Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 08:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A Question on multiple graph charts with varied weights

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1238

Kudos [?]: 3421 [1] , given: 183

A Question on multiple graph charts with varied weights [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 07:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello friends,

That Integrated Reasoning is a new addition to GMAT is an old news now. It is time to address the need of the test takers to attempt
variety of IR questions that are true reflection of Official Guide questions. e-GMAT has launched 15+ hours of  interactive audio visual content
on IR. It encompasses 35 concepts, 120+ original questions, and 2 full length Mock Tests.

You must have come across multiple Line graph charts, but seldom you see multiple graph charts with varied weights.
Here is one for you fresh from the oven. Try it out. Over the next week, we will be posting a few more practice questions.

'Dereck and Sons sells pigments in 4 regions. The data presented in the graph shows sales in 2 regions & average sales for all 4 regions
over the period of 12 months in the year 2011.'

Based on the given information select the options that most accurately complete the following statements.

1. The worst performance in terms of combined sales for other regions that Dereck and Sons operated in was in the month[s] of _______.

A. March B. June & July C. July & August D. June, July & August E. November

2. Combined sales of other 2 regions for the month of June'11 is $ __________M.

A. 1975 B. 2350 C. 2550 D. 4700
Attachments

Graph.png
Graph.png [ 27.98 KiB | Viewed 2319 times ]

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 663 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: A Question on multiple graph charts with varied weights [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 08:57
My answers are E & C

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 52

Re: A Question on multiple graph charts with varied weights [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 11:45
egmat wrote:
Hello friends,

That Integrated Reasoning is a new addition to GMAT is an old news now. It is time to address the need of the test takers to attempt
variety of IR questions that are true reflection of Official Guide questions. e-GMAT has launched 15+ hours of  interactive audio visual content
on IR. It encompasses 35 concepts, 120+ original questions, and 2 full length Mock Tests.

You must have come across multiple Line graph charts, but seldom you see multiple graph charts with varied weights.
Here is one for you fresh from the oven. Try it out. Over the next week, we will be posting a few more practice questions.

'Dereck and Sons sells pigments in 4 regions. The data presented in the graph shows sales in 2 regions & average sales for all 4 regions
over the period of 12 months in the year 2011.'

Based on the given information select the options that most accurately complete the following statements.

1. The worst performance in terms of combined sales for other regions that Dereck and Sons operated in was in the month[s] of _______.

A. March B. June & July C. July & August D. June, July & August E. November

2. Combined sales of other 2 regions for the month of June'11 is $ __________M.

A. 1975 B. 2350 C. 2550 D. 4700

IMO....question one A for second question I dn't knw,,Can Any one help me in figuring out the second question because I'm unable to find the data for the Other 2 regions,,while in case of question one I used graph of average line to find answer
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.25
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: A Question on multiple graph charts with varied weights [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 12:34
1. E
4 times average minus sum of region 1 and region 2.

This will give the combined sales of other regions. This will be minimum if sum of region 1 and 2 is maximum which occurs for November

2. C
Same formula as for the 1st question . 4*1500 - ( 1550 + 1900) = 2550
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3421 [2] , given: 183

Re: A Question on multiple graph charts with varied weights [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 10:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hello friends,

Indeed the answers for Q1 is November, & for Q2 is $2550 M.

Let us understand the time management aspect of GMAT IR. You need to attempt 12 questions in 30 minutes. This means on an average 2.5 minute per dataset!

As far as second part of the question is concerned, it is quite obvious that one will have to calculate the numerical value of sales for other 2 regions with the application of formula- '4 times average minus sum of region 1 and region 2'. However, when it comes to first part of the question, there are 5 months to consider for probable answers- March, June, July, August, & November.

It is not advisable to calculate the values of other 2 regions' sales for all 5 months. We can simply observe the graph, & eliminate few months as probable answer.

Let's understand our objective. We have to minimize 4*Average sales - Region 1 sales - Region 2 sales. This leads to a conclusion that an ideal worst performing month would be the one whose Average sales are lowest & Region 1 & 2 sales are the highest among all option months.

Well, there is no ideal month present in the graph, whose Average sales are lowest & Region 1 & 2 sales are the highest as well.

Because Lowest Average sales month - March;
Highest Region 1 sales month - November;
Highest Region 2 sales month- November.

The shortlisted options would be March, & November only. We can discard other 3 months, as they do not qualify. Pl. see the analysis.

June & July months are disqualified because their region 2 sales are the lowest among all months. It will not help minimize regions 3 & 4 sales. Similarly, August month is also disqualified because its region 1 & 2 sales are at mediocre level. Again, it will not help minimize regions 3 & 4 sales. So we discard these months.

Now can we zero in on March or November without calculating numerical values of regions 3 & 4 sales?

Let's look at our findings again for March & November months.
While November month has 2 positive factors - Highest Region 1 & 2 sales, March month has only one positive factor - Lowest Average sales.
So can we discard March vis-a-vis November now?

