Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 12:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [6] , given: 0

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2005, 04:40
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (02:11) correct 58% (01:27) wrong based on 917 sessions
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

(A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

(B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time

(C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

(D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting

(E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time

Please, provide explanations.
OA a few posts below.
Source – GMATPrep by Pearson VUE
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by doe007 on 30 Apr 2013, 08:44, edited 2 times in total.
OA Added
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
7 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 749 [7] , given: 11

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 20:28
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

Still plenty of discussion about this one, so I thought I'd weigh in. I also got PM'd about it, so it's time.

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting
ANSWER: Parallelism is here, it's just been written oddly. The main verb is "denounce." From there we have two things happening "saying government is doing too much...WHILE...supporting many specific programs." Saying/Supporting is parallel.

B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time
PROBLEM: As soon as we say "they say" again, we've started a new independent clause. That's not okay. Also "they denounce...but supporting" doesn't work

C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time
PROBLEM: I know people like this because they see denounce/say/support. However, just because something is VISUALLY similar does not mean it's correctly parallel. We can't have a "they" in front of the first verb (denounce" and the third verb (support), but not in front of the second verb (say). Also "at the same time" needs to come BEFORE "they support." If they place it afterwords, it sounds like the people are going to be supporting TWO things "at the same time."

D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting
PROBLEM: We never actually get an independent clause here. "While" starts us off in something dependent, then both "saying" and "supporting" are opening up participial phrases. Try saying this selection on its own. It's not independent (a full on "sentence"), so doesn't belong after a semicolon.

E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time
PROBLEM: This one's a mess. We have the weirdness of opening with the dependent clause "while," but then we start a new clause "they say", then modifying oddly with supporting. We also get the same "at the same time" problem as in C.

Hope that helps!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 749 [2] , given: 11

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 18:53
This post received
KUDOS
Kaja,

The example you give is not the same. Our sentence has TWO modifiers of the main verb "denounce," which are then paralleled. Your example only has ONE modifier of the main verb "improved," so there's no need for parallel.

As for elevinty, I would agree. I'd much prefer the sentence without the comma. However, there's not a better option out there! For what it's worth, I don't like the question overall. A and C both are squidgy on the parallelism (the issue here is the comma, and in A, the use of "while...at the same time" in the third term).

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

2 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [2] , given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 00:59
This post received
KUDOS
Please always post the source.

this question is from GMATprep, OA is A.

In first part fo the sentence is a hidden meaning:
Look at it A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views.
So at the same time they have conservative and liberl views.

Answer A perfectly suits in aforementioned meaning of the sentence:
they [people] denounce [express their views] big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful - [conservative position], while at the same time supporting - [liberal position]

Saying, while supporting - must be parallel.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3677 [2] , given: 185

Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 07:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi fozzy,

This is in response to your PM. Although many people have arrived at the correct answer, let me describe it in a little more detail as to how to eliminate the incorrect answer choices and why the correct one is indeed correct.

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

MEANING ANALYSIS:

According a recent poll, many people in the US have combination of conservative and liberal political views. They denounce big government for two reasons:
a. government is doing too much
b. government has become too powerful
But at the same time, they support many government health care, education, and environment programs.

ERROR ANALYSIS:

If we carefully study the structure of the underlined portion of this sentence, we will see it uses the structure – They denounce A while… supporting B. The same structure can be seen in OG 12 & 13#134 - Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job, and fatigue among shift workers while raising production efficiency in various industries.
The above correct sentence employs the same structure – “Shift-work equations have reduced… while raising…”
The semicolon is correctly followed by an IC.
Comma + verb-ing modifier “saying” correctly modifies the preceding clause. The parallelism is maintained between the two reasons stated for denouncing the government.
Also, the simultaneous action has been correctly written by using “while”. The phrase
at the same time” just lays more emphasis on this simultaneity of actions. This sentence has no errors.

PoE:

(A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting: Correct as is for the reason stated above.

(B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time: Incorrect. Use of “but” brings in contrast here. The intention is to talk about the simultaneity of actions. This is the reason why, in choice “while” has been followed by “at the same time”.

(C) they denounce big government, they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time: Incorrect. The two ICS are connected by comma. This is a run-on sentence.

(D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting: Incorrect. There is no IC after semicolon.

(E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time: Incorrect. Same error an in Choice D.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1198 [2] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 02:04
This post received
KUDOS
fozzzy wrote:
Thanks for the wonderful explanation just one question:

Doesn't "while" and "at the same time" mean the same thing? so why are they used side by side? won't that make it redundant?

Not necessarily.

While can mean:

1) at the same time, and this case "at the same time" is redundant.
"While I was driving my car, at the same time something happened."

2) contrast, and in this case "at the same time" is not redundant.
See the above sentence.
A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while (in this case shows contrast) at the same time supporting

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2005, 09:28
This post received
KUDOS
Pauline,

I give up. None of the choices seem to be right.

A is close but not sure.

