Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 17:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEOs now earn

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 248 [1] , given: 32

A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEOs now earn [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 07:08
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

44% (02:31) correct 56% (01:19) wrong based on 77 sessions
A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1980.

A. that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times
B. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times
C. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
D. CEO’s who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
E. CEO’s now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 13

Re: pay scales [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 07:15
Baten80 wrote:
A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1980.

A. that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times
B. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times
C. that, on average, CEO’s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
D. CEO’s who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
E. CEO’s now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times

I go with C.
Only option that correctly uses the pay and ratio.
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 16

Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEOs now earn [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 22:29
In C what is "their" referring to

i will go with B

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 38

Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEOs now earn [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 12:36
c

indicates that is correct d,e got cancelled
down to A B C

B has a modifier issue
as compared to better than compared to

hence C

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-06-2013
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 53

Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEOs now earn [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2013, 08:46
IMO B

Its definitely not C because of the usage of "their" which is ambigous

Do not forget to hit the Kudos button on your left if you find my post helpful 8-)

Collection of some good questions on Number System

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEOs now earn [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 03:38
Can someone please explain the options, I am not getting them.. :(
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 40

Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEOs now earn [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 21:25
I like A... but maybe that's because I'm thinking in to this too much.

I narrowed it down to A. and B., but there is a fundamental difference between "Ceos earning an Average of 419 times" and "on average, a CEO earns 419 times" ... which in essence is saying that "the average CEO earns 419 times"....

B. and C. change the noun that "average" modifies and should therefore be eliminated due to a change in meaning..

but maybe I'm reading way too much into that.. I just finished a book on statistical fallacies and that was one of them lol.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEOs now earn [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 21:57
OA pls... D and E are definitely out... C looks gud.... B is changing the meaning... A is soundin gud... Unable to take out any grammatical errors from A,B,C

Experts replhy pls.....
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 1901

Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEOs now earn [#permalink] New post 09 May 2014, 05:23
This post received
KUDOS
According to Ron Purewal, the answer is C.http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/gma ... t1889.html
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 10

Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEOs now earn [#permalink] New post 09 May 2014, 08:37
Really good explanation by ron..

In short here it is:
"compared to a ratio of 42 times" - 'times' cannot be left alone - it has to be times of something..

Also after reading the ron's explanation I realized that 'their' is not really ambiguous because of parallelism
419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay

Good question..
Re: A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEOs now earn   [#permalink] 09 May 2014, 08:37