Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A) Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

A) Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 00:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
(A) Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.

(B)Rather than accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.

(C) Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

(D) Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

(E) Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to sail west to see if he could reach India.

OA is D.

But I think in D, we should use "accepted" instead of "accept" because of "sailed"

Can you show me some lights? thanks.
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 0

Re: SC Columbus (n3.41) [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 19:04
judokan wrote:
(A) Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.

(B)Rather than accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.

(C) Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

(D) Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

(E) Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to sail west to see if he could reach India.

OA is D.

But I think in D, we should use "accepted" instead of "accept" because of "sailed"

rather than is used to show preference of one over another
instead of is simply comparing two objects

i would have apple instead of orange -> here im just making a statement saying give me apple in place of orange

i would go for a movie rather than watching TV at home
here i prefer going for a movie than watching TV

in the given statement too
columbus prefers to sail accross rather than accept the truth
hence rather than is apt.
Hope i cleared the query

cheers
Its Now Or Never

SVP
SVP
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 472 [0], given: 5

Re: SC Columbus (n3.41) [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 20:57
judokan wrote:

OA is D.

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

= Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India "rather than" [to] accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat .....

= CC sailed west to see rather than accept..
Its perfect...

"Sailed" is main verb....

e.g
She preferred to walk than [to] run.

I hope this helps you..

spriya,

Judokan is not asking the difference between "rather than" and "instead of"

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: SC Columbus (n3.41) [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 22:38
Hi Suresh,

Thanks for the explanation but it does not seem to make sense.

If “sailed” is the main word, we can rewrite the sentence as “sailed west to accept the conventional wisdom…” . this is not logically right.

Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India
rather than (sailed west) [to] accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat .....

agree?
VP
VP

Re: SC Columbus (n3.41) [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 08:52
x2suresh wrote:
judokan wrote:

OA is D.

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.

= Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India "rather than" [to] accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat .....

= CC sailed west to see rather than accept..
Its perfect...

"Sailed" is main verb....

e.g
She preferred to walk than [to] run.

I hope this helps you..

spriya,

Judokan is not asking the difference between "rather than" and "instead of"

apologies i misread the statement in hurry :roll:

cheers
Its Now Or Never

VP
VP

Re: SC Columbus (n3.41) [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 09:07
judokan wrote:
Hi Suresh,

If “sailed” is the main word, we can rewrite the sentence as “sailed west to accept the conventional wisdom…” . this is not logically right.

rather than (sailed west) [to] accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat .....

agree?

The subordinator rather than is followed by a bare infinitive clause when the matrix clause expresses the subject's preference. For example,

He paid the fine rather than appeal to a higher court.

Rather than is generally best treated as a quasi-coordinator when it is used with matching forms in the clauses. For example,

They were screaming rather than singing.

She telephoned rather than wrote.

Rather than is a preposition, not a quasi-coordinator, when it is followed by an -ing participle clause that does not match the verb in the matrix clause. For example,

Their actions precipitated the war rather than averting it.

All the three forms are correct
here we use the very first form of rather than ,That is infinitive :

Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India rather than [to] accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat .....

some more examples of the form are :

They obeyed the order rather than suffer torture or death.

Rather than suffer torture or death they obeyed the order.

Rather than Robert drive in his present state, I'd prefer to drive him home myself.

cheers
Its Now Or Never

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 122 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC Columbus (n3.41) [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 09:08
This post received
KUDOS
spriya wrote:
judokan wrote:
Hi Suresh,

agree?

The subordinator rather than is followed by a bare infinitive clause when the matrix clause expresses the subject's preference. For example,

Rather than is generally best treated as a quasi-coordinator when it is used with matching forms in the clauses. For example,

Rather than is a preposition, not a quasi-coordinator, when it is followed by an -ing participle clause that does not match the verb in the matrix clause. For example,

Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India rather than [to] accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat .....

Rather than Robert drive in his present state, I'd prefer to drive him home myself.

I hope i cleared the doubt :)

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: SC Columbus (n3.41) [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 09:43
spriya wrote:
judokan wrote:
Hi Suresh,

agree?

Thanks spriya. I keep learning new things here everyday
SVP
SVP
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 472 [0], given: 5

Re: SC Columbus (n3.41) [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 09:59
Thanks priya.. +1 for you.

the subordinator rather than is followed by a bare infinitive clause when the matrix clause expresses the subject's preference. For example,

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

VP
VP

Re: SC Columbus (n3.41) [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 10:30

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Re: SC Columbus (n3.41)   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2008, 10:30