Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent review of pay scales

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
A recent review of pay scales [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2009, 11:38
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

34% (01:53) correct 66% (01:03) wrong based on 135 sessions
A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1990.

a. that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times
b. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times.
c. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
d. CEo's who now earn on average 419 time more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
e. CEO's now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: A recent review of pay scales [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2009, 12:54
urchin wrote:
A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1990.

b. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times.
c. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
d. CEo's who now earn on average 419 time more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
e. CEO's now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times

Between A and B, I would go with A.
Actually I prefer to repeat " a ratio" in B than just say "compared to 42 times" in A, but the reason I didn't choose B is because B uses "compares" rather than "compared", I think the passive voice "the ratio is compared" is better than the active voice "the ratio compares" in this case.

http://www.online-stopwatch.com/
http://gmatsentencecorrection.blogspot.com/

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: A recent review of pay scales [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2009, 20:02
Even I'm confused over A and B

B - the ratio still compares...... its not a thing of past ..... that too sentence says 'recent review'

IMO B .... wat do u say ????

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: A recent review of pay scales [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 21:49
Quote:
a) incorrect comparison of pay with blue collar workers
b. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times.42 Times of what? makes an incorrect ratio comparison
c. that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratioCORRECT
d. CEo's who now earn on average 419 time more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio - meaning changed - 419 times more pay is different from 419 times the pay
same reason as D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: A recent review of pay scales [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 20:09
fall2009 wrote:
urchin wrote:

Between A and B, I would go with A.
Actually I prefer to repeat " a ratio" in B than just say "compared to 42 times" in A, but the reason I didn't choose B is because B uses "compares" rather than "compared", I think the passive voice "the ratio is compared" is better than the active voice "the ratio compares" in this case.

I changed my mind. IMO, B is the answer.
A is incorrect because of "more pay than blue collar workers". This means "pay" is compared to "blue collar workers".

http://www.online-stopwatch.com/
http://gmatsentencecorrection.blogspot.com/

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: A recent review of pay scales [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2009, 00:11
urchin wrote:

I think both B and C are imperfect but I kinda like C here. "419 times the pay of....as compared to 42 times their pay". It would be better if it said "as compared to 42 times the pay...", but B is more unclear for me. "a ratio that compares to 42 times, in 1990"? 42 times what?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: A recent review of pay scales [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2009, 05:13
OA is C ..... even I'm convinced now.

'their' in C refers to 'blue collar workers' but at first go 'their' seemed ambiguous.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: A recent review of pay scales [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2009, 05:55
i think oa is B, read it somewhere
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: A recent review of pay scales [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2009, 22:05
Dunno know the source but I had picked it from a paper test and the answer was C.

Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT LGO (Admitted), Harvard (Admitted))
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A recent review of pay scales [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2009, 14:46
I picked B and the copy I had says the answer is C. When I googled the problem, in some forums, the answer is indicated as B.......Anyone?

Dream the impossible and do the incredible.

Live. Love. Laugh.

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: A recent review of pay scales [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2009, 19:23
ANS: C

D, E are out because pay scale indicates CEO is wrong .
It should be indicates a fact that.

A is wrong because 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers
Pay can’t be compared to blue colour worker.

B is awkward.

If the above explanation helps.........

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: A recent review of pay scales [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2009, 22:36
IMO C
I think B is wrong because a ratio cannot "compares" but "be compared".

I am not born to be a GENIUS nor a GMATTER. If you are struggling, we are in the same boat. Fight to the last!!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 47 [1] , given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: A recent review of pay scales [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 02:35
This post received
KUDOS
I saw this question in GPREP and the answer should be C!

On top of what was discussed, C also manifests parallelism in the comparison, i.e. "X times the pay of P, compared to Y times P's pay". Neither A nor B shows this structure.

This one is really tough!
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 188 [1] , given: 6

Re: A recent review of pay scales [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 07:05
This post received
KUDOS
tough question....could get down to B and C...picked (C) because B sounds awkward with...."a ratio that compares....."

d. CEo's who now earn on average 419 time more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio - should be indicates that
e. CEO's now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times - should be indicates that
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 673 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: A recent review of pay scales [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 07:14
In C, what THEIR represents: CEO's or workers?

In B, it is already mentioned the ratio is b/w CEO's and workers is 419 while it is 42 in 1990's. IMO B.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO's now earn [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 07:48
Hi e-gmat,
Could you please help with this one?

Toughest SC Qs that I have ever come across.

Regards,
Sach

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: A recent review of pay scales [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 18:24
carcass wrote:
OA is C

well yeah, but could you please explain why this is correct and why others are wrong?

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1191

Kudos [?]: 3187 [2] , given: 179

Re: A recent review of pay scales [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 09:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,
I received a Pm to respond to this one.

A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEOs now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1990.

According to a recent review, CEOs now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers. The ratio of the same was 42:1 in 1990.

Now let’s look at error of this sentence:
1. Usage of “a ratio of” is incorrect here. It’s ambiguous what does it refer to. Also, it breaks the parallelism between “419 times” and “42 times”. Only the expression “42 times” would have been enough to present the correct comparison.

PoE:

a. that CEOs now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times: Incorrect for the reason stated above.

b. that, on average, CEOs now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times: Incorrect. This choice suggests the ratio compares to 42 times, that is in 42 different times in 1990. This is illogical comparison.

c. that, on average, CEOs now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio: Correct. The parallelism is correctly maintained. “a ratio” correctly modifies “ “42 times their pay”.

d. CEOs who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio: Incorrect. Per this choice, recent reviews indicate “CEOs”.

e. CEOs now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times: Incorrect.
1. Repeats the same error as in choice A.
2. Repeats the same error as in choice D.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: August 03, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 299

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A recent review of pay scales [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 10:01
a. that CEO's now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times

A,D Out as we don't use "Times" and "more than (comparison signals) " simultaneously .

Moreover, B is awkward as colored.

E changes the tense from simple to progressive .

Well that will help !!!

Rgds,
TGC!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 36

Re: A recent review of pay scales [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 21:58
targetgmatchotu wrote:

A,D Out as we don't use "Times" and "more than (comparison signals) " simultaneously .

Moreover, B is awkward as colored.

E changes the tense from simple to progressive .

Well that will help !!!

Hai, Wanted to clarify the same. Can we eliminate A and D for the reasons stated here? "Times" and "more than" both are used.

I wanted to clarify bcz i made a 2/3 split using this approach. Thanks in advance.
Re: A recent review of pay scales   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2013, 21:58