Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 07:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent national study of the public schools shows that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2011, 15:51
abisurd wrote:
crackgmat750 wrote:
Yes OA is C. Obviously all other choices are incorrect. There are no close calls..but my concern is that in C, doesnt "four times as many as" immediately after comma seem to modify pupils rather than microrcomputer as desired by the meaning of sentence? What am I missing? What grammatical subtlelety is here.. can anybody elaborate with more examples? I know paul is on a vacation..

This is something that I got from the Princeton Review Verbal Workout (downloaded from http://64168.com/bbs)

The misplaced modifier rule applies to phrases, but not to clauses.

Fo the benefit of others (and to save my own time), I'm copy-pasting the OCRs version of the relevant text from the Workbook here

Most misplaced modifiers come down to making sure that the opening phrase, followed by a comma, modifies the subject of the sentence. There is a possible solution to other problems, however, that don't occur very often on the GMAT. As the Grammar Glossary will tell you, there is a fundamental difference between a phrase and a clause: A clause contains a subject and a verb, and a phrase lacks either a subject or a verb.

Clause: Although he looked for his glasses for hours,
Phrase: Having looked for his glasses for houfs,

See the difference? If you take away Although from the clause, you have a complete sentence: He lookedfor his glassesfor hours. The phrase, however, has no chance to stand by itself as a complete sentence. The misplaced modifier rule applies to phrases, but not to clauses. Therefore:

You can change a misplaced modifier into a legal sentence by changing a phrase into a clause.

Here's an example:

Wrong: While leaving the bank, Evelyn's purse was stolen.
Right: As she was leaving the bank, Evelyn's purse was stolen.

The opening phrase is now a clause (with the subject she and the verb was), so it's okay.

HTH

Thank you for that explanation. Hopefully that will help me in future questions...this one wasn't too hard.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 75

Re: A recent national study of the public schools shows that [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 05:20
"as many as" is the right choice , leaves us with C & E.
C wins because it keeps the natural flavor of the sentence :) E doesn't !

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: Mays '16
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V21
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 35

Re: A recent national study of the public schools shows that [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 09:58
As many as....C is the answer..:-)

Posted from my mobile device Image

Don't give up on yourself ever. Period.
Beat it, no one wants to be defeated (My journey from 570 to 690) : beat-it-no-one-wants-to-be-defeated-journey-570-to-149968.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: A recent national study of the public schools shows that [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2013, 11:48
we have two decision points in this case:
1. there is one... (X A)
2. as many as (comparison) (X A, X B)

Logical meaning error in D and E (Pupils do not own the computer).

Correct answer --> C
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A recent national study of the public schools shows that [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2013, 10:03
its C
its straightforward.
the correct idiom is as many as....only option C has it.
Re: A recent national study of the public schools shows that   [#permalink] 07 Dec 2013, 10:03