Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 05:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent survey found that more computers than copies of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [2] , given: 10

A recent survey found that more computers than copies of [#permalink] New post 15 May 2012, 12:54
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

31% (02:42) correct 69% (02:01) wrong based on 298 sessions
This question has been posted on this forum before but I am sure discussion on that post is wrong (unable to post link here sorry) and I dont feel the OA is right. Hence, I'm posting it again. Plz help.

A recent survey found that more computers than copies of computer programs were purchased by
Germans last year. The best interpretation of this finding is that the practice of illegally duplicating
commercial computer programs is widespread among Germans.

Each of the following, if true, would counter some reasonable objection to the interpretation advanced
above EXCEPT:
(A) Few German computer users write their own computer programs.
(B) There are few free noncommercial computer programs available in Germany.
(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such
purchases were counted in the survey.
(D) The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on
his or her computer.
(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such
duplicates were counted as purchased copies in the survey.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: German computer vs program usage [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 11:34
IMO the answer is D because this option doesn't make the statement weak.

Please explain if I am wrong.

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Expert Post
8 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 693 [8] , given: 6

Re: German computer vs program usage [#permalink] New post 26 May 2012, 08:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
eYsYs wrote:
A recent survey found that more computers than copies of computer programs were purchased by
Germans last year. The best interpretation of this finding is that the practice of illegally duplicating

Each of the following, if true, would counter some reasonable objection to the interpretation advanced
above EXCEPT:
(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such
(D) The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on
his or her computer.
(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such

Answer is (C)

Argument: Illegal duplication is widespread
Assumption: More computers than programs purchased

So what's going on here? There is a gap between # of computers purchased and # of computer programs purchased. Visualize this.

What explains the gap?

The author is suggesting a possible reason for the gap - illegal duplication is widespread in germany. Since more computers and not enough programs, he's guessing that the computer programs are copied illegally in order to match the # of computers purchased.

A concrete example - if 100 computers are purchased and only 20 computer programs are purchased...i'm guessing the author is assuming the ratio should be more 1:1, so in order to get that, the remaining 80 computer programs must have been duplicated illegally.

OK..now that we understand that...

What does the question say? "Would counter a reasonable objection advanced above EXCEPT"

Ok, so there is an objection (negation), then we are countering that negation. So 2 negatives equal a positive. Four of the answer choices will support our existing argument...ONE will NOT.

Four will help explain or support why there is illegal duplication.

Well, this helps explain the gap. If few german computers write their own computer programs...this thinking can lead to the conclusion that since they don't write their own programs, they COPY them. So this is in support of our "illegal duplication" argument.

If there are not that many free programs, then everything cost money. As a result, ppl can still COPY.

C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such

Well, if computers are purchased outside of Germany, then maybe that's why there is an inflated number for the number of computers purchased. It's possible that there is NO illegal copying if our number for the # of computers purchased is inflated. The actual # of computers purchased IN germany might actually be lower and closer to the # of computer programs purchased...this would lead to the conclusion that there is NO copying going on. This is AGAINST our argument...this is the answer (C).

his or her computer.
If each computer has more than 1 computer program...but the # of computer programs purchased suggests that figure is much lower than 1...then the remainder might have come from pirating! This supports our argument that COPYING exists.

If there are legal duplicates and they are counted as "purchased copies"...well we are still significantly lower! If the ones that are purchased are already duplicates (!), then what about the rest of the gap? This one also might suggest that duplicating of the illegal kind might still be the culprit here.

Hope that lengthy explanation is helpful!

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A recent survey found that more computers than copies of [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 19:37
I would like to discuss the question stem here
above EXCEPT:

Each weakens EXCEPT:

(C) indeed weakens the argument as the above post rightly said, then how it could be the answer even.

Plz advice !

Rgds,
TGC!

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 73 [2] , given: 3

Re: A recent survey found that more computers than copies of [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 20:05
This post received
KUDOS
Hello,

Let us understand the question stem bit by bit.

"objection to the interpretation" implies against the interpretation or weakens the interpretation.

"counter some objection" implies that the statement provides some explanation against any weakness in the interpretation i.e the statement supports the argument/interpretation.

So, the question mentions that all statements support the interpretation in some way except one statement. This statement weakens the argument. Since, C weakens the argument, it is the right answer.

Hope this helps!

targetgmatchotu wrote:
I would like to discuss the question stem here
above EXCEPT:

Each weakens EXCEPT:

(C) indeed weakens the argument as the above post rightly said, then how it could be the answer even.

Plz advice !

