Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 17:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent review of pay scales

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 300

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A recent review of pay scales [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 00:07
friend29 wrote:
targetgmatchotu wrote:
a. that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times
b. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times.
c. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
d. CEo's who now earn on average 419 time more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
e. CEO's now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times

A,D Out as we don't use "Times" and "more than (comparison signals) " simultaneously .

Moreover, B is awkward as colored.

E changes the tense from simple to progressive .

Well that will help !!!

Hai, Wanted to clarify the same. Can we eliminate A and D for the reasons stated here? "Times" and "more than" both are used.

I wanted to clarify bcz i made a 2/3 split using this approach. Thanks in advance.

Surely, the split works .However, I won't recommend the strategy of splits because sometimes the right answer as per individual's choice isn't the correct answer.

Moreover, I would like to recommend the E-gmat strategy of understanding the meaning first.However, I am not the endorser of the same.

Rgds,
TGC

Rgds,
TGC!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 122

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A recent review of pay scales [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2014, 12:43
A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1980

that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times.
Three errors:
Meaning : CEO's earn what - an average of something or money - an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers: nonsensical. {YES/NO}
Idiom : X times more pay than Y , should be X times of Y {YES/NO}
Modifier : blue-collar workers, compared to blah blah... compared is a ed-modifier modifying workers: wrong {YES/NO}

that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times.
Meaning : a ratio that compares to 42 times; ratio 419:1 compares to 42:1 of 1980 .... compares what ? incomplete meaning. {YES/NO}

that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio.
Modifier : the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared .... the pay of xx, as compared to workers pay compared is modifying the pay and this modification is acceptable thus here it is fine.
Absolute phrase : The ratio in 1980 someway modifies the proceeding modifier's object 42:1 in 1980.
Correct sentence.

CEO's who now earn on average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio.
Meaning : A recent review of pay scales indicates NOUN CEO's : wrong
Meaning : CEO's who earn , limiting the scope of meaning to CEO's who earn earn blah blah... original meaning covers all CEO's in GENERAL. {YES/NO}
Meaning : who now earn on average of something or money - an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers: nonsensical. {YES/NO}
Modifier : than blue-collar workers, compared to blah blah... compared is a ed-modifier modifying workers: wrong {YES/NO}

CEO's now (modifier) earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times
Meaning : A recent review of pay scales indicates NOUN CEO's : wrong
Meaning : earning an average of something or money - an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers: nonsensical. {YES/NO}
Modifier: the pay ..., compared (OK) but comparison is not right 419 times the pay != the ratio of 42 times

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: WOULD: when to use?
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 16

Re: A recent review of pay scales [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2014, 03:36
urchin wrote:
A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1990.

a. that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times
b. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times.
c. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
d. CEo's who now earn on average 419 time more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
e. CEO's now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times

I agree choice C is best but
in C "as compared " is a elliptical clause which mofifies the preceding clause and refers to "CEO's" . This make no sense.

logicaly, "as compared to " modifies "419 times". but grammartially, "as compared to" can not modifiy "419 times. there is no pattern of this kind in english grammar

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Re: A recent review of pay scales   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2014, 03:36