Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 20:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 07:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to predicted results, special nutritional planning does not positively affect students’ grades. Sixty students, half of whom were given a nutritionally balanced diet, had grades no higher than did those students who were not placed on the diet plan.

Which of the following, if true, is most useful in determining the accuracy of the study described above?

Performance of business executives was shown to improve drastically after major alterations were made in their diets.

Honors students, after altering their diets, maintained that they did not change their study habits.

Students who participated in various fitness regimens found that their grades improved appreciably after they altered their exercise habits.

High school students who previously had low grades found that after they altered their diets, their grades improved dramatically.

All of the college students who volunteered for the study were either in their first or second year of college.

==============================================
Do not answer without sharing the reasoning behind ur choice
-----------------------------------------------------------
Working on my weakness : GMAT Verbal
------------------------------------------------------------
Ask:
Why, What, How, When, Where, Who

Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 92

GMAT Tests User
Re: special nutritional planning [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 08:48
E?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: special nutritional planning [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 10:08
The argument talks about the effect of nutritional values on the grades...D is the only choice which talks about both grades and nutritional values....Various interpretations can be given of the same performance of the original group of 60 people mentioned in the argument....For example there grades may already be very high and further hike was not possible......So IMO D is the answer....

Choose Life

Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: special nutritional planning [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 21:53
D only seems to refer to the context.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: special nutritional planning [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 00:59
mbaMission wrote:
A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to predicted results, special nutritional planning does not positively affect students’ grades. Sixty students, half of whom were given a nutritionally balanced diet, had grades no higher than did those students who were not placed on the diet plan.

Which of the following, if true, is most useful in determining the accuracy of the study described above?

Performance of business executives was shown to improve drastically after major alterations were made in their diets.

Honors students, after altering their diets, maintained that they did not change their study habits.

Students who participated in various fitness regimens found that their grades improved appreciably after they altered their exercise habits.

High school students who previously had low grades found that after they altered their diets, their grades improved dramatically.

All of the college students who volunteered for the study were either in their first or second year of college.

OA: D

Do not answer without sharing the reasoning behind ur choice
-----------------------------------------------------------
Working on my weakness : GMAT Verbal
------------------------------------------------------------
Ask:
Why, What, How, When, Where, Who

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: special nutritional planning [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 11:27
my reasoning.. :zoom

On paraphrasing, the reflex would be to verify if the study was conducted correctly.
But no choice except B does that, which is out of scope as it talks about honors students, while the study was conducted on college students.
Hence, checking out other options...
Choice D disagrees with the study by asserting that diet does alter grades based on a study on high school 'students'. This helps in determining the accuracy(lower) of the study. Also, this is not out of scope because the q stem generalizes the diet effects on student's grades in general.
Hence D, the best option.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: special nutritional planning [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 11:49
Why B is wrong?

I feel B is stronger than D.

Manager
Manager

Re: special nutritional planning [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 12:10
sudeep wrote:
Why B is wrong?

I feel B is stronger than D.

honors students not changing their study habits(not grades) has nothing to do with the study on college students.
May be if it said the same about the 30 college students(with changed diet) instead of honors students, it could be right.
As it is B is out of scope and irrelevant.

are we in peace :?: :?:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 179 [1] , given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: special nutritional planning [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 12:42
This post received
KUDOS
What is OA and OE?
Also, please mention the source.

IMO:

Honor students are those who have high grades/achievement in the class.
What I Understand from B :

Honor students, who have altered their diets => (It means that they are among the college students on which the research has been done)

These Honor Students, who have altered their diets, didn't change their study habits and haven't scored better on average than other students, especially other honor students
The higher score of Honors students would had been the case if the research had been correct to say that the students who have altered their diet outperform others)
==> IMO it implies that study habits is important in improving the grade/performance as shown in the study of honor students and supports the research conclusion that nutritional diet doesn't affect the grades.

As said above, Comparison of two honor students is important here, for it implies that the nutritional effect doesn't work on honor students as they do not change their study habits.
This could be the reason for the other students too.

So, IMO, B is considering subset of students to prove that study is in fact accurate.

Manager
Manager

Re: special nutritional planning [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 13:19
i get wat ur saying..thats very valid

only defense is ..i dont think you can assume that honors students is subset of college students..even if it were true.

OA is D.
Searched this question after getting it in the PR test I gave yesterday..felt it worth discussing.
I chose B there too :wink:
Re: special nutritional planning   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2009, 13:19