Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 18:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent survey found that more computers than copies of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 6

A recent survey found that more computers than copies of [#permalink] New post 11 May 2009, 19:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
A recent survey found that more computers than copies of computer programs were purchased by Germans last year. The best interpretation of this finding is that the practice of illegally duplicating commercial computer programs is widespread among Germans.
Each of the following, if true, would counter some reasonable objection to the interpretation advanced above EXCEPT:
(A) Few German computer users write their own computer programs.
(B) There are few free noncommercial computer programs available in Germany.
(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such purchases were counted in the survey.
(D) The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on his or her computer.
(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such duplicates were counted as purchased copies in the survey.

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 6

Re: CR: Illegal Copies [#permalink] New post 11 May 2009, 19:53
The answer is D

(A) states that the very few Germans write their own program, so this reinforces the argument
(B) states that free alternatives to purchasing software are scarce, so this also reinforces the argument
(C) just tells us that the number of computers purchased by Germans were quite comprehensively counted.
(E) makes the case that even when you count legal duplicates, software purchases lag behind computer purchases, further reinforcing the argument

(D) implies that because so much software comes pre-installed, there may not be a need to purchase software once the computer is bought.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 5

Re: CR: Illegal Copies [#permalink] New post 11 May 2009, 22:15
Agree with D
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Illegal Copies [#permalink] New post 12 May 2009, 16:42
got D

tricky question because we actually are asked to strengthen the argument
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 5

Re: CR: Illegal Copies [#permalink] New post 14 May 2009, 09:56
This is very confusing. Btween D and E, I went with E.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: CR: Illegal Copies [#permalink] New post 14 May 2009, 10:12
IMO D
BTW... Whats the OA
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Illegal Copies [#permalink] New post 16 May 2009, 23:57
xenok wrote:
The answer is D

(A) states that the very few Germans write their own program, so this reinforces the argument
(B) states that free alternatives to purchasing software are scarce, so this also reinforces the argument
(C) just tells us that the number of computers purchased by Germans were quite comprehensively counted.
(E) makes the case that even when you count legal duplicates, software purchases lag behind computer purchases, further reinforcing the argument

(D) implies that because so much software comes pre-installed, there may not be a need to purchase software once the computer is bought.

IMO C

Premise is that there is mismatch in the number of computers and number of software bought by Germans.
C clearly states that some computers bought outside were also counted in the survey.

D no where states that many software were pre installed. It may be the case that the user installed them illegally after the purchase.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: CR: Illegal Copies [#permalink] New post 17 May 2009, 00:19
bigfernhead wrote:
This is very confusing. Btween D and E, I went with E.

E too, this is A strenthen EXCEPT question.

E says the error in the survey, so E weakens the argument

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 6

Re: CR: Illegal Copies [#permalink] New post 17 May 2009, 11:53
OA is C.

My explanation:
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
A recent survey found that more computers than copies of computer programs were purchased by Germans last year. The best interpretation of this finding is that the practice of illegally duplicating commercial computer programs is widespread among Germans.
Each of the following, if true, would counter some reasonable objection to the interpretation advanced above EXCEPT:

Main interpretation is "practice of illegally duplicating commercial computer programs is widespread among Germans"
Objection of interpretation : practice of illegally duplicating commercial computer programs is NOT widespread among Germans
counter the Objection of interpretation : practice of illegally duplicating commercial computer programs is widespread among Germans.
counter the Objection of interpretation EXCEPT: practice of illegally duplicating commercial computer programs is NOT widespread among Germans.

(A) Few German computer users write their own computer programs.
-- So others do forge-- Not an Objection
(B) There are few free noncommercial computer programs available in Germany.
-- So all other non-free programs are pirated -- Not an Objection
(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such purchases were counted in the survey.
-- Some m/cs are purchased from outside so cumulative comparison is erroneous -- Objection
(D) The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on his or her computer.
-- How it will be possible if there is less purchase of commercial programs? --- Not an Objection
(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such duplicates were counted as purchased copies in the survey.
-- After legalizing those duplicates, still the total count is less? so they must copy illegally -- Not an Objection

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 11

Re: CR: Illegal Copies [#permalink] New post 18 May 2009, 07:38
Can someone please explain me this in detail why C is correct?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 3

Re: CR: Illegal Copies [#permalink] New post 18 May 2009, 07:57
This post received
KUDOS
This was a tough question.. what is the source of these questions..

Here goes the explanation.,

The Question stem asks us to find which of following statements donot counter the objection to the conclusion i.e donot strengthen..

1 ) As few computers use their own programs, most of the other use commercial programs. --> strengthens..

if the sentence was many computers -> then it weakens.

2) As few non commercial programs are avialable, most of the other are commercial programs - > strengthens..
if the option used many .. then it will weaken

3) correct answer.. It says some of the computers were bought outside the country but counted in the survery.
So actually less number of computers were bought --> weakens.. ie donot strengthen.. correct answer

4) If one German computer has several commercial programs, then the sale of the programs shud be more -> strengthens

5) though the legal copies are counted towards purchase,
i.e the sale of the commercial programs is even less ---> strengthens..

Hope my explanation is clear.. let me know if something isnt clear..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 11

Re: CR: Illegal Copies [#permalink] New post 20 May 2009, 08:03
Thanks for the detailed explanation!!
Neochronic wrote:
This was a tough question.. what is the source of these questions..

Here goes the explanation.,

The Question stem asks us to find which of following statements donot counter the objection to the conclusion i.e donot strengthen..

1 ) As few computers use their own programs, most of the other use commercial programs. --> strengthens..

if the sentence was many computers -> then it weakens.

2) As few non commercial programs are avialable, most of the other are commercial programs - > strengthens..
if the option used many .. then it will weaken

3) correct answer.. It says some of the computers were bought outside the country but counted in the survery.
So actually less number of computers were bought --> weakens.. ie donot strengthen.. correct answer

4) If one German computer has several commercial programs, then the sale of the programs shud be more -> strengthens

5) though the legal copies are counted towards purchase,
i.e the sale of the commercial programs is even less ---> strengthens..

Hope my explanation is clear.. let me know if something isnt clear..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Illegal Copies [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 10:58
I'm with C as it indicates that the numbers are skewed because of including the computers bought outside germany.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: Illegal Copies [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 07:42
I'll vote for D...Even though the germans have not bought the computer programs, they are present in the german computers.This shows that they must have been illelegally copied..

Choose Life

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Illegal Copies [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 11:44
What is the source of this question..?

I thought very hard on this question. To me, E seems the answer. We must pay attention that this quqeston is asking - "Which of these all weaken the argument EXCEPT"?

Any takers?
Re: CR: Illegal Copies   [#permalink] 14 Jun 2009, 11:44