Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 15:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [5] , given: 0

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2005, 04:40
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

(A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

(B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time

(C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

(D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting

(E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time

Please, provide explanations.
OA a few posts below.
Source – GMATPrep by Pearson VUE

Last edited by doe007 on 30 Apr 2013, 08:44, edited 2 times in total.
OA Added
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 21:51
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.
a - they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting
b - they denounce big government--they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful--but supporting at the same time
c - they denounce big government, they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time
d - while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting
e - while they are denouncing big government--they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful--supporting at the same time
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 512 [0], given: 19

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 22:20
mimi28 wrote:

a - they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting
b - they denounce big government--they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they supporting at the same time
c - they denounce big government, they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time
d - while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting
e - while they are denouncing big government--they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful--supporting at the same time

Stick with A as I see no error.
D/E are easily rulled out for awakward construction "while ................"
Among A/B/C, A is most clear, and concise.

Its not an easy one though...........

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

VP
VP
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 23:10
Good question.Im confused b/w A and C. actually A is no doubt concise and clear. But I have 1 doubt.In A there is error in parallelism(see highlited area). This is removed in C though C is wordy and they is redundant. But because of paralleism , i go for C
mimi28 wrote:
a - they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supportingb - they denounce big government--they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they supporting at the same time
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: SC [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2008, 00:36
mimi28 wrote:
b - they denounce big government--they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful--but supporting at the same time

1. semicolon joins the two independent clause, but "while" in D and E do not help introduce the independent clause, so D and E out

2. "they...., they..., and it...., while....." C out

3. they denounce....but supporting: not parallel, B out

A wins

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2008, 12:04
ritula wrote:
Good question.Im confused b/w A and C. actually A is no doubt concise and clear. But I have 1 doubt.In A there is error in parallelism(see highlited area). This is removed in C though C is wordy and they is redundant. But because of paralleism , i go for C
mimi28 wrote:
a - they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supportingb - they denounce big government--they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they supporting at the same time

c should have a semicolon instead of a comma separating the independent clause starting with the 2nd they
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 3

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 10:04
This post received
KUDOS
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time

C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting

E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 101 [1] , given: 22

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 10:11
This post received
KUDOS
jitendra wrote:
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time

C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting

E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time

I'd prefer to go with C. what's the OA?
they denounce.....while they support at the same time, goes just about alright with parallelism, as compared to the other options.

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 3

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 14:17
This post received
KUDOS
IMO A vs C - Even though i say that C is the correct answer, i have a feeling that i am wrong. In A - I think it has a parallel issue where as in C - i think that "say that government... i think - it is not clear who does say refer to government or people.

The problem with this is - the third part i.e (while at the same..) of the underlined statement is not parallel. It is supposed to be parallel with the second part i.e (saying..). Ideally it should be - saying.... while supporting at the same time

WRONG - not sure about the reason, but just feel it.

CORRECT

Use of while is incorrect, as the second part of the statement should not be be in any case related to first and should be able to stand independently.

Use of while is incorrect, as the second part of the statement should not be be in any case related to first and should be able to stand independently.

Last edited by ms on 28 Jan 2010, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2010, 08:55
jitendra wrote:

C is wrong because
C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time.
"Denounce" & "say" is both V. To correct the choice, it requires conjunction in between.

I am not born to be a GENIUS nor a GMATTER. If you are struggling, we are in the same boat. Fight to the last!!

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 109 [1] , given: 46

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 10:52
This post received
KUDOS
jitendra wrote:

Here the Parallelism is between verbs say and support

So the correct answer is:

Last edited by piyatiwari on 01 Feb 2010, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 13:54
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 25

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 13:07
IMO A.

,something, ---> means apposite, an extra information.In C ,say ...., is not apposite.

jitendra what is OA?

Cheers,
SD

Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 33

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2010, 22:00
denounce and support should be parallel to each other or in other words should have the same verb tense.

Therefore "C" is the best choice.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2010, 07:11

parallelism error verb denounce and support should be parallel

only choices C and E satisfies this criteria

E is awkward and wordy

so my choice is C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 3

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 04:24
Undoubtedly 'A', as sentence constructions for rest of the options is incorrect.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 05:28
OA is "A" after searching around on the net.....
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 732 [0], given: 40

Re: A recent poll [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 21:26
Classic. IMO A.

I prefer a WHILE based contrast in which WHILE is placed in the later part of the contrast. Here, this is better than the rest and also exhibits ||sm.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 2

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 15:28
this one has not been clarified yet.
Why is A better than D?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 2

Re: A recent poll [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 15:29
ykaiim wrote:
Classic. IMO A.

I prefer a WHILE based contrast in which WHILE is placed in the later part of the contrast. Here, this is better than the rest and also exhibits ||sm.

where have you read that rule?
thanks

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 11

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 06:53
dixitm wrote:
jitendra wrote:

here the people denounce the government but they also support the government for something else.
so denounce and support should be || and only C has that option.
but in C, they denounce big government, say that government is is wrong because here it should be saying. The way the denounce the govt is by saying govt is doing too much.
A corrects this problem it to they denounce the big government, saying government is doing but denounce and support are not || So A is also wrong

i don't know what to choose as all the options are wrong. what the source of the question
Re: SC-Parellelism   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2010, 06:53