Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 16:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent study found that snoring, though not common in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A recent study found that snoring, though not common in [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2007, 08:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
A recent study found that snoring, though not common in either group, is more common among smokers than among nonsmokers. On the basis of this evidence, the author hypothesized that smoking by itself can induce snoring.
Which one of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the author’s hypothesis?
(A) Stress induces both snoring and smoking in certain individuals.
(B) Obesity induces many individuals to smoke.
(C) Most snorers do not smoke.
(D) Most smokers do not snore.
(E) Both smoking and snoring cause throat problems.

Please explain your answers. This CR was already posted once but I am not able to convince myself.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: smokers and snorers [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2007, 09:00
eyunni wrote:
A recent study found that snoring, though not common in either group, is more common among smokers than among nonsmokers. On the basis of this evidence, the author hypothesized that smoking by itself can induce snoring.
Which one of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the author’s hypothesis?

Please explain your answers. This CR was already posted once but I am not able to convince myself.

Is it A? Smoking by itself can induce snoring? A says stress induces both snoring and smoking, so stress can cause snoring?

or is this one just too out of scope?

B: almost like A, but doesn't connect obesity to snoring so I say out.
E: throat problems aren't said to cause snoring but snoring and smoking causes throat problems.

CD: I don't see how this adds anything.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: smokers and snorers [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2007, 09:23
eyunni wrote:

Tough choice between C and A, both look lovely.
I went with A for the reason that C is the opposite of what is being said. A points out that stress is the cause, not smoking.
D is not correct because the stem said it snoring is not common and therefore, this is already true.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2007, 09:41
Seems like D to me.
If smoking were tin induce snoring then most smoking would be snoring...
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: smokers and snorers [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2007, 10:01
eyunni wrote:

i get A because if you look what the author hypothesizes "smoking by itself can induce snoring." A says that stress also induce snoring

is this correct to assume?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: smokers and snorers [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2007, 10:23
eyunni wrote:

A - is the right answer. If stress is the cause then weakens the Conclusion
B - Irrelevant
C- Strengthens the Conclusion
D - Irrelevant
E - Irrelevant
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: smokers and snorers [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2007, 13:11
eyunni wrote:

(D) does cast doubt.
Hypothesis: Smoking by itself can induce snoring.
Weaken: Most smokers do not snore.
I don't understand why it is irrelevant or does not add up. Don't you think that if it is true that most smokers do not snore, how can smoking induce snoring???
IMO, (D) is a potential choice and stacks up well against (A).
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: smokers and snorers [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2007, 13:17
eyunni wrote:
eyunni wrote:

(D) does cast doubt.
I don't understand why it is irrelevant or does not add up. Don't you think that if it is true that most smokers do not snore, how can smoking induce snoring???

i do not think D is a good answer because if you look at the beginning snoring is "not common" in general - for smokers and nonsmokers, so D is stating the obvious from what we are given
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
hmm [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2007, 13:23
very tough question. the fact i like b scares me, considering no one else picked it. it does seem that its not apropos of the argument intially but i think it is.

mainly, the argument that smoking is the reason behind the fact more smokers snore than non smokers can best be refuted by showing a relationship between people who smoke and another ailment; such as obesity; that itself might be the reason behind the increased odds of snoring.

B. does that.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
oops [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2007, 13:28
i misread it.

A. does exactly what B does, but without the assumption (connecting obesity to snoring)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: smokers and snorers [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2007, 21:21
eyunni wrote:

It's A. A successfully explains why people smoke and snore by showing a relationship that isn't "Smoking causing Snoring"

B is irrelevant because it makes no claim about the relationship between smoking and snoring.

C and D are immaterial in this argument because it makes no statement about the increased chances of being a smoking snorer

E is irrelevant because it makes no claim about the causality.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: smokers and snorers [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2007, 05:07
beckee529 wrote:
eyunni wrote:
eyunni wrote:

(D) does cast doubt.

i do not think D is a good answer because if you look at the beginning snoring is "not common" in general - for smokers and nonsmokers, so D is stating the obvious from what we are given

That was a very good point. I get it now. Thanks for the clarification.

OA is A.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: smokers and snorers [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2007, 10:12
bkk145 wrote:
eyunni wrote:

Tough choice between C and A, both look lovely.
I went with A for the reason that C is the opposite of what is being said. A points out that stress is the cause, not smoking.
D is not correct because the stem said it snoring is not common and therefore, this is already true.

I got completely stumped on this one. Good explanation.
Re: CR: smokers and snorers   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2007, 10:12