Well not really! And the reason is that the weight of Average sales is 4 times that of region 1 or 2 sales in the formula.

So there are 2 approaches to conclude March or November as an answer.

Approach 1:- Observe the graph again & look for 4 times the gain on account of Average sales for the month of March Vs. the gain on account of Region 1 & 2 sales for the month of November.

March:- Gain of 1/2 scale over November. So 4 times gain would be '4*1/2 scale = 2 scale'.
November:- Gain of 3 scale over March for region 1, & gain of 1/2 scale over March for region 2. So collectively total gain of 3.5 scale over March.

So it is obvious that Total gain of November over March is more, hence November month is the answer.

Approach 2:- You better calculate the sales values for March & November. Here it is.

Region 3 & 4 sales for November = 4*1500 - 2000-1950 = $2050 M
Region 3 & 4 sales for November = 4*1450 - 1700-1900 = $2200 M. .

So clearly the answer is November month.

Should you wish to see interactive audio-visual solution to this question, pl. visit e-GMAT free trial.

Regards!

Shalabh Jain

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 80

Kudos [?]: 492 [0], given: 102

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A Question on multiple graph charts with varied weights [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 05:33
Expert's post
Hey Shalabh,
This is an excellent analysis.. :) Kudos man..!!

Would like to see more of these type of qs. from e-GMAT to keep us motivated in the process..Please fire the bullets.

One question related to your analysis : Can we apply the method of 1st slot shortlisting for all qs. of this type in GMAT ?

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3421 [1] , given: 183

Re: A Question on multiple graph charts with varied weights [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 01:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
debayan222 wrote:
Hey Shalabh,

Would like to see more of these type of qs. from e-GMAT to keep us motivated in the process..Please fire the bullets.

One question related to your analysis : Can we apply the method of 1st slot shortlisting for all qs. of this type in GMAT ?

Thank you Debayan for appreciating. We will keep posting more & more questions on IR. Recently, we posted an MSR question. Have a look at it.

Coming to your query. I will say YES, we must shortlist possible 1-3 contenders out of 4-6 option choices. In most of the questions, this strategy can be applied.

-Shalabh

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A Question on multiple graph charts with varied weights [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 10:01
Expert's post
egmat wrote:
debayan222 wrote:
Hey Shalabh,

Thank you Debayan for appreciating. We will keep posting more & more questions on IR. Recently, we posted an MSR question. Have a look at it.

Coming to your query. I will say YES, we must shortlist possible 1-3 contenders out of 4-6 option choices. In most of the questions, this strategy can be applied.

-Shalabh

Thanks Shalabh.. :)

Can you please share the link of your new IR post ? Appreciate your help as always..!

--------------------------------------
And btw, how do we get to know about or can keep track on e-GMAT's posts in both verbal and IR ? Is there any way to fire a trigger as soon as there is new post on the forum from you guys..any idea ?
@bb/Souvik : Would request your inputs also on this.

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3421 [0], given: 183

Re: A Question on multiple graph charts with varied weights [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 21:37
Expert's post
debayan222 wrote:
egmat wrote:
debayan222 wrote:
Hey Shalabh,

-Shalabh

Thanks Shalabh.. :)

Can you please share the link of your new IR post ? Appreciate your help as always..!

--------------------------------------
And btw, how do we get to know about or can keep track on e-GMAT's posts in both verbal and IR ? Is there any way to fire a trigger as soon as there is new post on the forum from you guys..any idea ?
@bb/Souvik : Would request your inputs also on this.

hi Debayayn,

Thank you for appreciating our work. I think you have not tried following questions.

what-you-choose-is-what-you-weigh-143895.html

multi-source-reasoning-question-advertising-channels-143952.html

I wish to ask you if you have gone through our free trial. Did you like it? What's your feedback?

Pl. wait for a tricky 2 part question today.

-Shalabh :)

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A Question on multiple graph charts with varied weights [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 10:47
Expert's post
Shalabh,
Thanks for sharing the link..I'll get back to you once I go through these. :)
But I'm afraid that MSR link is not accessible from my side.I don't understand what's the issue is... :( It's opening in a blank page after clicking on it.

And I've not gone through the trial yet but soon will check it out and share my feedback...BTW, I know it'll be great like your posts so please keep posting such wonderful topics in IR also to help us stay motivated :)

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V40
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 17

Re: A Question on multiple graph charts with varied weights [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 22:54
My bet: Nov and 2550.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 03-03-2014
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: A Question on multiple graph charts with varied weights [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 23:51
Defintely E and C.

Thanks
crazy4priya
GMATPrep 1 710/Q49/V38
GMATPrep 2 690/Q49/V34
Veritas Prep 700/Q50/V36/IR5
MGMT Test 1 700/Q51/V35/IR3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: A Question on multiple graph charts with varied weights [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 23:53
1. E
2. C
Re: A Question on multiple graph charts with varied weights   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2013, 23:53