Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:00 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [105]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30779 [31]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30779 [14]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V26
Send PM
Re: A recent poll of elected officials suggests that candidates, when in [#permalink]
Kudos
A recent poll of elected officials suggests that candidates, when in the midst of a tough campaign, often make statements about an opponent that they may not think is true.
Here
recent poll suggests that candidates ..... often make STATEMENTS about....that they may not think ARE true.
It is number (noun) problem. the subject of is plural (statements); so plural verb is needed.

HTH
Manager
Manager
Status:SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [6]
Given Kudos: 30
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: A recent poll of elected officials suggests that candidates, when in [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A recent poll of elected officials suggests that candidates,when in the midst of a tough campaign, oftenmake statements about an opponent that they may not think is true.

the reduced stem : Candidates make statements THAT they think .................... true.

Guess removing the clutter makes it a bit easier to zone in on the correct variable / to fill up the blank

Leading to ARE.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Abhi398

Only statements about opponents can be true or untrue. An opponent cannot be said to be true or not. What will be the meaning of a true opponent or an untrue opponent? The meaning doesn’t gel, does it
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 416 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
egmat wrote:
HI Sujit,

A recent poll of elected officials suggests that candidates, when in the midst of a tough campaign, often make statements about an opponent that they may not think is true.

Since your question is specific, let us dissect this sentence to know analyze the structure:

Cl. 1: A recent poll of elected officials suggests

Cl. 2: that candidates, when in the midst of a tough campaign, often make statements about an opponent

Cl. 3: that

Cl. 4: they may not think

Cont. of Cl. 3: is true.

(blue = subjects, pink = verbs)

Let’s focus only on the structure of the sentence. For a minute assume that Clause 4 “they may not think” is not there. So the relevant portion of the sentence now is as follows:
Candidates,…, often make statements about an opponent that is true.

As you can see now in this sentence there should not be any confusion that “that” is the subject of the verb – is. And obviously “that” refers to the noun phrase “statements about an opponent”. Now let’s bring back clause 4 – they may not think. This clause adds contextually important information - what candidates may think or not think about those statements. But it by itself has SV pair. So this clause definitely adds contextually important information but structurally it fits right in.

The subject of Cl. 3 “that” stands for “statements”. Since “statements” is a plural subject, we need a plural verb for that. That is why choice B (are) is the correct answer.

Choice A leads to SV number agreement error and the other choices fail to make a clause with subject “that” that refers to “statements”.

I hope this helps resolve the confusion. If you still have doubts about this then think of it the following questions - what is “that” associated with; what “is true”.

You can refer to OG 12#118 question as well. Following is the sentence with correct answer choice C:

The world wildlife fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings's burning of fossil fuels will create havoc among migratory birds by altering the enviroment in ways harmful to their habitats.

Thanks
Shraddha

Can anyone please explain how to rule out options C and D ?

Thanks,
Ankit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: Smith '16 (I)
Send PM
egmat wrote:

Cl. 2: that candidates, when in the midst of a tough campaign, often make statements about an opponent

Let’s focus only on the structure of the sentence. For a minute assume that Clause 4 “they may not think” is not there. So the relevant portion of the sentence now is as follows:

As you can see now in this sentence there should not be any confusion that “that” is the subject of the verb – is. And obviously “that” refers to the noun phrase “statements about an opponent”. Now let’s bring back clause 4 – they may not think. This clause adds contextually important information - what candidates may think or not think about those statements. But it by itself has SV pair. So this clause definitely adds contextually important information but structurally it fits right in.

The subject of Cl. 3 “that” stands for “statements”. Since “statements” is a plural subject, we need a plural verb for that. That is why choice B (are) is the correct answer.

I think this whole explanation relies on the fact That "that" in this sentence acts as a subject.

now to understand this construction I read a good article here learn-how-that-can-help-you-demystify-a-long-sentence-138358.html (Kudos for this BTW.

but the way I see is something like this.

A recent poll of elected officials suggests
Suggest what?
that candidates, when in the midst of a tough campaign, often make statements about an opponent (so "that" is a connector here not a subject.)

that they may not think is true
what kind of statements they make.. answer is that is not true.

now again as I noticed in eg in link of post above "that" where used as a connector combines 2 clauses and where it is subject it touches the noun left to "that" (in the examples cited in the article). I understand that it may be just a case with the examples mentioned in article but not a general rule, however in the context of this sentence problem I felt that "they" is subject and not "that" can you tell me a more elaborate or a mechanical way to make out what is the context of "that" in such tricky sentences as I really get confused in such situations.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30779 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
nikhil007 wrote:
egmat wrote:

I think this whole explanation relies on the fact That "that" in this sentence acts as a subject.

now to understand this construction I read a good article here learn-how-that-can-help-you-demystify-a-long-sentence-138358.html (Kudos for this BTW.

but the way I see is something like this.

A recent poll of elected officials suggests
Suggest what?
that candidates, when in the midst of a tough campaign, often make statements about an opponent (so "that" is a connector here not a subject.)

that they may not think is true
what kind of statements they make.. answer is that is not true.

now again as I noticed in eg in link of post above "that" where used as a connector combines 2 clauses and where it is subject it touches the noun left to "that" (in the examples cited in the article). I understand that it may be just a case with the examples mentioned in article but not a general rule, however in the context of this sentence problem I felt that "they" is subject and not "that" can you tell me a more elaborate or a mechanical way to make out what is the context of "that" in such tricky sentences as I really get confused in such situations.

Hi nikhil007,

I completely agree with you that the first "that" in the sentence is a connector that joins two clauses. However, the second "that" is a relative pronoun. It is not a connecter that joins the clause "they may not think" with the previous clause. This clause is actually inserted between the Subject "that" and the verb "is" in the original choice. You can see my clause split for this sentence.

Now insertion of clauses between the Subject and the Verb is not uncommon on GMAT SC. Since the second "that", the relative pronoun, refers to its immediately preceding noun plural "statements about an opponent", we need a plural verb to agree in number with the plural Subject. The clause "they may not think" gives us some more information that candidates often make statements that they themselves may not think are true. The information given by the clause adds to the context of the sentence.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1832 [3]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos