Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 16:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A question for Mr. Bodine

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

A question for Mr. Bodine [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 11:39
Hello,

First of all I want to say that your help is greatly appreciated and I have learned a lot from the many evaluations that you have done.

My question is as follows: I see many bright young people on this site that have great profiles. Great work experience, leadership skills and 750+ GMAT scores. You suggest that top schools like HBS and Stanford would still be somewhat out of reach for them. Yet, when I look up average GMAT scores of students accepted at these institutions, I see 700-715. This means that there are plenty with sub 700 scores that get in. What could they possibly have on their resumes to be able to do that?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 13:40
Hayabusa, obviously the first answer that you'll get is, "Well, GMAT itself means diddly-squat !!". But I think your question is deeper than that. Let me try to elaborate on your question (Please correct me if I am taking a different direction):

If one has fairly good experiences, great scores and good leadership skills, what can (s)he do to show that extra "spark" that H/S need (Without starting up companies, saving africa from starvation or finding the cure for cancer. How many MBA applicants have this kind of a background anyway?).

I read some posts by a girl (Intentionally not giving more details about her) who got selected in Stanford. Her sentence-formation and reasoning skills seemed quite ordinary to me (Although I do realize that people are not at their best when chatting on forums .. but I believe that your quality still shows). Without disrespecting her, I started wondering what kind of qualities she possessed that the school wanted her more than a lot of very strong profiles that we saw on GMATClub. I am not trying to diss her. I am just trying to find out in what areas I need to improve to be wanted by H/S.

ps. You may want to post this in the "The B-School Application" section also as a lot more applicants might have things to say and ask in this regard.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: A question for Mr. Bodine [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2007, 17:16
Hayabusa wrote:
Hello,

First of all I want to say that your help is greatly appreciated and I have learned a lot from the many evaluations that you have done.

My question is as follows: I see many bright young people on this site that have great profiles. Great work experience, leadership skills and 750+ GMAT scores. You suggest that top schools like HBS and Stanford would still be somewhat out of reach for them. Yet, when I look up average GMAT scores of students accepted at these institutions, I see 700-715. This means that there are plenty with sub 700 scores that get in. What could they possibly have on their resumes to be able to do that?

Hayabusa,

What they can have on their resumes is a track record of extraordinary leadership and impact and experiences that are distinctive relative to the average B-school applicant. When they have these, they can get into elite schools with GMAT scores under 700. There are also applicants from certain underrepresented groups such as African Americans, Native Americans, and Hispanic Americans who are cut some additional slack on their GMAT scores. The very top schools want outstanding leaders more than they want effective test-takers or quant jocks.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter