Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Dec 2014, 12:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent poll of elected officials suggests that candidates,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 89 [1] , given: 103

A recent poll of elected officials suggests that candidates, [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 17:49
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (01:27) correct 43% (00:35) wrong based on 212 sessions
A recent poll of elected officials suggests that candidates, when in the midst of a tough campaign, often make statements about an opponent that they may not think is true.

A. is
B. are
C. to be
D. of as
E. it is

Guys need help to analyze the last clause... that they may not think is true. what is subject that or they? why there are two verbs.
I picked up C(not a verb) ..but its wrong...
please post your comments.
People who only want to post the ans option rather than full dissection please refrain . B'coz all of us know the ans no need to repeat it.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V26

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: A recent poll of elected officials [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 22:50
A recent poll of elected officials suggests that candidates, when in the midst of a tough campaign, often make statements about an opponent that they may not think is true.
Here
recent poll suggests that candidates ..... often make STATEMENTS about....that they may not think ARE true.
It is number (noun) problem. the subject of is plural (statements); so plural verb is needed.

HTH
Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1340

Kudos [?]: 3887 [7] , given: 194

Re: A recent poll of elected officials [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 07:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
HI Sujit,

Since your question is specific, let us dissect this sentence to know analyze the structure:

Cl. 1: A recent poll of elected officials suggests

Cl. 2: that candidates, when in the midst of a tough campaign, often make statements about an opponent

Cl. 3: that

Cl. 4: they may not think

Cont. of Cl. 3: is true.

(blue = subjects, pink = verbs)

Let’s focus only on the structure of the sentence. For a minute assume that Clause 4 “they may not think” is not there. So the relevant portion of the sentence now is as follows:
Candidates,…, often make statements about an opponent that is true.

As you can see now in this sentence there should not be any confusion that “that” is the subject of the verb – is. And obviously “that” refers to the noun phrase “statements about an opponent”. Now let’s bring back clause 4 – they may not think. This clause adds contextually important information - what candidates may think or not think about those statements. But it by itself has SV pair. So this clause definitely adds contextually important information but structurally it fits right in.

The subject of Cl. 3 “that” stands for “statements”. Since “statements” is a plural subject, we need a plural verb for that. That is why choice B (are) is the correct answer.

Choice A leads to SV number agreement error and the other choices fail to make a clause with subject “that” that refers to “statements”.

I hope this helps resolve the confusion. If you still have doubts about this then think of it the following questions - what is “that” associated with; what “is true”.

You can refer to OG 12#118 question as well. Following is the sentence with correct answer choice C:

The world wildlife fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings's burning of fossil fuels will create havoc among migratory birds by altering the enviroment in ways harmful to their habitats.

Thanks
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Schools: IIMC (I), IIM
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 30

Re: A recent poll of elected officials suggests that candidates, [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 04:02
This post received
KUDOS
A recent poll of elected officials suggests that candidates,when in the midst of a tough campaign, oftenmake statements about an opponent that they may not think is true.

the reduced stem : Candidates make statements THAT they think .................... true.

Guess removing the clutter makes it a bit easier to zone in on the correct variable / to fill up the blank

Leading to ARE.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-01-2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 84

Re: A recent poll of elected officials suggests that candidates, [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 00:24
I went for option "B" using the singular rule of Subject Verb Agreement. Statements - Plural Subject, Are - Plural Verb.

I will rather do nothing than be busy doing nothing - Zen saying

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 180

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A recent poll of elected officials suggests that candidates, [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 05:56
They refer to candidates .....

an opponent is singular so it will be "is" and not "are" ....

Hence A ...
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 286

Kudos [?]: 1850 [1] , given: 253

Re: A recent poll of elected officials suggests that candidates, [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 07:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Abhi398

Only statements about opponents can be true or untrue. An opponent cannot be said to be true or not. What will be the meaning of a true opponent or an untrue opponent? The meaning doesn’t gel, does it
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Asset Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 5

Re: A recent poll of elected officials suggests that candidates, [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 07:41
Any idea why option C is not correct. "they may not think to be true"

Although I've chosen option B during practice, I am not confident enough why option C is incorrect.

eGmat expert please help

My mantra for cracking GMAT:
Everyone has inborn talent, however those who complement it with hard work we call them 'talented'.

