Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent national study of the public schools shows that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

A recent national study of the public schools shows that [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2004, 12:20
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

75% (01:43) correct 25% (01:00) wrong based on 356 sessions
A recent national study of the public schools shows that there are now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were four years ago.

(A) there are now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were
(B) there is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were
(C) there is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many as there were
(D) every thirty-two pupils now have one microcomputer, four times as many than there were
(E) every thirty-two pupils now has one microcomputer, four times as many as

This question is from OG. The correct answer has ruffled a bit of my grammar sense. :roll:
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2004, 12:29
C is the best I can think....will provide explanation after required research
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2004, 12:52
This post received
KUDOS
crackgmat750 wrote:
A recent national study of the public schools shows that there are now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were four years ago.

A.there are now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were
B.there is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were
C.there is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many as there were
D.every thirty-two pupils now have one microcomputer, four times as many than there were
E.every thirty-two pupils now has one microcomputer, four times as many as

This question is from OG. The correct answer has ruffled a bit of my grammar sense. :roll:

starting point: as many as the correct usage.

A.there are now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were

as many than...Wrong :no

B.there is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were

as many than ...Wrong :no

C.there is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many as there were

as many as ...Correct :banana

D.every thirty-two pupils now have one microcomputer, four times as many than there were

as many than ...Wrong :no

When you placed this one into the sentence, here what it looks like:
A recent national study of the public schools shows that .every thirty-two pupils now has one microcomputer, four times as many as four years ago.

four times as many as four years ago...:no wrong..

So C is the answer..
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2004, 13:03
agree with afife' reasoning, but the only doubt that I had was "one microcomputer"...and "there were", I think C is the better in the one-eyed land, but is the best?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2004, 13:04
crackgmat750 wrote:

"one microcomputer" is singular, so "there is" is justified.
A is out. ( it uses "there are" )

"as many as" is the correct idiom and not "as many than"
B is out.

D and E change the meaning. It seems as if 32 pupils are sharing a computer each. The grammar is wrong too.

C is the best answer.

ash

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2004, 18:34
Yes OA is C. Obviously all other choices are incorrect. There are no close calls..but my concern is that in C, doesnt "four times as many as" immediately after comma seem to modify pupils rather than microrcomputer as desired by the meaning of sentence? What am I missing? What grammatical subtlelety is here.. can anybody elaborate with more examples? I know paul is on a vacation..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2004, 21:18
crackgmat750 wrote:
Yes OA is C. Obviously all other choices are incorrect. There are no close calls..but my concern is that in C, doesnt "four times as many as" immediately after comma seem to modify pupils rather than microrcomputer as desired by the meaning of sentence? What am I missing? What grammatical subtlelety is here.. can anybody elaborate with more examples? I know paul is on a vacation..

I see your point..you are quite right, it is indeed confusing....But don't you think that "four times ....." is a phrase that modifies whole sentence rather than the noun that the phrase follows ..

I am sure SC experts will articulate on this much better..I wanted to throw my 2 cents .. :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2004, 22:47
crackgmat750 wrote:

Please read the post by Dwivedys in the link below. I think that should make things clear.

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... =summative

Once you've read that , here is the same example used in that post.

The indian team tried hard to overcome negative publicity from the betting scandal, an effort that drew immense kudos from the sporting world.

As you see, an effort is not "the scandal" but the "tried hard".

HTH :)

ash

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [2] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2004, 22:57
This post received
KUDOS
crackgmat750 wrote:

This is something that I got from the Princeton Review Verbal Workout (downloaded from http://64168.com/bbs)

The misplaced modifier rule applies to phrases, but not to clauses.

Fo the benefit of others (and to save my own time), I'm copy-pasting the OCRs version of the relevant text from the Workbook here

Most misplaced modifiers come down to making sure that the opening phrase, followed by a comma, modifies the subject of the sentence. There is a possible solution to other problems, however, that don't occur very often on the GMAT. As the Grammar Glossary will tell you, there is a fundamental difference between a phrase and a clause: A clause contains a subject and a verb, and a phrase lacks either a subject or a verb.

Clause: Although he looked for his glasses for hours,
Phrase: Having looked for his glasses for houfs,

See the difference? If you take away Although from the clause, you have a complete sentence: He lookedfor his glassesfor hours. The phrase, however, has no chance to stand by itself as a complete sentence. The misplaced modifier rule applies to phrases, but not to clauses. Therefore:

You can change a misplaced modifier into a legal sentence by changing a phrase into a clause.

Here's an example:

Wrong: While leaving the bank, Evelyn's purse was stolen.
Right: As she was leaving the bank, Evelyn's purse was stolen.

The opening phrase is now a clause (with the subject she and the verb was), so it's okay.

HTH

--

./abisurd
Not absurd :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2007, 23:55
thanks abisurd!! for that constructive post
can you fix your link because it is not working!!
:(
SVP
SVP
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 472 [0], given: 5

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2009, 09:28
clearly between C and E.

