Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 10:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

a question on the use of scratch pad on GMAT day

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 24

a question on the use of scratch pad on GMAT day [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2010, 06:28
I read about the effective and efficient use of scratch pad in Kaplan Premier 2009 book. Thanks Kaplan.

I would be grateful if anyone who has given GMAT, shares his or her experience on using the scratch pad on the GMAT day. Are there any surprises? Any issues with its use or one's speed? Is it any different from the normal pen and paper practice at home?

I called up the test center and asked if I could come to see the actual scratch paper and pen provided :) But they refused.
They said they give 5 laminated sheets.

Any additional information would be great. Any suggestions for material available in market that resembles best.

Thanks a ton!!

"Choose to chance the rapids and dance the tides"

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: a question on the use of scratch pad on GMAT day [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2010, 07:09
This post received
KUDOS
I was a lil apprehensive about the scratch pad before going into the exam. But it wasn't bad at all. The markers they give are the erasable markers which are just slightly more thicker than a normal pen. I think the pad has 5 pages(front and back) and i feel it should suffice more or less everyone for the entire exam.

So yea, its a little different than the normal pen and paper we are used to, but not something that you should worry about or will find difficult to use during the exam. :)
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2284

Kudos [?]: 8887 [1] , given: 3670

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: a question on the use of scratch pad on GMAT day [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2010, 07:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
See this link: GMAT Test Simulation Booklet

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: McGill, HEC, Concordia

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: a question on the use of scratch pad on GMAT day [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2010, 09:58
As the link bb posted, MGMAT has the laminated pad that is pretty much identical to the one used on test day. They also have the exact same marker. It's not bad, it's like writing on acetate. If you want to get used to it and don't want to buy the pad, you can head out and buy some acetates and it's pretty much the same thing.

They will give you two markers. During the instructions, test if they both work. Other than that, it's really not bad. Just make sure not to smudge your work with your hand as you're writing.

Cheers,
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: a question on the use of scratch pad on GMAT day [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 06:29
So 5 pages are sufficient?
or those pages can be erased as they are laminated and the marker is erasable?
Do you guys really think buying MGMAT's scratch pad would be worthy?

--Sach

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 66 [1] , given: 3

Re: a question on the use of scratch pad on GMAT day [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 08:12
This post received
KUDOS
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: a question on the use of scratch pad on GMAT day [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 10:23
sachindia wrote:
So 5 pages are sufficient?
or those pages can be erased as they are laminated and the marker is erasable?
Do you guys really think buying MGMAT's scratch pad would be worthy?

--Sach

I found the scratch pad to be far more space than I actually used. It was 5 pages, front and back, I probably used the first 3 front and back, and that includes a lot of Venn diagrams, which hog up space.

Make sure you test out the grease pen before you start the test. The first one was terrible, but my second one wrote a relatively fine line, similar to a uni-ball pen.

It's certainly nothing to stress over. IMO they give you much more space than you need, and they will bring you an additional one if you request.
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: a question on the use of scratch pad on GMAT day [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 17:39
Thats great.. thanks a lot :)

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Re: a question on the use of scratch pad on GMAT day   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2012, 17:39