+1 Kudos = Thank You Dear :)
Are you saying thank you?

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 11

Re: A recent poll of elected officials [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 04:03
egmat wrote:
HI Sujit,

Since your question is specific, let us dissect this sentence to know analyze the structure:

Cl. 2: that candidates, when in the midst of a tough campaign, often make statements about an opponent

Let’s focus only on the structure of the sentence. For a minute assume that Clause 4 “they may not think” is not there. So the relevant portion of the sentence now is as follows:

As you can see now in this sentence there should not be any confusion that “that” is the subject of the verb – is. And obviously “that” refers to the noun phrase “statements about an opponent”. Now let’s bring back clause 4 – they may not think. This clause adds contextually important information - what candidates may think or not think about those statements. But it by itself has SV pair. So this clause definitely adds contextually important information but structurally it fits right in.

The subject of Cl. 3 “that” stands for “statements”. Since “statements” is a plural subject, we need a plural verb for that. That is why choice B (are) is the correct answer.

Choice A leads to SV number agreement error and the other choices fail to make a clause with subject “that” that refers to “statements”.

I hope this helps resolve the confusion. If you still have doubts about this then think of it the following questions - what is “that” associated with; what “is true”.

You can refer to OG 12#118 question as well. Following is the sentence with correct answer choice C:

The world wildlife fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings's burning of fossil fuels will create havoc among migratory birds by altering the enviroment in ways harmful to their habitats.

Thanks
Shraddha

Can anyone please explain how to rule out options C and D ?

Thanks,
Ankit

You want something, go get it . Period !

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3887 [1] , given: 194

Re: A recent poll of elected officials [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 06:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ankit0411 wrote:

Thanks,
Ankit

Hi Ankit,

If you have studied the sentence structure that I have mentioned in my post, you will notice that there are 4 clauses in this sentence. Clause 3 is a “that clause” where “that” stands for “statements”. In the original sentence, this plural subject has singular verb “is” and hence is incorrect because we have subject-verb number agreement error.

Now let’s analyze choice C: “to be”. Notice that “to be” is not a verb. This does not complete Clause 3. We need a verb to have a complete Clause 3. We need a verb for “that = statements”. Hence, this choice is incorrect.

Choice D is incorrect again for the same reason. Prepositional phrase “of as” does not complete Clause 3. There is no verb for “that”.

Choice B is the correct naswer as it rectifies the SV number agreement issue.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 11

Re: A recent poll of elected officials [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 06:38
egmat wrote:
ankit0411 wrote:

Thanks,
Ankit

Hi Ankit,

If you have studied the sentence structure that I have mentioned in my post, you will notice that there are 4 clauses in this sentence. Clause 3 is a “that clause” where “that” stands for “statements”. In the original sentence, this plural subject has singular verb “is” and hence is incorrect because we have subject-verb number agreement error.

Now let’s analyze choice C: “to be”. Notice that “to be” is not a verb. This does not complete Clause 3. We need a verb to have a complete Clause 3. We need a verb for “that = statements”. Hence, this choice is incorrect.

Choice D is incorrect again for the same reason. Prepositional phrase “of as” does not complete Clause 3. There is no verb for “that”.

Thanks.
Shraddha

So ideally, we're looking for a verb that follows "that" and hence, ARE fits in.

choice B makes sense now .

Thanks,
Ankit

You want something, go get it . Period !

Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 67

Re: A recent poll of elected officials suggests that candidates, [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 14:45
I Agree to all explanation...but those contending to the fact that Idiom "think of X as Y" is preferred......Are seriously mistaken...OE says that think of x as y is not standard english...neither is think of x to be y......
Some a take away from this question as per OE..

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!!

