Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 06:53

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [4] , given: 0

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2005, 04:40
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

(A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

(B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time

(C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

(D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting

(E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time

Please, provide explanations.
OA a few posts below.
Source – GMATPrep by Pearson VUE

Last edited by doe007 on 30 Apr 2013, 08:44, edited 2 times in total.
OA Added
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 269 [1] , given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 00:25
This post received
KUDOS
75. A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health car, education, and environment.

A. they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting
B. they denounce big government—they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful—but supporting at the same time
C. they denounce big government, they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time
D. while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting
E. while they are denouncing big government—they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful—supporting at the same time

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. Prep. combination [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 00:39
B lacks ||lism
C is wordy
E suffers from placement error

my pick would be D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Prep. combination [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 00:53
Answer C for II sm "They denounce" is parallel to "they support".
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Prep. combination [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 00:59
C for ll... to be honest, they all sound awkward
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Prep. combination [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 01:33
A for me. saying...... supporting.. seems good, while at the same time supporting..also looks good.

all other options don't look good to me.

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Prep. combination [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 05:10
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health car, education, and environment.

A. they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting
Use of 'while' and 'at the same time' together will make it redundant
B. they denounce big government—they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful—but supporting at the same time
supporting at the same time? instead it should be while supporting or at the same time supporting
C. they denounce big government, they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time
again redundant
D. while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting
E. while they are denouncing big government—they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful—supporting at the same time
[color=#FF0000]Same issues as B[color]

D.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Prep. combination [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 06:01
Toughie...still thinking..
:shock:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Prep. combination [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 12:18
I would go for D.
--while should start the sentence
--At the same time supporting, not the other way round
--Same reason
--Correct, it looks to me parallel as well.
--Same reason

Anyway really tough question, +1 to you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Prep. combination [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 12:33
Vote for A

In D

while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting

shoudn't "supporting" be "they support" for ||sm
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Prep. combination [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 16:33
I don't think 'while' with 'at the same time' is redundant.

I am for 'A'.

'D' is incorrect as the sentnence is not complete in meaning in 'D'.
while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting

We need to have verb to complete the sentence. But the participles (saying and supporting) are used. So this doesn't make sense.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 269 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC. Prep. combination [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 16:53
Friends, why dont you like B? What do you think about B? Thanks!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. Prep. combination [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 17:12
I'll go for D. I agree with the reasons cited by mbawaters.
Here is my justification for D:

75. A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health car, education, and environment.

It is only necessary for the saying and supporting to be // because they address the conservative and political views. "denounce" need not be // to them.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Prep. combination [#permalink] New post 21 May 2008, 16:33
sondenso wrote:

Problem with B is -
they denounce big government—they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful—but supporting at the same time

'They denounce' and 'but supporting' are not parellel.

Please share the OA.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 269 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC. Prep. combination [#permalink] New post 21 May 2008, 16:56
vshaunak@gmail.com wrote:
sondenso wrote:

Problem with B is -
they denounce big government—they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful—but supporting at the same time

'They denounce' and 'but supporting' are not parellel.

Please share the OA.

OA is A

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2008, 09:32
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

(A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

(B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time

(C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

(D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting

(E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- good practise from the brutal SC set [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2008, 10:28
Is it A?? :)...

I shall explain if it is.....

Last edited by Ashwin_Mohan on 14 Jul 2008, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- good practise from the brutal SC set [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2008, 10:29
IMO

(A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting - correct

(B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time - distort the meaning why they denounce big government.

(C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time - again meaning is distorted , looks like a list of views

(D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting - while

(E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time - while
VP
VP

Re: SC- good practise from the brutal SC set [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 10:30
jallenmorris wrote:
I think it's A - typing explanation now...
goalsnr wrote:
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

Correct by POE, and the clauses are used correctly. "They [action here], while [doing another action here]." Here it might appear as though "supporting" is being used as a verb, but I believe "they are" is implied in this part of the sentence.
"but supporting at the same time" this uses "supporting" as a verb. It is not a verb. It's a gerund....a verb + ing that is supposed to be used as a noun.
This attempts to use parallelism "denounce, say, and has become" but first it isn't correctly parallel and parallelism is not appropriate for the intent of this sentence.
starting out with "while" is not necessarily incorrect, but it's not the best practice for this sentence. Furthermore, "at the same time" is incorrect. When you use a phrase like "while they denounce big governemnt, blah blah blah, [noun/object needed here]". This is incorrect. Correct example, "While they are a popular breed, English bulldogs are very expensive."
Wow, this has too much wrong with it to begin naming them...I doubt anyone here would think E is correct.

Allen , Thanks for teh explanation

I think the problem with D its the awakard structure.The second part of the sentence has to be an independent sentence.
I dont think D can be a indpendent sentence becaus eit does not have a independent clause. The sentence is fragmented because of teh dependent clauses.
VP
VP

Re: SC- good practise from the brutal SC set [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 10:31
OA is A
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 21:30
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.
a - they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting
b - they denounce big government--they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they supporting at the same time
c - they denounce big government, they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time
d - while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting
e - while they are denouncing big government--they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful--supporting at the same time
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2008, 21:30