OE will help.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2005, 00:23
This post received
KUDOS
riteshgupta1
I'm sorry to say, that Pearson VUE doesn't provide OE (that's why I'm posting here - to get an explanation).

This is a rather tricky one ;) I fell in the trap of parallelism and chose C...

OA is A.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 85 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2006, 07:03
This post received
KUDOS
This is a sitter because straight away C,D E are out........

because of while.................. at the same time.............

They don't come together.
I mean while denouncing they support
But we don't say that while denouncing at the same time they support.

So left with A and B.
Coming to B,

They denounce the gov- they say.............
we cannot have they two times as mentioned in the above statment

So A

Averages Accelerated:Guide to solve Averages Quickly(with 10 practice problems)

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2006, 22:12
This post received
KUDOS
Yes one more for A based on Parallelism of the verbs in the sentence

"Never let the fear of striking out get in your wayâ€

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 322 [1] , given: 1

Premium Member
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 00:25
This post received
KUDOS
75. A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health car, education, and environment.

A. they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting
B. they denounce big government—they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful—but supporting at the same time
C. they denounce big government, they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time
D. while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting
E. while they are denouncing big government—they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful—supporting at the same time

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 3

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 10:04
This post received
KUDOS
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time

C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting

E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 101 [1] , given: 22

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 10:11
This post received
KUDOS
jitendra wrote:

I'd prefer to go with C. what's the OA?
they denounce.....while they support at the same time, goes just about alright with parallelism, as compared to the other options.

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 3

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 14:17
This post received
KUDOS
IMO A vs C - Even though i say that C is the correct answer, i have a feeling that i am wrong. In A - I think it has a parallel issue where as in C - i think that "say that government... i think - it is not clear who does say refer to government or people.

The problem with this is - the third part i.e (while at the same..) of the underlined statement is not parallel. It is supposed to be parallel with the second part i.e (saying..). Ideally it should be - saying.... while supporting at the same time

WRONG - not sure about the reason, but just feel it.

CORRECT

Use of while is incorrect, as the second part of the statement should not be be in any case related to first and should be able to stand independently.

Use of while is incorrect, as the second part of the statement should not be be in any case related to first and should be able to stand independently.

Last edited by ms on 28 Jan 2010, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 109 [1] , given: 46

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 10:52
This post received
KUDOS
jitendra wrote:

Here the Parallelism is between verbs say and support

So the correct answer is:

Last edited by piyatiwari on 01 Feb 2010, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 15

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 19:18
This post received
KUDOS
"denounce" and "support" should be parallel since "saying...powerful" and "they say...powerful" are both modifiers only and could be removed when evaluating parallelism. eliminate:

"supporting at.." is missing a subject. Who's supporting? Eliminate:

Ans C

edit: nevermind. apparently OA is B
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 315

Re: SC-Parellelism [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 07:59
This post received
KUDOS
jitendra wrote:

A is correct
(B): not paralel "denounce" v.s "but supporting"; "but" is used to connect 2 independent clauses but 2 clauses of this sentence is dependable.
"they denounce big government- they say that " is awkward.
(C): run-on error: 2 verbs " they denounce..., say..."
(D)+(E): "while" should be followed by "at the same time" to express contradict ideas

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [1] , given: 10

Re: Brutal SC 68 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 07:38
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:

A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting..... Use of SUbject - they right after i.e. is appropriate also saying.... supporting ... parallel. Also, sentence is in present tense therefore use of present progressive is appropriate. Hence correct answer

B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time........they say... but supporting..... lacking parallelism

C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time ....... Prsent progressive tense is required

D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting.......Use of while is unnecessary

E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time........Same as D

Check this link

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/invite.do?in=NzYxOTkxJSMlRzF0NGJKQnllT1kzVmRmbTVBb2tLZ1Q4RA==

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/pages/rupeemail/images/joinImage.gif

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 1388 [1] , given: 122

Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 11:04
This post received
KUDOS
penguinman wrote:
Why is B wrong? Are dashes not commonly used on the GMAT, and are you not supposed to put a relative pronoun along with dashes?

Hi penguinman

This difference between A & B is "WHILE vs BUT"

* BUT:
Technically, "but" connects two independent clauses. Two clauses must be parallel.
However, in B: "they denounce.......but supporting" ==> not parallel. The correct structure is "they denounce X but support Y

*WHILE:
If the sentence has same subject, we can omit the second subject after while.
"While + Ving" is correct.
Example: He talked to me while watching a football game on TV.

Hence, A is correct by using the structure "they denounce.......while at the same time supporting.........

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 413 [1] , given: 210

Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2014, 14:00
This post received
KUDOS
plaverbach wrote:
Paralelism:
They denounce big government, sayING...While at the same time suportING

It seams wrong, what have I missed?

Hi,

Take simple sentence.

I washed my clothes, while talking on the phone.

lets make it complex.

I washed my clothes, using new washing machine, while talking on the phone.

Now compare above sentence with :
they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting ...

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2014, 14:00