Kudos [?]: 4772 [0], given: 163

Re: A question for GMAT tutors [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 22:40
Expert's post
Responding to a pm:

This score will not matter if you get 700+ next time. Most schools take your best/latest score.

To overcome the Verbal problem, you will have to 'study' this time. It's hard to 'study' for English but not for 'Verbal section of the GMAT'. Read books, magazines etc - fine. But you need to be more pro-active too. There are 3 question types in Verbal section (CR/SC/RC) and each has various different types of questions within it. Sit down with a book and 'study' each question type - how to identify a type, what it gives, what it asks, what it expects you to focus on etc. Then practice what you 'learn' on practice questions. Also, if financials permit, a classroom course/online course/private tutor will be immensely helpful since you are one of those who learns best when someone explains it to you. You might find self study a little difficult but you are the best judge of how to balance your costs and benefits. Of course, a private tutor will be more value for money since you want to focus on Verbal while a course will have equal no. of Quant classes too.
In essence, start from the scratch and work hard. It takes time and effort but it is certainly do-able.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: A question for GMAT tutors   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2013, 22:40