Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 01:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent married couple decided to have four kids. What is

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1468
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A recent married couple decided to have four kids. What is [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 07:40
A recent married couple decided to have four kids. What is the probability that they will have exactly 2 boys and 2 girls?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Posts: 1157
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 08:04
the probability for G or B is 1/2

1/2*1/2*1/2*1/2 = 1/16

BBGG = 1/16
BGBG = 1/16
BGGB = 1/16
GBGB = 1/16
GBBG = 1/16
GGBB = 1/16

1/16+1/16+1/16+1/16+1/16+1/16 = 6/16 = 3/8

:-D
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1468
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 08:29
KillerSquirrel wrote:
the probability for G or B is 1/2

1/2*1/2*1/2*1/2 = 1/16

BBGG = 1/16
BGBG = 1/16
BGGB = 1/16
GBGB = 1/16
GBBG = 1/16
GGBB = 1/16

1/16+1/16+1/16+1/16+1/16+1/16 = 6/16 = 3/8

:-D


I'm trying to see what's wrong with my method...if you can help.
I got the same answer using the method above. However, when I use this method, I get different answer:
Say if you have the first 2 child, you have have either BB,BG,GB,GG. This means that the first 2 child doesn't affect the probability. So, wouldn't the last two child pick would be 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/4?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Posts: 1157
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 09:18
bkk145 wrote:
KillerSquirrel wrote:
the probability for G or B is 1/2

1/2*1/2*1/2*1/2 = 1/16

BBGG = 1/16
BGBG = 1/16
BGGB = 1/16
GBGB = 1/16
GBBG = 1/16
GGBB = 1/16

1/16+1/16+1/16+1/16+1/16+1/16 = 6/16 = 3/8

:-D


I'm trying to see what's wrong with my method...if you can help.
I got the same answer using the method above. However, when I use this method, I get different answer:
Say if you have the first 2 child, you have have either BB,BG,GB,GG. This means that the first 2 child doesn't affect the probability. So, wouldn't the last two child pick would be 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/4?


I don't think you can solve this problem two kids at a time.

:-D
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 899
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Basic Probability [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 15:42
bkk145 wrote:
A recent married couple decided to have four kids. What is the probability that they will have exactly 2 boys and 2 girls?


2 b and 2 g = 4!/2!2! = 6
total = 2^4 = 16
prob = 6/16 = 3/8
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Posts: 1157
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 20:51
There is a faster way to solve those kind of questions, but I think this is out of scope.

Applying the binomial distribution formula:

http://www.answers.com/topic/binomial-distribution

C(n,k)*p^k*(1-p)^(n-k)

p = the probability for a certain event = 1/2 (getting a boy)

1-P = the completing event = 1/2 (getting a girl)

n = total items in the group = 4

k = desired outcome = two boys = 2

solving

C(4,2)*(1/2)^(2)*(1/2)*(4-2) = 6*1/4*1/4 = 6/16 = 3/8

:-D
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 899
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 22:33
KillerSquirrel wrote:
There is a faster way to solve those kind of questions, but I think this is out of scope.

Applying the binomial distribution formula:

http://www.answers.com/topic/binomial-distribution

C(n,k)*p^k*(1-p)^(n-k)

p = the probability for a certain event = 1/2 (getting a boy)

1-P = the completing event = 1/2 (getting a girl)

n = total items in the group = 4

k = desired outcome = two boys = 2

solving

C(4,2)*(1/2)^(2)*(1/2)*(4-2) = 6*1/4*1/4 = 6/16 = 3/8

:-D


yup i was looking for the binomial formula.
  [#permalink] 25 Aug 2007, 22:33
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
When members of a married couple have discovered that they marcodonzelli 9 16 Mar 2008, 09:20
Given that there are 6 married couples. What is the prob of dfotlm 5 16 Jul 2007, 01:13
Experts publish their posts in the topic Married couple milu8 1 20 Dec 2005, 14:00
Four married couples have bought 8 seats in a row for a schumacher 2 06 Jan 2005, 08:59
How many ways can four married couples sit on a park bench gayathri 4 08 Dec 2004, 15:58
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A recent married couple decided to have four kids. What is

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.