Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 17:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [5] , given: 0

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2005, 04:40
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

(A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

(B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time

(C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

(D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting

(E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time

Please, provide explanations.
OA a few posts below.
Source – GMATPrep by Pearson VUE

Last edited by doe007 on 30 Apr 2013, 08:44, edited 2 times in total.
OA Added
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 99

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United State [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2013, 22:09
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

A) they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time

C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting

E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time

In a while,but,although clauses should contain subject and a verb.But in option A "while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment. the bolded part is a modifier and here the while sentence is not a complete sentence.Then how come the answer is A.Please explain.
Can you some one explain

Edit: carcass

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Last edited by carcass on 30 Apr 2013, 02:34, edited 2 times in total.
Edited and underlined
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 1276 [0], given: 119

Premium Member
Re: they denounce the big government, saying government is doinG [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2013, 23:57
Are you sure this question comes from official GMAT Prep?
I picked A, but I think "while at the same time" is redundant. Cause while = at the same time.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: they denounce the big government, saying government is doinG [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 00:32
hi pqhai,
but u didnt reply to my question. :cry:
In a while,but,although clauses should contain subject and a verb.But in option A "while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment. the bolded part is a modifier and here the while sentence is not a complete sentence.Then how come the answer is A.Please explain.
Can you some one explain :-D

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Neeley Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 69

Reviews Badge
Re: they denounce the big government, saying government is doinG [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 01:37
Mate - Pls. underline and you copied the first choice incorrectly, it should be "they denounce big government" instead of the big government.

(A) they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

(B) they denounce big government-they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful- but supporting at the same time

(C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

(D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting

(E) while they are denouncing big government-they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful- supporting at the same time
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 138

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 4

Re: they denounce the big government, saying government is doinG [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 01:40
skamal7 wrote:
hi pqhai,

Hi - not all clauses need subj +vb

for example this is a correct sentence:

Steve is a guy who loves pizza

The bold section is a clause but has no subject.

Here is a thorough explanation if you fancy it

http://www.chompchomp.com/terms/clause.htm

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: they denounce the big government, saying government is doinG [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 01:45
So you mean to say in option A after while " at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment" which is a modifer right?
if tats the case is then the while clause contains only modifiers which is a wrong way to create a sentence? right?
Please correct my understanding

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 28

Re: they denounce the big government, saying government is doinG [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 01:56
plumber250 wrote:
skamal7 wrote:
hi pqhai,

Shouldn't 'while they denounce big governmen' be parallel to ..."but supporting at the same time "
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 70

Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 08:45
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please check and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything in the forum.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1276 [0], given: 119

Premium Member
Re: they denounce the big government, saying government is doinG [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 15:09
aditya111 wrote:
plumber250 wrote:
skamal7 wrote:
hi pqhai,

Shouldn't 'while they denounce big governmen' be parallel to ..."but supporting at the same time "

@ aditya111
I agree with plumber250's mention, the bold part is a clause. Because we have same subject, we don't have to repeat the subject in the second part.

I just want to elaborate a little bit.

While vs When.

* After while, we always use progressive tense.
Examples:
- Different subject: He called me while I was eating.
- Same subject: I picked up the phone while (I was) driving. ==> we don't need to repeat subject "I".

* After When, we don't use progressive tense
Examples:
- When he knocked the door, I was eating.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 18

Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 04:56
A is not right i will go with C, there has to be parellism b/w denounce and support
Intern
Intern
Schools: Sloan '13
GMAT Date: 08-10-2013
GPA: 3.53

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 06:38
Why is B wrong? Are dashes not commonly used on the GMAT, and are you not supposed to put a relative pronoun along with dashes?
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1276 [1] , given: 119

Premium Member
Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 11:04
This post received
KUDOS
penguinman wrote:
Why is B wrong? Are dashes not commonly used on the GMAT, and are you not supposed to put a relative pronoun along with dashes?

Hi penguinman

This difference between A & B is "WHILE vs BUT"

* BUT:
Technically, "but" connects two independent clauses. Two clauses must be parallel.
However, in B: "they denounce.......but supporting" ==> not parallel. The correct structure is "they denounce X but support Y

*WHILE:
If the sentence has same subject, we can omit the second subject after while.
"While + Ving" is correct.
Example: He talked to me while watching a football game on TV.