Archit
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 562

Re: A recent poll of elected officials [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 02:48
egmat wrote:
ankit0411 wrote:

Thanks,
Ankit

Hi Ankit,

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shradhha,
I have attached the official explanation which says C and D fit in but are awkward. . I fail to understand what can be termed awkward. :evil:
Attachments

OExp.JPG
OExp.JPG [ 21.93 KiB | Viewed 2961 times ]

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Manager
Manager
Schools: Smith '16 (I)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A recent poll of elected officials [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 10:28
egmat wrote:

I think this whole explanation relies on the fact That "that" in this sentence acts as a subject.

now to understand this construction I read a good article here learn-how-that-can-help-you-demystify-a-long-sentence-138358.html (Kudos for this BTW.

but the way I see is something like this.

A recent poll of elected officials suggests
Suggest what?
that candidates, when in the midst of a tough campaign, often make statements about an opponent (so "that" is a connector here not a subject.)

that they may not think is true
what kind of statements they make.. answer is that is not true.

now again as I noticed in eg in link of post above "that" where used as a connector combines 2 clauses and where it is subject it touches the noun left to "that" (in the examples cited in the article). I understand that it may be just a case with the examples mentioned in article but not a general rule, however in the context of this sentence problem I felt that "they" is subject and not "that" can you tell me a more elaborate or a mechanical way to make out what is the context of "that" in such tricky sentences as I really get confused in such situations.

Life is very similar to a boxing ring.
Defeat is not final when you fall down…
It is final when you refuse to get up and fight back!

1 Kudos = 1 thanks
Nikhil

Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 360

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A recent poll of elected officials suggests that candidates, [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 12:26
IMO B
BukrsGmat wrote:

A. is
B. are
C. to be
D. of as
E. it is

a)not possible since the question talks about "statements" which is plural.so "is" cannot be there
d)not possible
e)same reason as (a)
Now down to (b) and (c)
we can relate them to these small sentences...
1)I think that information is true
2)I think the information to be true..
the second one is a bit awkward
Now compare these to the question given..
so clearly (b) is the answer...Hope it helps...:)

Preparing for another shot...

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3887 [0], given: 194

Re: A recent poll of elected officials [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 06:22
Expert's post
nikhil007 wrote:
egmat wrote:

I think this whole explanation relies on the fact That "that" in this sentence acts as a subject.

now to understand this construction I read a good article here learn-how-that-can-help-you-demystify-a-long-sentence-138358.html (Kudos for this BTW.

but the way I see is something like this.

A recent poll of elected officials suggests
Suggest what?
that candidates, when in the midst of a tough campaign, often make statements about an opponent (so "that" is a connector here not a subject.)

that they may not think is true
what kind of statements they make.. answer is that is not true.

now again as I noticed in eg in link of post above "that" where used as a connector combines 2 clauses and where it is subject it touches the noun left to "that" (in the examples cited in the article). I understand that it may be just a case with the examples mentioned in article but not a general rule, however in the context of this sentence problem I felt that "they" is subject and not "that" can you tell me a more elaborate or a mechanical way to make out what is the context of "that" in such tricky sentences as I really get confused in such situations.

Hi nikhil007,

I completely agree with you that the first "that" in the sentence is a connector that joins two clauses. However, the second "that" is a relative pronoun. It is not a connecter that joins the clause "they may not think" with the previous clause. This clause is actually inserted between the Subject "that" and the verb "is" in the original choice. You can see my clause split for this sentence.

Now insertion of clauses between the Subject and the Verb is not uncommon on GMAT SC. Since the second "that", the relative pronoun, refers to its immediately preceding noun plural "statements about an opponent", we need a plural verb to agree in number with the plural Subject. The clause "they may not think" gives us some more information that candidates often make statements that they themselves may not think are true. The information given by the clause adds to the context of the sentence.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 331

Kudos [?]: 73 [1] , given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A recent poll of elected officials suggests that candidates, [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2014, 21:05
This post received
KUDOS
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: A recent poll of elected officials suggests that candidates,   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2014, 21:05