E is out.. wrong comparision.
comparing "computer" with "four years ago"

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 4

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2009, 19:39
Yeah, clear C

Cheers,
Unplugged
Director
Director
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 17

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2009, 23:07
use PoE
A wrong
there is..there are..isssue...in A
as many as ...correct..so eliminate ..as many than.in B, D
now between C and E...
IMO C..right comparisons
four times as many as there were (microcomputer)four years ago..

crackgmat750 wrote:

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 13:14
but my concern is that in C, doesnt "four times as many as" immediately after comma seem to modify pupils rather than microrcomputer as desired by the meaning of sentence?

I got this answer correct, but agree with the quote above. Can someone please explain to me why this is not the case? I tried to follow the link above, but it leads no where.

I cannot understand why "four times as many as" violates no rules, but the below does.

Sales of wines declines in the late 1980s, but after the 1991 report that linked a reduced risk of heart disease with a moderate alcohol consumption, particularly red wine, they began growing again

Anyone who can explain one, or both, will definitely receive kudos 8-)
Intern
Intern

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 19:56
mrcrescentfresh wrote:
but my concern is that in C, doesnt "four times as many as" immediately after comma seem to modify pupils rather than microrcomputer as desired by the meaning of sentence?

I got this answer correct, but agree with the quote above. Can someone please explain to me why this is not the case? I tried to follow the link above, but it leads no where.

I cannot understand why "four times as many as" violates no rules, but the below does.

Sales of wines declines in the late 1980s, but after the 1991 report that linked a reduced risk of heart disease with a moderate alcohol consumption, particularly red wine, they began growing again

Anyone who can explain one, or both, will definitely receive kudos 8-)

For the 2nd sentence: if we omit the "that" part (as it just elaborates what the report is talking about), the clause after "but" will become "after the 1991 report, they began growing again." The subjects of the first half and the second half of the sentence are not the same, but they are sharing the same verb, "grow". Hence, if the sentence can be changed to "after the 1991 report that bla bla bla had been released, they began growing again". But in this case, the verb "release" is very far from its subject "report". So it is better to restructure the whole sentence again to avoid confusion if it is not a sentence correction question. :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 6

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 07:25
C.

are is wrong - cannot use plural for every + as many than is wrong too
as many than is wrong
correct usage of every with is and correct idiom as many as
every with have + as many than
awkward - every thirty - two pupils? this should have been every on of the thirty two pupils now has
Intern
Intern

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 10:38
A) there are now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were --- wrong usuage of 'are'. "as many than" wrong.
(B) there is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were ---"as many than" wrong.
(C) there is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many as there were --correct
(D) every thirty-two pupils now have one microcomputer, four times as many than there were ---"as many than" wrong.
(E) every thirty-two pupils now has one microcomputer, four times as many as --- changes the meaning on the sentences
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 149

Re: [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2010, 03:09
abisurd wrote:
crackgmat750 wrote:

This is something that I got from the Princeton Review Verbal Workout (downloaded from http://64168.com/bbs)

The misplaced modifier rule applies to phrases, but not to clauses.

Fo the benefit of others (and to save my own time), I'm copy-pasting the OCRs version of the relevant text from the Workbook here

Most misplaced modifiers come down to making sure that the opening phrase, followed by a comma, modifies the subject of the sentence. There is a possible solution to other problems, however, that don't occur very often on the GMAT. As the Grammar Glossary will tell you, there is a fundamental difference between a phrase and a clause: A clause contains a subject and a verb, and a phrase lacks either a subject or a verb.

Clause: Although he looked for his glasses for hours,
Phrase: Having looked for his glasses for houfs,

See the difference? If you take away Although from the clause, you have a complete sentence: He lookedfor his glassesfor hours. The phrase, however, has no chance to stand by itself as a complete sentence. The misplaced modifier rule applies to phrases, but not to clauses. Therefore:

You can change a misplaced modifier into a legal sentence by changing a phrase into a clause.

Here's an example:

Wrong: While leaving the bank, Evelyn's purse was stolen.
Right: As she was leaving the bank, Evelyn's purse was stolen.

The opening phrase is now a clause (with the subject she and the verb was), so it's okay.

HTH

How can Right: As she was leaving the bank, Evelyn's purse was stolen. be right.The pronoun "she" does not refer to any noun.That the purse can be referred to as "she" would be absurd.

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 07:57
(C)

(A) there are now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were
(B) there is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were
(C) there is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many as there were
(D) every thirty-two pupils now have one microcomputer, four times as many than there were
(E) every thirty-two pupils now has one microcomputer, four times as many as

Raptor

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 27

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 05:09
C of course. "As many" has to be followed by "as"

petrifiedbutstanding

Re: SC   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2011, 05:09