Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Dec 2014, 19:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 191 [1] , given: 0

A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2004, 13:50
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to predicted results, special nutritional planning does not positively affect students’ grades. Sixty students, half of whom were given a nutritionally balanced diet, had grades no higher than did those students who were not placed on the diet plan.

Which of the following, if true, is most useful in determining the accuracy of the study described above?
A) Performance of business executives was shown to improve drastically after major alterations were made in their diets.
B) Honors students, after altering their diets, maintained that they did not change their study habits.
C) Students who participated in various fitness regimens found that their grades improved appreciably after they altered their exercise habits.
D) High school students who previously had low grades found that after they altered their diets, their grades improved dramatically.
E) All of the college students who volunteered for the study were either in their first or second year of college.

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2004, 14:42
E???? Very unsure :?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2004, 18:46
this is tough!

I will go with C. It could have happened that other students (minus 60) took physical fitness classes and raised their grades to those of 60 students (on balanced diet)

weird though!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2004, 07:23
I believe it is (B).

Only (B) connects the habits in study and habits in diets. All other choices talk about students or executives in general . They dont talk about students who participated in the study. Only (B) talks about students who participated in the study.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2004, 10:10
I shortlisted B and E. E because it identifies the sample space used for the study and since the sample space is the appropriate group, the study should be accurate.

B because, it makes reference to a potentially superior group (honor students) and identifies that even that group had no impact because of the diet. But makes me ask this question, if it doesnt impact 'honor students' does it mean that it can be applicable to the other student group. Hmm...need not be. Also, 'honor students' should do well anyway irrespective of diet. Afterall they are 'honor students'!!

Hence E.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2004, 09:09
This one is from PR CAT so for those who say that PR verbal is easy, not always :) OA is D and I picked B at first but I agree with the answer although the OE is not quite good. The question is about how to evaluate the accuracy of the given claims; that the diet does not improve students' grades. D directly contradicts the claim by saying that the diet DID improve students' grades. Therefore, it will allow us to conclude that NO, the claim is unaccurate. B is out of scope for we are not interested in honor students in particular. In E, the claim did not segregate between first and second year students so we don't need to know specific segregation of sample. This is actually out of scope. C is out of scope because exercise will not allow us to evaluate the link between good grades and diets.

Best Regards,

Paul

SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2004, 16:38
I got D. I thought this question is straight forward. May be it was accidently I arrived at the answer.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Diet plan [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2008, 22:07
friends... that´s a tough one ... anyone has a grasp about the OA ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 1

Re: CR Diet plan [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2008, 23:03
domleon wrote:
friends... that´s a tough one ... anyone has a grasp about the OA ?

I got D as well. It's straight forward. What the question is asking you to find a situation that could question the results of the survey, D clearly does this by showing the opposite actually occured. If the opposite did not occur then the argument would not be called into question and accepted as true. The best way of approaching this I think is to find the conclusion and select the answer that attacks it by proving the opposite.

The other answers are either out of scope e.g. A or have no direct bearing on the argument.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: CR Diet plan [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2008, 00:03
It has to be D.

Its the only one the directly confronts the conclusion in the argument, and hence the most relevant.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Diet plan [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2008, 12:41
D

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Diet plan [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2008, 16:00
Vavali, I didn't get ur explanation.. They are asking you for the statement that is more accurate to support the argument thats what i understood from the question :S
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Diet plan [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2008, 16:10
I think this is pretty straight forward with D being the answer. If anything you can arrive to the answer by a process of elimination
A - Business executives vs college student. performance vs grades - different animal alltogether
B - Diets vs study habits when the study is comparing diets to grades - bad comparison
C - Tricky but keep in mind we are talking about nutritional habits (i.e. diets) NOT exercise habits
D - Low grades - improved diets - better grades --- similar to the college students study. This is the only relevant point of comparison where one can make a determination (in either direction, its irellevant in this case) as to how good the study of diets vs grades is.
E - the students were first or second years - Oh yeah? So what :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Diet plan [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2008, 18:36
This is gotta D. What's the OA, Paul?
Re: CR Diet plan   [#permalink] 02 Jun 2008, 18:36