Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [4] , given: 0

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2005, 04:40
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

(A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

(B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time

(C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

(D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting

(E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time

Please, provide explanations.
OA a few posts below.
Source – GMATPrep by Pearson VUE

Last edited by doe007 on 30 Apr 2013, 08:44, edited 2 times in total.
OA Added
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas, HBS, UNC, Duke, Kellogg, etc
WE 1: Investment Banking Domain, Functionally-Technology
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 21:53
optionC: they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time is wrong...

"say that government"... part looks awkward... the sentence construction isnt right.

while A though wordy a bit... is correct on construction

Imo A...!!!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 6

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 07:01
I picked C because of parallelism and understood that its wrong. But at the same time I could not digest the fact that 'A' is correct because of parallelism. Hence googled it and found the below explanation which is quite convincing and should help everyone.

Quote:
this sentence has more of a function of proper sentence structure when combining complex parts of sentences into one long sentence than parallelism

B is wrong because the main sentence reads "they denounce big government but supporting at the same time." "But" is a coordinating conjunction, used to connect two independent clauses, but the second half of this sentence "supporting at the same time..." is not an independent clause (that is, it cannot function as a stand-alone sentence).

C is a run on: "they denounce, they say" Both of those - "they denounce big government" and "
they say that government is doing too much" - are independent clauses and need to be connected either via a coordinating conjunction or a semi-colon. See, for example "they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful" - those are two independent clauses connected by the coordinating conjuction "and."

D is wrong because the main sentence reads "they denounce big government at the same time supporting" - you need a contrast word such as "while" between government and at. Same reason for E.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 01:56
I picked C because the words "denounce" and "support" are parallel. However after reading the snippet, which is convincing and ofcourse correct, shared by seekmba it seems that the only option that can be correct is A. But I am not at all convinced with the option.

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

As per my understanding of the question, the people of US hold a combination of conservative views (they denounce the government, saying government is doing too much and it has become powerful) and liberal views (they support the many specific government programs for....)
I still feel that denounce and support should be parallel.

Can somebody please explain if they feel otherwise....
7 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 328

Kudos [?]: 702 [7] , given: 11

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 20:28
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

Still plenty of discussion about this one, so I thought I'd weigh in. I also got PM'd about it, so it's time.

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting
ANSWER: Parallelism is here, it's just been written oddly. The main verb is "denounce." From there we have two things happening "saying government is doing too much...WHILE...supporting many specific programs." Saying/Supporting is parallel.

B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time
PROBLEM: As soon as we say "they say" again, we've started a new independent clause. That's not okay. Also "they denounce...but supporting" doesn't work

C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time
PROBLEM: I know people like this because they see denounce/say/support. However, just because something is VISUALLY similar does not mean it's correctly parallel. We can't have a "they" in front of the first verb (denounce" and the third verb (support), but not in front of the second verb (say). Also "at the same time" needs to come BEFORE "they support." If they place it afterwords, it sounds like the people are going to be supporting TWO things "at the same time."

D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting
PROBLEM: We never actually get an independent clause here. "While" starts us off in something dependent, then both "saying" and "supporting" are opening up participial phrases. Try saying this selection on its own. It's not independent (a full on "sentence"), so doesn't belong after a semicolon.

E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time
PROBLEM: This one's a mess. We have the weirdness of opening with the dependent clause "while," but then we start a new clause "they say", then modifying oddly with supporting. We also get the same "at the same time" problem as in C.

Hope that helps!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 03:32
C for me..because of parallelism.

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 06:00
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Still plenty of discussion about this one, so I thought I'd weigh in. I also got PM'd about it, so it's time.

A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting
ANSWER: Parallelism is here, it's just been written oddly. The main verb is "denounce." From there we have two things happening "saying government is doing too much...WHILE...supporting many specific programs." Saying/Supporting is parallel.

B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time
PROBLEM: As soon as we say "they say" again, we've started a new independent clause. That's not okay. Also "they denounce...but supporting" doesn't work

C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time
PROBLEM: I know people like this because they see denounce/say/support. However, just because something is VISUALLY similar does not mean it's correctly parallel. We can't have a "they" in front of the first verb (denounce" and the third verb (support), but not in front of the second verb (say). Also "at the same time" needs to come BEFORE "they support." If they place it afterwords, it sounds like the people are going to be supporting TWO things "at the same time."

