Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 00:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent survey found that more computers than copies of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

A recent survey found that more computers than copies of [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2005, 18:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
A recent survey found that more computers than copies of computer programs were purchased by Germans last year. The best interpretation of this finding is that the practice of illegally duplicating commercial computer programs is widespread among Germans.
Each of the following, if true, would counter some reasonable objection to the interpretation advanced above EXCEPT:

(A) Few German computer users write their own computer programs.
(B) There are few free noncommercial computer programs available in Germany.
(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such purchases were counted in the survey.
(D) The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on his or her computer.
(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such duplicates were counted as purchased copies in the survey.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 09:05
OA is C...can anyone help with the explanation?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 09:17
this one is tricky. even reading question take more than 2 minute.

I picked C. \

my rationale is that if computers were purchased outside of Germnay but counted in the survey, then it is possible that these overseas purchase might include softwares. Yet since only the computer are counted for sure, these buyers of overseas computers might have purchased legal software that are not counted.

E actually strengthen the argument. people are allowed to make legal copy but these copies are counted as purchase. Then the actual purchase is actually lower than the stated number--more illegal copying is going on.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 09:18
patrickpui wrote:
this one is tricky. even reading question take more than 2 minute.

I picked C. \

my rationale is that if computers were purchased outside of Germnay but counted in the survey, then it is possible that these overseas purchase might include softwares. Yet since only the computer are counted for sure, these buyers of overseas computers might have purchased legal software that are not counted.

E actually strengthen the argument. people are allowed to make legal copy but these copies are counted as purchase. Then the actual purchase is actually lower than the stated number--more illegal copying is going on.

by the way, even C is somewhat of a weak answer. Nonetheless, this is an except question and whatever is the exception is the key.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 09:41
I think E counters the argument since it says that germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs.How can you assume that the actual purchase is actually lower than the stated number?

I don´t know how to attack these kinds of questions,I think assuming too much is not the right approach.Any comments?
  [#permalink] 10 Jan 2005, 09:41