Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jan 2015, 17:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [6] , given: 0

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2005, 04:40
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

(A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

(B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time

(C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

(D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting

(E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time

Please, provide explanations.
OA a few posts below.
Source – GMATPrep by Pearson VUE

Last edited by doe007 on 30 Apr 2013, 08:44, edited 2 times in total.
OA Added
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GRE 1: 1250 Q780 V540
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2014, 22:45
dwivedys wrote:
Denounce and supporting are not parallel here. I think one of the choices is missing..only 4 choices have been mentioned. A doesn't look right.

Let me provide some example..

I listen to music while running on treadmill..
Vs.
I listen to music while I run on treadmill..

Which one do you think is good? I think the first one... its not about parallelism here..

If you like my post, please press Kudos+1

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GMAT Date: 01-06-2015
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 80

Kudos [?]: 538 [0], given: 217

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 13:49
In option A we have back to back two modifiers do you think such structure is fine.

(A) they denounce big government,
Modifier 1 : saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful,
Modifier 2 : while at the same time supporting

Clause, ing modifier 1 , ing modifier 2 << is it ok ??

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 259 [0], given: 352

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2014, 14:55
Parallelism- They denounce saying…supporting. A better than C, why? Because supporting is needed to explain the previous clause. We don't want 'denounce' and 'say' to be parallel. We want saying to modify denounce and be parallel with supporting. That's the reason why A iis a much better answer choice

Hope this clarifies
Cheers!
J :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.24
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 131

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2014, 22:59
I think it is more about meaning rather than parallelism and modifier...The while usage is incorrect and alters the meaning incorrectly...So A is the best choice...
And now we should look for parallelism and stuff to support the answer..
Had there been an 'And' Instead of 'While'..I guess both options would be correct..(Given that the other errors in C are removed)

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all
Don't let an extra chromosome get you down..:P

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 37

CAT Tests
Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2014, 11:54
Paralelism:
They denounce big government, sayING...While at the same time suportING

It seams wrong, what have I missed?
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 538 [1] , given: 217

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2014, 14:00
This post received
KUDOS
plaverbach wrote:
Paralelism:

Hi,

Take simple sentence.

I washed my clothes, while talking on the phone.

lets make it complex.

I washed my clothes, using new washing machine, while talking on the phone.

Now compare above sentence with :
they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting ...

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 58

Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2014, 03:47
PiyushK wrote:
plaverbach wrote:
Paralelism:

Hi,

Take simple sentence.

lets make it complex.

they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting ...

I don't understand which option you think is best. For me it's C:
"they denounce big government...., while they support at the same time"....
And I think that's correct.
Is there a problem here?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 538 [0], given: 217

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2014, 04:54
ronr34 wrote:
PiyushK wrote:
plaverbach wrote:
Paralelism:

Hi,

Take simple sentence.

lets make it complex.

Is there a problem here?

(C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

Describe the relation between highlighted parts. Can we write sentence as written above ?
Whats the role of "say" is it verb or modifier?
if verb, is it in a list ? if yes in list, then which is the last element of that list? if "say that ...." is last element of the list then where is the conjunction ?

Piyush K
-----------------------

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 2

Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2014, 05:07
ronr34 wrote:
Is there a problem here?

With C, the sentence would be:

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

Since you mention that C's structure is:

they denounce big government...., while they support at the same time....

Let's look at the first part of this structure: they denounce big government....

Let's expand this part in C:

they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful

This is clearly a list and since you mention they denounce big government...., I believe you are interpreting this portion as a list comprising three elements. So, let us deconstruct this portion of the sentence:

they X, Y and Z, where:

X: denounce big government,
Y: say that government is doing too much
Z: it has become too powerful

There are two ways in which it can be seen that this structure is incorrect:

One way: According to parallelism, phrases and clauses are not considered parallel to each other. So, all the elements comprising a list (X, Y and Z in the above case) should be either clauses or phrases. However, here while X and Y are phrases, Z is a clause. Hence, they are not parallel.

Second way: After doing the deconstruct, the portion of the sentence that is outside the XYZ deconstruct (in this case they) is clearly common to X, to Y and to Z. So, this common portion should individually make sense with X, with Y and with Z. Let us see if the common portion (they) make sense with X, with Y and with Z:

i) They denounce big government - Makes sense
ii) They say that government is doing too much - Makes sense
iii) They it has become too powerful - Clearly doesn't make sense

Hence, this structure is not correct. In fact, even if you try to do the XYZ deconstruct in any other way, it will not make sense.

Hence, C is incorrect.

This simple XYZ deconstruct method is in fact a very powerful method of dissecting and solving many parallelism related questions.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses XYZ deconstruct method, its application and examples in significant detail. If you can PM you email-id, I can send you the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 25

CAT Tests
Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2014, 19:43
Yea A has the problem.

They denounce...., while (they) support
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, General Management

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 42

Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2014, 08:19
Parallelism is missing in A . 'Denounce' can't be parallel with 'supporting'. experts plz comment
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2014, 20:27
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

(A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

(B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time

(D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting

(E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time

Not sure why the answer is A as there is lack of parallelism in it. "While" is used to contrast the view and hence parallelism is must. Though no other option look correct, I would go for C. C is parallel and the only issue with C is the user of "say that" which would have been better if it was "saying", yet V4 and V1 + that are interchangable in many cases, so I would go for C.

Please let me know your opinion on the explanation.

I may be wrong, but its fine...............I am still learning :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2014, 06:49
Matrix02 wrote:
Yes one more for A based on Parallelism of the verbs in the sentence

How's denounce and supporting paralled ? Kindly clarify
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 2

Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2014, 08:28
paandey wrote:

You are right. They are not parallel, and actually don't need to be. Perhaps it's best to be comfortable with this usage of while. For example: I had a bad dream while sleeping.

Couple of officially correct examples that illustrate this:

Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job, and fatigue among shift workers while raising production efficiency in various industries.

Joachim Raffand Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind of composer who receives popular acclaim while living......

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2014, 20:58
EducationAisle wrote:
paandey wrote:

You are right. They are not parallel, and actually don't need to be. Perhaps it's best to be comfortable with this usage of while. For example: I had a bad dream while sleeping.

Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job, and fatigue among shift workers while raising production efficiency in various industries.

Joachim Raffand Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind of composer who receives popular acclaim while living......

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks for clarifying the use of While. While is one of those terms that always create confusion.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2014, 12:05
EducationAisle wrote:
paandey wrote:

Thanks a lot man ! That certainly clears few doubts.
Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United   [#permalink] 23 Dec 2014, 12:05

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   [ 156 posts ]