D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting
PROBLEM: We never actually get an independent clause here. "While" starts us off in something dependent, then both "saying" and "supporting" are opening up participial phrases. Try saying this selection on its own. It's not independent (a full on "sentence"), so doesn't belong after a semicolon.

E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time
PROBLEM: This one's a mess. We have the weirdness of opening with the dependent clause "while," but then we start a new clause "they say", then modifying oddly with supporting. We also get the same "at the same time" problem as in C.

Hope that helps!

-t

Thanks for the good explanation Tommy.
It make more sense to me now to choose A
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 07:44
TommyWallach wrote:

hi,Tommy,I think "denounce" and "support" are parallel, as "saying....." is a further explanation about the denouncement of big government.
so maybe "while" here leads an elliptical clause..... is it? Is so ,will it raise ambiguity about what the "while" part is parallel with?

There's another SC problem in which the "while at the same time doing " is the right answer.

Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have improved the standard of living around the globe while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having gone virtually unregulated since they were developed more than 50 years ago.
A. while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having
B. while at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants that have
C. while they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time, which have
D. but introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time that have
E. but at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutant, having

thank you very much!

Kudos [?]: 702 [0], given: 11

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 15:41
Hey Kaja,

I'm not quite sure exactly what your question is. Yes, the other question you cite makes the same point as this one (that we can say "while at the same time X-ing"). As for parallelism, you have to work with what you're given. I'd love an answer choice that correctly paralleled the verbs "denounce" and "support." But it isn't here. That means they MUST be paralleling the other verbs. In other words, almost everyone DENOUNCES the government, but while doing so, some "SAY X" while others "SUPPORT Y."

Feel free to keep following up if I haven't answered your question!

-t

Intern
Intern

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 20:55
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey Kaja,

I'm not quite sure exactly what your question is. Yes, the other question you cite makes the same point as this one (that we can say "while at the same time X-ing"). As for parallelism, you have to work with what you're given. I'd love an answer choice that correctly paralleled the verbs "denounce" and "support." But it isn't here. That means they MUST be paralleling the other verbs. In other words, almost everyone DENOUNCES the government, but while doing so, some "SAY X" while others "SUPPORT Y."

Feel free to keep following up if I haven't answered your question!

-t

Hi Tommy,
I still think "While at the same time supporting" is parallel with "denounce", the speaker is citing an example of "a combination of conservative and liberal political views ", if we consider "supporting" parallel with "saying", the "denounce" clause seems to lead these two part. and the example will not mean "combination thought" , structurely at least.

Well, based on the above thought, I cite another question in which "while at the sametime doing" seems parallel with a clause.

so, I'm asking:
1.in the government question, is the "while" part really parallel with "saying" part?
2.if the"while" part is parallel with "denounce"part, should we consider the while part is an elliptical clause ? (the industrial evolution question makes think this way).
3,if it is clause, why choose elliptical form? don't GMAT prefer the perfect parallem that looks similar in clause sturcture? why here we choose an elliptial form to be paralleled with an non-elliptical one?
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: A recent poll [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 03:53
noboru wrote:
ykaiim wrote:
Classic. IMO A.

I prefer a WHILE based contrast in which WHILE is placed in the later part of the contrast. Here, this is better than the rest and also exhibits ||sm.

where have you read that rule?
thanks

arent you going to answer?
thanks

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kudos [?]: 702 [0], given: 11

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 11:08
Hey Kaja,

1. No. You can't parallel "while" and "saying." One is a conjunction and one is a participle.

2. It's not. One is a conjunction and one is a verb.

3. It's not. It's not.

I don't care about elliptical versus non-elliptical. It's much more straight forward than that.

"While at the same time" is a conjunction. It, on its own, couldn't parallel anything. The stuff that's parallel comes AFTER the conjunction. "-ing" words have to match with other "-ing" words, and regular verbs go with regular verbs. Let's do this ONE MORE TIME:

A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting --> Saying/Supporting = parallel

B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time --> say/supporting = not parallel

C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time --> say/support = parallel

D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting --> saying/supporting = parallel

E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time --> say/supporting = not parallel

It's really that simple. Elliptical versus non-elliptical is immaterial.

