Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A really bad first GMAT exam!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
A really bad first GMAT exam! [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 05:39
This post received
KUDOS
Hello guys,

After just reading post and advices on the forum, I decided to register and ask for help.
I took the GMAT 2 days ago and I got poor a score of 580 : Q39 and V31. I have to admit that I was very shocked.
Before the test I read the whole GMAT premier Kaplan book, took the 1001Quizz question they were selling, and made the 2 GMATPrep test :
1/ 640 : Q44, V34
2/ 680 : Q43, V40
I also bought, I have not finish yet, the GMATPrep 1 question Pack with 404 questions.
I have a lot of time to study those 2 weeks and in general since I don't need to sleep a lot ; and I really don't mind to put a lot of hours. (I usually do not feel that I underperforme after some hours of study if I take pauses every 2,5 hours).
I welcome any advice on how I should study to get a decent score and what material I should use like references of books, set of questions (I read the topics on what book web site are recommended but if you have recommendation based on my results it would be great).
I was aiming for something like 640-650 but now I'm angry and I want 700+.
I plan to take the exam in March.

Thanks a lot.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A really bad first GMAT exam! [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 09:50
Aphel wrote:
Hello guys,

After just reading post and advices on the forum, I decided to register and ask for help.
I took the GMAT 2 days ago and I got poor a score of 580 : Q39 and V31. I have to admit that I was very shocked.
Before the test I read the whole GMAT premier Kaplan book, took the 1001Quizz question they were selling, and made the 2 GMATPrep test :
1/ 640 : Q44, V34
2/ 680 : Q43, V40
I also bought, I have not finish yet, the GMATPrep 1 question Pack with 404 questions.
I have a lot of time to study those 2 weeks and in general since I don't need to sleep a lot ; and I really don't mind to put a lot of hours. (I usually do not feel that I underperforme after some hours of study if I take pauses every 2,5 hours).
I welcome any advice on how I should study to get a decent score and what material I should use like references of books, set of questions (I read the topics on what book web site are recommended but if you have recommendation based on my results it would be great).
I was aiming for something like 640-650 but now I'm angry and I want 700+.
I plan to take the exam in March.

Thanks a lot.

I am also going through somewhat same...:( let me know if you come across any ideas Thanks
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A really bad first GMAT exam! [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2013, 02:06
Well for now I just decided to take the exam again. With what were you studying? How did you do on the exam?
Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: A really bad first GMAT exam! [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2013, 08:26
Expert's post
You have a few months in which to improve your score, so that's great. Since you took the exam already, you know exactly what to expect. Now you can focus on your areas of academic weakness as well as improve your test taking skills. Have you determined yet what your areas of weakness are? Taking sim tests are a great way to do this. I improved 60 points from the first time I took the GMAT, and I still firmly believe that it's just because I figured out that I am terrible at geometry problems and needed to brush up on this one area! So improving over 100 points, while difficult, may be possible -- as long as you figure out just where to devote your time and energy.

http://econgm.at/GCfreetrial
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A really bad first GMAT exam! [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2013, 15:10
BethEconomistGMAT wrote:
You have a few months in which to improve your score, so that's great. Since you took the exam already, you know exactly what to expect. Now you can focus on your areas of academic weakness as well as improve your test taking skills. Have you determined yet what your areas of weakness are? Taking sim tests are a great way to do this. I improved 60 points from the first time I took the GMAT, and I still firmly believe that it's just because I figured out that I am terrible at geometry problems and needed to brush up on this one area! So improving over 100 points, while difficult, may be possible -- as long as you figure out just where to devote your time and energy.

I tried to focus my weak area but my problem is that I did a lot worst on the real exam that on the sim test! The day before the exam I scored 680 on the GMATPrep... Are those easier than the real thing (I though it was approximatively the same but...)?
How sad that they don't give us the correction of what we did on the real GMAT so we could see what went wrong!
Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: A really bad first GMAT exam! [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 07:19
Expert's post
I agree that the GMAT should give you a good breakdown of what questions you have gotten wrong and why. Let's hope that they can implement that in the future!

It is possible that one exam may be off just because of where you made your mistakes rather than how many. But in general, students should score within about +/- 30 points or so from what they get on simulation tests and the GMAT test preps.

http://econgm.at/GCfreetrial
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Re: A really bad first GMAT exam!   [#permalink] 02 Jan 2014, 07:19