Hence, A is correct by using the structure "they denounce.......while at the same time supporting.........

Hope it helps.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 12

Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 12:21

(A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

(B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time

(E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time

My POE :
A looks Ok, i keep it and move on.
The incorrect structure in E gets my attention : While they are .... - they say.... is incorrect. dashes are used to insert more info about something or to insert more clarity into the sentence. here that's not the case. Further the sentence has two subjects "they" ,which is awkard at best and the first one is an incomplete thought . E is gone and so is B.

Now on reading C i notice a modifier error. , say can't modify the preceding clause. ,Verb-ing are used for that purpose. Out.

Now another thing to notice is semi-colons are used to connect two independent thoughts and not two In to a sub-ordinate clause. For this reason D can be eliminated as while introduces a sub-ordinate clause. same can be said for D.

A wins.
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 271 [0], given: 543

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United State [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 01:43

(A) they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting
(B) they denounce big government--they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful--but supporting at the same time
(C) they denounce big government, they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time
(E) while they are denouncing big government--they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-- supporting at the same time

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Please provide detailed explanations, I picked the right answer but wasn't too convinced with my reasoning

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Last edited by Zarrolou on 01 Jul 2013, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2013, 11:30
i would say is A the least problematic, though i chose C....
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1263

Kudos [?]: 3511 [2] , given: 185

Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 07:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi fozzy,

This is in response to your PM. Although many people have arrived at the correct answer, let me describe it in a little more detail as to how to eliminate the incorrect answer choices and why the correct one is indeed correct.

MEANING ANALYSIS:

According a recent poll, many people in the US have combination of conservative and liberal political views. They denounce big government for two reasons:
a. government is doing too much
b. government has become too powerful
But at the same time, they support many government health care, education, and environment programs.

ERROR ANALYSIS:

If we carefully study the structure of the underlined portion of this sentence, we will see it uses the structure – They denounce A while… supporting B. The same structure can be seen in OG 12 & 13#134 - Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job, and fatigue among shift workers while raising production efficiency in various industries.
The above correct sentence employs the same structure – “Shift-work equations have reduced… while raising…”
The semicolon is correctly followed by an IC.
Comma + verb-ing modifier “saying” correctly modifies the preceding clause. The parallelism is maintained between the two reasons stated for denouncing the government.
Also, the simultaneous action has been correctly written by using “while”. The phrase
at the same time” just lays more emphasis on this simultaneity of actions. This sentence has no errors.

PoE:

(A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting: Correct as is for the reason stated above.

(B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time: Incorrect. Use of “but” brings in contrast here. The intention is to talk about the simultaneity of actions. This is the reason why, in choice “while” has been followed by “at the same time”.

(C) they denounce big government, they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time: Incorrect. The two ICS are connected by comma. This is a run-on sentence.

(D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting: Incorrect. There is no IC after semicolon.

(E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time: Incorrect. Same error an in Choice D.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 271 [0], given: 543

Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 01:46
Thanks for the wonderful explanation just one question:

Doesn't "while" and "at the same time" mean the same thing? so why are they used side by side? won't that make it redundant?

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1148 [2] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 02:04
This post received
KUDOS
fozzzy wrote:
Thanks for the wonderful explanation just one question:

Doesn't "while" and "at the same time" mean the same thing? so why are they used side by side? won't that make it redundant?

Not necessarily.

While can mean:

1) at the same time, and this case "at the same time" is redundant.
"While I was driving my car, at the same time something happened."

2) contrast, and in this case "at the same time" is not redundant.
See the above sentence.
A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while (in this case shows contrast) at the same time supporting

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 291

Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2013, 05:13
I didn't understand the "saying government" part. That is why I decided to go with D. :wall
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 268

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2014, 13:59
I think you are missing a 'the' before big government in B,C,D, and E. I don't think that the answer choices are meant to exclude that 'THE' otherwise it would be too easy

Cheers
J :)
Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United   [#permalink] 10 Jan 2014, 13:59