Thanks
Kris
Instructor at Aspire4GMAT

Visit us at http://www.aspire4gmat.com

Post your queries
Join our free GMAT course

New blog: How to get that 700+
New blog: Data Sufficiency Tricks

Press Kudos if this helps!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Tuck '16 (S)
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V26
GMAT 2: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 45

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: German computer vs program usage [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 23:18
how the objection in option ( D )is justifiable ?

My explanation is as under

There is world "widespread" used in the argument.

Explanation as given in (D) suggests that there are only few computer which are using far more pirated program on there computers. It , further , means that the piracy is not wide spread but is limited only to few computer on which a large number of programs are installed.

thus, option( D ) proves to be valid objection as it negates the claim that "duplicating
commercial computer programs is
widespread"
Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 318

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: A recent survey found that more computers than copies of [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 19:01
eYsYs wrote:
This question has been posted on this forum before but I am sure discussion on that post is wrong (unable to post link here sorry) and I dont feel the OA is right. Hence, I'm posting it again. Plz help.

above EXCEPT:
his or her computer.

Down to (C) and (E)
Though I selected (C)..But still din't have a very good reason to Choose (C) over (E)..Can someone please explain it in detail..Thanks in Advance...:)
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 81

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A recent survey found that more computers than copies of [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2014, 10:10
This post received
KUDOS
akankshasoneja wrote:
eYsYs wrote:

above EXCEPT:
his or her computer.

Down to (C) and (E)
Though I selected (C)..But still din't have a very good reason to Choose (C) over (E)..Can someone please explain it in detail..Thanks in Advance...:)

I chose C because it talks of computers purchased out of GERMANY. Did you notice? 'GERMANY'. This country is nowhere mentioned in the argument. Sure the stimulus talks about Germans but that doesn't mean anything done by Germans outside of Germany shouldn't be accounted for. I cross checked with the stimulus twice to see if there's any mention of Germany or not. Couldn't find any! so went with C.

Remember the question stem says strengthens the argument EXCEPT. So anything that weakens or leaves the argument unaffected is the answer.

According to me option C leaves the argument unaffected. Hence, I chose C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 58

CAT Tests
Re: A recent survey found that more computers than copies of [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2014, 05:30
GMATPill wrote:
eYsYs wrote:

above EXCEPT:
his or her computer.

Answer is (C)

Argument: Illegal duplication is widespread
Assumption: More computers than programs purchased

So what's going on here? There is a gap between # of computers purchased and # of computer programs purchased. Visualize this.

What explains the gap?

The author is suggesting a possible reason for the gap - illegal duplication is widespread in germany. Since more computers and not enough programs, he's guessing that the computer programs are copied illegally in order to match the # of computers purchased.

A concrete example - if 100 computers are purchased and only 20 computer programs are purchased...i'm guessing the author is assuming the ratio should be more 1:1, so in order to get that, the remaining 80 computer programs must have been duplicated illegally.

OK..now that we understand that...

What does the question say? "Would counter a reasonable objection advanced above EXCEPT"

Ok, so there is an objection (negation), then we are countering that negation. So 2 negatives equal a positive. Four of the answer choices will support our existing argument...ONE will NOT.

Four will help explain or support why there is illegal duplication.

Well, this helps explain the gap. If few german computers write their own computer programs...this thinking can lead to the conclusion that since they don't write their own programs, they COPY them. So this is in support of our "illegal duplication" argument.

If there are not that many free programs, then everything cost money. As a result, ppl can still COPY.

C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such

Well, if computers are purchased outside of Germany, then maybe that's why there is an inflated number for the number of computers purchased. It's possible that there is NO illegal copying if our number for the # of computers purchased is inflated. The actual # of computers purchased IN germany might actually be lower and closer to the # of computer programs purchased...this would lead to the conclusion that there is NO copying going on. This is AGAINST our argument...this is the answer (C).

his or her computer.
If each computer has more than 1 computer program...but the # of computer programs purchased suggests that figure is much lower than 1...then the remainder might have come from pirating! This supports our argument that COPYING exists.

If there are legal duplicates and they are counted as "purchased copies"...well we are still significantly lower! If the ones that are purchased are already duplicates (!), then what about the rest of the gap? This one also might suggest that duplicating of the illegal kind might still be the culprit here.

Hope that lengthy explanation is helpful!

So here we are assuming that computers not bought in Germany either come with software, or don't get software installed on them?
There is something missing here because at the end of the day, there are more computers than computer programs in germany...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A recent survey found that more computers than copies of [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2014, 06:19
E strenthens !

EX: there were 100 copies in germany ...but half of them were actually legally copied commercial computer programs.... so the actual number of copies should be 50

aks456 wrote:
eYsYs wrote:

above EXCEPT:
his or her computer.

Down to (C) and (E)
Re: A recent survey found that more computers than copies of   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2014, 06:19