Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5416 [32]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5416 [4]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [2]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Re: A recent study indicates that people who keep their worko [#permalink]
Kudos
A recent study indicates that people who keep their workout records are far more successful at achieving their fitness goals than people who don’t keep track of their workout. Experts believe that many fail to achieve their fitness goals because they burn fewer calories than they intend to burn. One study followed a group of gym-members who reported that they could not achieve their fitness goals when burning 700 calories a day. The study found that the group burned, on average, 60% fewer calories than it claimed. In contrast, when people record their exercises, their actual calories burned more closely matches their reported calories burned.

The two boldface portions in the argument above are best described by which of the following statements?

I think B1 indicates the findings of a study or foundation/premise on which the rest of the argument is built

B2 is an example of how this finding may be right.

A) The first is an example illustrating the truth of a certain theory; the second is a competing theory. - The second is not a theory. Wrong
B) The first is an explanation of why a certain theory is thought to be true; the second is an example of research results that support this theory. The first is not an explanation, but rather a theory by itself. Wrong
C) The first is a conclusion reached by experts; the second is evidence that that conclusion is correct. - Experts did not conclude anything. They do however believe in the first part which is a premise/theory. Wrong.
D) The first introduces a theory that the experts have disproved; the second is the basis for the experts’ argument. - This is the polar opposite of what the experts believe. They do not disprove anything here. Wrong.
E) The first is a premise upon which the experts base their opinion; the second illustrates that their opinion is correct - Correct choice. The first is the backdrop of the argument. The second is a case to prove the experts are correct in believing this idea of keeping track of the calorie count..
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
Not sure but i will go with D.
First states the point and than second is used to disprove the finding as the concluding statement uses the word incontrast....

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 579 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.83
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I am not sure but in my opinion,
Conclusion is many fail to achieve their fitness goals because they burn fewer calories than they intend to burn

The study found that the group burned, on average, 60% fewer calories than it claimed
is the study result which supports the conclusion of the expert.
Quote:
A recent study indicates that people who keep their workout records are far more successful at achieving their fitness goals than people who don’t keep track of their workout. Experts believe that many fail to achieve their fitness goals because they burn fewer calories than they intend to burn. One study followed a group of gym-members who reported that they could not achieve their fitness goals when burning 700 calories a day. The study found that the group burned, on average, 60% fewer calories than it claimed. In contrast, when people record their exercises, their actual calories burned more closely matches their reported calories burned.

The two boldface portions in the argument above are best described by which of the following statements?

A) The first is an example illustrating the truth of a certain theory; the second is a competing theory. Red part is a supporting evidence.
B) The first is an explanation of why a certain theory is thought to be true; the second is an example of research results that support this theory. Which theory?
C) The first is a conclusion reached by experts; the second is evidence that that conclusion is correct. First one is an evidence.
D) The first introduces a theory that the experts have disproved; the second is the basis for the experts’ argument. Experts supports the first bold part.
E) The first is a premise upon which the experts base their opinion; the second illustrates that their opinion is correct. BINGO

Correct me if i am wrong

Regards
Atal pandit
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM

A study proposes something,while experts BELIEVED in LINE with what study proposes.

Further, one example is quoted in green.One most important point in this example is that we don't know whether this GROUP recorded its goals or not.However, when we read the sentence in RED the keyword "In Contrast" makes it clear that the group mentioned in the example didn't record their track of exercising.

A) The first is an example illustrating the truth of a certain theory; the second is a competing theory. Second doesn't compete FIRST
B) The first is an explanation of why a certain theory is thought to be true; the second is an example of research results that support this theory. Correct !!!!
C) The first is a conclusion reached by experts; the second is evidence that that conclusion is correct. First is not conclusion reached by experts,they just believed in the theory doesn't mean that they have reached a conclusion.
D) The first introduces a theory that the experts have disproved; the second is the basis for the experts’ argument. EXPERTS are in-line with the FIRST
E) The first is a premise upon which the experts base their opinion; the second illustrates that their opinion is correct.
FIRST is not a PREMISE it is a BELIEF of which we have to base our opinion that we are with that BELIEF or against it.

So (B). it is !!

Plz Correct me if I am deviating somewhere.

Rgds,
TGC !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Send PM
For me its D. The argument its contrasting two different studies. whats the OA?

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM