Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 04:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A question of Degree

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

A question of Degree [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2004, 14:12
Can some one rationalize through the answer?
The element of difficulty seems to be embedded in determining the 'degree of practicability' of each of the answers. How do you guys go about approaching such questions tinged with subjective-dilemmas?

15. Some who favor putting governmental enterprises into private hands suggest that conservation objectives would in general be better served if private environmental groups were put in charge of operating and financing the national park system, which is now run by the government.

Which of the following, assuming that it is a realistic possibility, argues most strongly against the suggestion above?

(A) Those seeking to abolish all restrictions on exploiting the natural resources of the parks might join the private environmental groups as members and eventually take over their leadership.

(B) Private environmental groups might not always agree on the best ways to achieve conservation objectives.

(C) If they wished to extend the park system, the private environmental groups might have to seek contributions from major donors and the general public.

(D) There might be competition among private environmental groups for control of certain park areas.

(E) Some endangered species, such as the California condor, might die out despite the best efforts of the private environmental groups, even if those groups are not hampered by insufficient resources.

An OG question

To me, there are at least 3 potential suitors. Needless to say I'm being somewhat miserly in my elimination process. Will post answer shortly

<b>Samson: Lyle, I'm tellin' you this operation is 100% legit.
Sheriff Lyle: I never heard an honest man use "legit".
~ Carnivale</b>

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2004, 17:44
I would pick B. C, D and E out of context. Between A and B, B is better.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2004, 19:19
Yeah B seems the better choice b/w A n B . B
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2004, 19:19
Yeah B seems the better choice b/w A n B . B
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2004, 21:01
I would actually pick A. A shows the disadvange of putting governmental enterprises into private hands.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2004, 21:10
I will pick A, because it shows a real disadvantage of putting the park into private hands.

Answer B may be confusing too, but it is too extreme, using extreme world such as not always...
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2004, 07:50
Would go with "A". B doesn't make sense as it may be possible that even with private concerns not agreeing on something, they can still get the job done.
Intern
Intern

Aint that too imaginative for ...ETS at any rate [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2004, 11:29
Isn't A too imaginative for it to be practicable?

Answer acc to OG is A.

Are we to assume that members inimical to the cause of the (pressure) group, principally conservation, will be allowed to steer it away from its course so deftly?

I'd be indebted to those who can provide their rationale for being able to eliminate [C] at first sight.

<b>Samson: Lyle, I'm tellin' you this operation is 100% legit.
Sheriff Lyle: I never heard an honest man use "legit".
~ Carnivale</b>

Aint that too imaginative for ...ETS at any rate   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2004, 11:29