Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 20:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to [#permalink] New post 15 May 2010, 00:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (02:42) correct 56% (01:38) wrong based on 110 sessions
A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to predicted results, special nutritional planning does not positively affect students’ grades. Sixty students, half of whom were given a nutritionally balanced diet, had grades no higher than did those students who were not placed on the diet plan.

Which of the following, if true, is most useful in determining the accuracy of the study described above?

A. Performance of business executives was shown to improve drastically after major alterations were made in their diets.

B. Honors students, after altering their diets, maintained that they did not change their study habits.

C. Students who participated in various fitness regimens found that their grades improved appreciably after they altered their exercise habits.

D. High school students who previously had low grades found that after they altered their diets, their grades improved dramatically.

E. All of the college students who volunteered for the study were either in their first or second year of college.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to [#permalink] New post 15 May 2010, 01:07
angel2009 wrote:
A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to predicted results, special nutritional planning does not positively affect students’ grades. Sixty students, half of whom were given a nutritionally balanced diet, had grades no higher than did those students who were not placed on the diet plan.

Which of the following, if true, is most useful in determining the accuracy of the study described above?

Performance of business executives was shown to improve drastically after major alterations were made in their diets.>>> Out of scope

Honors students, after altering their diets, maintained that they did not change their study habits.>>> So, diets individually have not affected the performance >>> Also there is no information about the performance of honor students

Students who participated in various fitness regimens found that their grades improved appreciably after they altered their exercise habits.>>> diets individually have not affected the performance

High school students who previously had low grades found that after they altered their diets, their grades improved dramatically. >>> CORRECT

All of the college students who volunteered for the study were either in their first or second year of college.>>> Out of scope
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to [#permalink] New post 15 May 2010, 04:31
I've some thoughts in this.
Here the conclusion is Changing diet didn't improve performance.
Now if someone earlier studied 9 hour and after changing the diets studied 4 hours then his performance might not be improved and we can't conclude that diet change doesn't work.
Now even after maintaining same study habit etc if performance doesn't improve then we can confirm the conclusion.
I analyzed in this way and picked B.
Correct me if I'm wrong
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 711 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to [#permalink] New post 15 May 2010, 04:47
This post was
BOOKMARKED
angel,

how about another reason - Some students were extremely poor in studies and received lower grades. But when they changed their diet, their grades impreoved.

Now, back to the question:
1. B4 the experiment, results were predicted.
2. After exp, it was shown that nutritional planning does not positively affect students’ grades.
3. Grades (30 std on nutri planning) ~= Grades (30 std not on nutri planning)

The main point here is b/w nutrixn planning and grades. So, choices dealing with this relationship will be of our concern. This is what stated in D.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 711 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to [#permalink] New post 15 May 2010, 04:51
Please see my comments below.

angel2009 wrote:
I've some thoughts in this.
Here the conclusion is Changing diet didn't improve performance.
Now if someone earlier studied 9 hour and after changing the diets studied 4 hours then his performance might not be improved and we can't conclude that diet change doesn't work. - What if they were doing some research and now after the diet planning, they were on documentation work. B clearly says no change in study habits.Now even after maintaining same study habit etc if performance doesn't improve then we can confirm the conclusion.
I analyzed in this way and picked B.
Correct me if I'm wrong

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2010, 04:03
I am not sure if the wording of the question is appropriate. I chose D as well - but the other choices were mostly out of scope or irrelevant and only D seemed to have some connection with the stem. But the question is asking a choice that helps in determining its accuracy. Choice D only restates what's expected - but I would reckon that in order to verify accuracy - you need to find out some explanation about whether what's being stated is reasonable or not...D offers nothing extra apart from confirming what one would expect...i can't see how it verifies the accuracy...at best D is a strengthening choice.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

Re: A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2010, 05:13
D ...

Guess Someone tried to make a question similar to the question, where half the Rats are feeded some kinda food and some x chemical increases.

To evaluate : we need to make sure that all the rats had same amount of x chemical before the exp.

:idea: :o

R E S P E C T

Finally KISSedGMAT 700 times 450 to 700 An exprience

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 03:47
D

consider cudos if you like my post

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 6

Re: A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 10:09
D for me.

But the wording of the question was awkward and weird.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2014, 02:52
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2014, 02:52