Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 12:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent national study of the trash discarded in several

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A recent national study of the trash discarded in several [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2005, 18:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
A recent national study of the trash discarded in several representative areas confirmed that plastics constitute a smaller proportion of all trash than paper products do, whether the trash is measured by weight or volume. The damage that a given weight or volume of trash does to the environment is roughly the same whether the trash consists of plastics or paper products. Contrary to popular opinion, therefore, the current use of plastics actually does less harm to the environment nationwide than that of paper products.

The main conclusion of the argument is

A) plastics constitute a smaller proportion of the nation's total trash than do paper products
B) the ratio of weight to volume is the same for plastic trash as it is for paper trash
C) popular opinion regards the use of paper products as less harmful to the environment than the use of products made from plastic
D) contrary to popular opinion, a shift away from the use of paper products to the use of plastics would benefit the environment nationwide.
E) at this time more harm is being done to the environment nationwide by the use of paper than by the use of plastics

Which one of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

A) A given weight of paper of product may increase in volume after manufacture and before being discarded as trash
B) According to popular opinion, volume is a more important consideration than weight in predicting the impact of a given quantity of trash on the environment
C) The sum of damage caused to the environment by paper trash and by plastic trash is greater than that caused by any other sort of trash that was studied.
D) THe production of any paper product is more harmful to the environment than is the production of an equal weight or volume of any plastic
E) The proportion of plastic trash to paper trash varies from one part of the country to another.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2005, 19:50
E and D

Cheers, Rahul.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: paper Vs plastic [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2005, 23:41
E and D it is!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 04:49
E & D
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 04:53
Why not C and A?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 06:21
gmataquaguy wrote:
Why not C and A?

for ques 1 ,its not C because C is a statement and not a conclusion.

for ques 2 i got A after cancelling all the other options. but i dont agree with A either.

i wont choose D for the second ques because we see a scope shift there, disposal of trash and production of a product are two different things. anybody supports me here?

what are the OAs?

------------------------------

only if i could choose....

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 06:40
I would pick E and D.

Almost picked A before I saw E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: paper Vs plastic [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 07:33
Go with E and D

gmataquaguy wrote:
A recent national study of the trash discarded in several representative areas confirmed that plastics constitute a smaller proportion of all trash than paper products do, whether the trash is measured by weight or volume. The damage that a given weight or volume of trash does to the environment is roughly the same whether the trash consists of plastics or paper products. Contrary to popular opinion, therefore, the current use of plastics actually does less harm to the environment nationwide than that of paper products.

The main conclusion of the argument is

A) plastics constitute a smaller proportion of the nation's total trash than do paper products
B) the ratio of weight to volume is the same for plastic trash as it is for paper trash
C) popular opinion regards the use of paper products as less harmful to the environment than the use of products made from plastic
D) contrary to popular opinion, a shift away from the use of paper products to the use of plastics would benefit the environment nationwide.
E) at this time more harm is being done to the environment nationwide by the use of paper than by the use of plastics

Which one of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

A) A given weight of paper of product may increase in volume after manufacture and before being discarded as trash
B) According to popular opinion, volume is a more important consideration than weight in predicting the impact of a given quantity of trash on the environment
C) The sum of damage caused to the environment by paper trash and by plastic trash is greater than that caused by any other sort of trash that was studied.
D) THe production of any paper product is more harmful to the environment than is the production of an equal weight or volume of any plastic
E) The proportion of plastic trash to paper trash varies from one part of the country to another.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 07:48
E and D for me too..

A is not the answer for question 2, because , the survey measures the volume of paper in trash after it has increased in volume so the effect is considered in the calculation so it does not affect the argument.....

Fear Mediocrity, Respect Ignorance

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 11:08
Hello Gmataquaguy,

My answers are A and D.

This CR was a little tough to answer. I think the answer to the first question should be A, instead of E. But, I am not too doggone sure about it, and the answer could very well be E.

The CR asks you to pick the conclusion.
B is not stated, so eliminate B
C is just a fact stated in the argument, but it cannot be the conclusion of the argument.
D is unstated and cannot be the conclusion
E can be the answer, but I am hesitant due to the following statement in the argument - "damage that a given weight or volume of trash does to the environment is roughly the same whether the trash consists of plastics or paper products."
In the case of A, I think it is stated as a conclusion in the beginning of the argument.

In the strengthen question, D has definitely got be it. A is wrong because, the argument is only concerned about the volume and weight of the TRASH. We are only concerned if the paper grows in volume "after it has been trashed".

Hope that clears your doubt.

EDIT: I chose 1A, mainly because I wanted to take my chances. On the actual GMAT, I might have chosen E.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 11:23
E and D for me too.

hey ya......

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 12:06
crazyfin wrote:
for ques 1 ,its not C because C is a statement and not a conclusion.

Elaborate please........I mean i see C is a statement but dont understand why it cant be the conclusion.

I was torn between C and E but eliminated E for the following reason:

"at this time" portion of AC E ---> How can we say this. All we know is "A recent study...."

crazyfin wrote:

for ques 2 i got A after cancelling all the other options. but i dont agree with A either.
i wont choose D for the second ques because we see a scope shift there, disposal of trash and production of a product are two different things. anybody supports me here?
what are the OAs?

I do. I felt the same way. How can we talk about "production" when all we know about is disposal.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 12:39
Can someone please explain why D cannot be the right answer
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 14:05
800_gal wrote:
Can someone please explain why D cannot be the right answer

For which question? The first or the second? For the first question, AC D is wrong because it talks about the "benefits" and all we know is about "harm"....Therefore AC D is wrong.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2005, 13:57
Bump.....Can someone answer my question?
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2005, 16:18
gmataquaguy wrote:
eliminated E for the following reason:

"at this time" portion of AC E ---> How can we say this. All we know is "A recent study...."

But if you see the last sentence, the argument concludes "the current use". So, at this time is correct.

gmataquaguy wrote:

How can we talk about "production" when all we know about is disposal.

The argument is about the harm being done to the environment as a whole rather than the individual effects of either production or disposal of paper/plastics.

Hope that helps!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2005, 05:57
bump, gmataquaguy, can you confirm the answers? thanks!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

[#permalink] 16 Sep 2005, 05:57