Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 09:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent review of pay scales indicates <<that CEOs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

A recent review of pay scales indicates <[#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2004, 02:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (01:29) correct 17% (00:05) wrong based on 16 sessions
A recent review of pay scales indicates <<that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times>> in 1980.

A. that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times
B. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times
C. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
D. CEO’s who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
E. CEO’s now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2004, 04:14
Initially I went with C but on second thought would choose A
"their" in C is too ambiguous

Don't know why I don't like B, can't explain really
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2004, 09:55
I do like C. I think the referrent of their is clear.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2004, 13:03
OlegC wrote:
Initially I went with C but on second thought would choose A
"their" in C is too ambiguous

Don't know why I don't like B, can't explain really

I will go with C also. In A it says "more pay than blue-collar workers". Pay is compared to workers.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2004, 13:11
I would go with C because of A's unidiomatic "419 times more pay"

Best Regards,

Paul

VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2004, 18:24
Choice C
but I took a long time hesitating with B, and I still don't feel Cwould be a perfect answer but here it's seem the best of the given answers... :roll:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2004, 18:58
B doesn't sound right because of the way it connects to <in 1980> at the end.

Choice B
"...a ratio that compares to 42 times in 1980."

A recent review of pay scales indicates <<that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times>> in 1980.

A. that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times

C. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio

I'm new to this, but I'm going with A.

In C, when it says THEIR, you cannot be sure whether they are talking about blue collar workers or CEO's.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2004, 22:13
B. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times
D. CEO’s who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio

passive 'CEO' is inappropriate here -- so A,B,C,D are out. C and D also have ambiguous pronoun 'their'

E. CEO’s now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times
E is correct.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 613 [0], given: 5

Re: [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 11:49
Expert's post
ywilfred wrote:

passive 'CEO' is inappropriate here -- so A,B,C,D are out. C and D also have ambiguous pronoun 'their'

E is correct.

(E) does not make sense because the sentence leaves you hanging.

"A recent review of pay scales indicates CEOs now earning [X amount], compared to the ratio in 1980..." - this is not correct.

You could say "A recent review of pay scales indicates CEOs now earn [X amount].." - that's OK. But (E) uses "earning" instead of simply "earn" - so (E) is no good.

You can see the explanation for this question here: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... question/7

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 291

Re: Re: [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 06:45
GMATPill wrote:
ywilfred wrote:

E is correct.

(E) does not make sense because the sentence leaves you hanging.

"A recent review of pay scales indicates CEOs now earning [X amount], compared to the ratio in 1980..." - this is not correct.

You could say "A recent review of pay scales indicates CEOs now earn [X amount].." - that's OK. But (E) uses "earning" instead of simply "earn" - so (E) is no good.

You can see the explanation for this question here: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... question/7

Can you please throw some light as to why C is correct and A is not? People keep saying parallelism but I don't seem to get it.
Re: Re:   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2013, 06:45