-t

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 12:56
Thanks for explaination. I was thinking C while on first page and then saw your reasoning.

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Intern
Intern

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 17:46
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey Kaja,

1. No. You can't parallel "while" and "saying." One is a conjunction and one is a participle.

2. It's not. One is a conjunction and one is a verb.

3. It's not. It's not.

I don't care about elliptical versus non-elliptical. It's much more straight forward than that.

"While at the same time" is a conjunction. It, on its own, couldn't parallel anything. The stuff that's parallel comes AFTER the conjunction. "-ing" words have to match with other "-ing" words, and regular verbs go with regular verbs. Let's do this ONE MORE TIME:

A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting --> Saying/Supporting = parallel

B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time --> say/supporting = not parallel

C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time --> say/support = parallel

D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting --> saying/supporting = parallel

E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time --> say/supporting = not parallel

It's really that simple. Elliptical versus non-elliptical is immaterial.

-t

hi, Tommy!

Kaja wrote:
I still think "While at the same time supporting" is parallel with "denounce", the speaker is citing an example of "a combination of conservative and liberal political views ", if we consider "supporting" parallel with "saying", the "denounce" clause seems to lead these two part. and the example will not mean "combination thought" , structurely at least.

in this part, sorry I didn't make that clear, when I said"while part" , I meant "supporting......". I still can't believe "supporting...." is parallel with "saying....." ,in the respect of meaning. ,could you elaborate on that?

And for the "while at the same time doing"...in this SC problem, how can we undersand the seemingly parallelism between"have improved"and "introducing"?

Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have improved the standard of living around the globe while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having gone virtually unregulated since they were developed more than 50 years ago.
A. while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having
B. while at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants that have
C. while they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time, which have
D. but introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time that have
E. but at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutant, having

Thanks again for your answer and patience.:-)

Kaja
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 21:34
Tommy,
just one quick question, in A the two participle phrases are separated by a comma, correct if am wrong but isn't it wrong to separate two participle modifiers by a comma?
and if so, is it okay to separate them using a conjunction?

Nanquam Fractum

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 02:34
Kaja wrote:
TommyWallach wrote:
There's another SC problem in which the "while at the same time doing " is the right answer.

thank you very much!

Kaja please reveal the answer to the problem quoted above.U havnt given the OA.

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 04:06
Kaja wrote:
mundasingh123 wrote:
Kaja please reveal the answer to the problem quoted above.U havnt given the OA.

It is B.
Hi
How can it be B?
"they" has an ambiguous antecedent

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

2 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 702 [2] , given: 11

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 18:53
This post received
KUDOS
Kaja,

The example you give is not the same. Our sentence has TWO modifiers of the main verb "denounce," which are then paralleled. Your example only has ONE modifier of the main verb "improved," so there's no need for parallel.

As for elevinty, I would agree. I'd much prefer the sentence without the comma. However, there's not a better option out there! For what it's worth, I don't like the question overall. A and C both are squidgy on the parallelism (the issue here is the comma, and in A, the use of "while...at the same time" in the third term).

-t

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 08:38
TommyWallach wrote:
Kaja,

The example you give is not the same. Our sentence has TWO modifiers of the main verb "denounce," which are then paralleled. Your example only has ONE modifier of the main verb "improved," so there's no need for parallel.

As for elevinty, I would agree. I'd much prefer the sentence without the comma. However, there's not a better option out there! For what it's worth, I don't like the question overall. A and C both are squidgy on the parallelism (the issue here is the comma, and in A, the use of "while...at the same time" in the third term).

-t

Thanks for clearing this up
(and keep whispering) like the song!

Nanquam Fractum

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 19:18
This post received
KUDOS
"denounce" and "support" should be parallel since "saying...powerful" and "they say...powerful" are both modifiers only and could be removed when evaluating parallelism. eliminate:

"supporting at.." is missing a subject. Who's supporting? Eliminate:

Ans C

edit: nevermind. apparently OA is B
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2010, 06:41
This question is from GMATPREP. I can't believe they can put such ambiguous options : none of the options look like correct, as Tommy as correctly said above.
Re: SC-Parellelism   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2010, 06:41