Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [221]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [65]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [38]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [12]
Send PM
Re: A recent survey found that more computers than copies of computer prog [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Fact: More computers purchased than computer programs purchased.
Conclusion: Germans been duplicating computer programs illegally.

Reasonable objections/explanations to the fact can be:

1. Some Germans write their own program so need to buy pcs but not programs.
2. Some Germans use free programs instead of buying commercial programs.
3. Some Germans don't keep any program in their pcs.
4. Some Germans may have copied the programs legally.

(A) Few German computer users write their own
computer programs.
Counter 1.

(B) There are few free noncommercial computer
programs available in Germany.
Counter 2.

(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of
Germany for use in Germany, and such
purchases were counted in the survey.
No use. If it was about computer programs purchased outside of Germany instead of pcs, then it would be useful.

(D) The typical German computer user has several
commercially written computer programs on
his or her computer.
Counter 3.

(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of
commercial computer programs, but such
duplicates were counted as purchased copies in
the survey.
Counter 4.

My choice would be C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Send PM
Re: Paper CR3 Test 42 [#permalink]
If i understand correctly, the question is asking which choice would provide a reason for increase in piracy..and not counter it..

(A) Few German computer users write their own computer programs. [counters piracy in a way, so not an objection]
(B) There are few free noncommercial computer programs available in Germany.
[counters piracy in a way, so not an objection]
(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such purchases were counted in the survey.
(D) The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on his or her computer.
(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such
[this is legal duplication, so not an objection]

So it leaves us with C or D. I think C is a stronger choice between the two since if there are several software applications on each computer, and more computers than software applications were purchased, it does indicate piracy. I could not find a reason for D to counter a claim that there was no piracy.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [1]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
C

A recent survey found that more computers than copies of computer programs were purchased by Germans last year. The best interpretation of this finding is that the practice of illegally duplicating commercial computer programs is widespread among Germans.

Assumption 1: There is other reason that Germans purchased fewer number of computer programs.

Each of the following, if true, would counter some reasonable objection to the interpretation advanced above EXCEPT:

(A) Few German computer users write their own computer programs. - out
(B) There are few free noncommercial computer programs available in Germany.- people may not use these programs.
(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such purchases were counted in the survey. - a good one. But Germans may also purchase programs outside of Germany for use in Germany.
(D) The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on his or her computer. - it slightly strengthens argument.
(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such duplicates were counted as purchased copies in the survey. - it slightly strengthens argument.

Tricky. I corrected my answer.

+1 for q
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [3]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
C..

Interpretation: Germans illegally copy

We need to find an answer which doesn't support the above interpretation

(A) Few German computer users write their own computer programs. - Since only few users write their own prgrams, most others will have to buy computer programs but the records show otherwise (not many purchases). This supports interpretation

(B) There are few free noncommercial computer programs available in Germany. - so, free s/ws not much readily available. They will have to buy. This too supports the interpretation

(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such purchases were counted in the survey. - But what about programs?

(D) The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on his or her computer. - but the purchase records show otherwise. Survey not flawed

(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such duplicates were counted as purchased copies in the survey. - So survey took care of legal copies - survey not flawed
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 902 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
A recent survey found that more computers than copies of computer programs were purchased by Germans last year. The best interpretation of this finding is that the practice of illegally duplicating commercial computer programs is widespread among Germans.
Each of the following, if true, would counter some reasonable objection to the interpretation advanced above EXCEPT:
(A) Few German computer users write their own computer programs.
(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such purchases were counted in the survey.
(D) The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on his or her computer.
(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such duplicates were counted as purchased copies in the survey.

Question is asking to pick a choice that doesn't object to the argument. This means the choices except the correct answer reveal reasons of sale of fewer computers than the computer programs other than the piracy.

A. This is seen as an objection to the argument. If few German computer users write their own programs, then they don't need to buy the computer program. So the number of computers sold will be more than the computer programs.
B. This is seen as an objection to the argument. In the argument, author talks about the computer programs. Thease may be non commercial as well as commercial. If a few non commnercial programs are available for free, some Germans will not buy these programs.

C. This is NOT an objection to the argument because it does not cite any reason of sale of fewer computers than the programs.
D. This is seen as an objection to the argument. If typical German computer has many programs written on it, all German may not buy the programs.
E.This is seen as an objection to the argument. Making of legal copies may bring down the sale of computer programs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [4]
Send PM
Re: A recent survey found that more computers than copies of computer prog [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
spiridon wrote:

(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such duplicates were counted as purchased copies in the survey.

Alright, guess I'm up.

So, basically the argument in the passage is that since people are buying computers more than they're buying computer programs, they must be obtaining many of their computer programs illegally. Meaning, if Dell reported revenues of $1 billion last year, but Microsoft only reported revenues of $1 thousand...you would assume something is up, right?

Our job is to find counters to reasonable objections to the passage's conclusion. Meaning, they're going to give you answer choices that SHOULD strengthen the argument put forth in the passage. Also, all of the answer choices should be linked to a reasonable objection to the passage's conclusion. Steps for solving the problem:

(1) Examine an answer choice
(2) Determine what argument the answer choice counters.
(3) Determine whether that argument is a reasonable objection.
(4) Rinse & repeat for all answer choices given.

So, I'm going to take it answer choice by answer choice and go through the above steps...

(A) "Few German computer users write their own computer programs."

This must counter the argument: "But what if everybody in Germany writes their own computer programs? If that were the case, then of course there would be relatively few purchases of computer programs."

This seems like a reasonable objection. If computer programming were widespread in Germany then it would make fewer people than normal would be out buying programs. In order to come to the same conclusion as the author of the passage, it would help to address this issue.

(B) "There are few free noncommercial computer programs available in Germany."

This must counter the argument: "But what if most of the programs available in Germany are free? If that were the case, people aren't illegally downloading...they're just downloading free programs legally."

This seems like a reasonable objection. If most of the programs in Germany were free, then you'd expect software sales to be low because people could get their programs for free instead of paying. In order to conclude the same thing as the author, it would help to address this issue.

(C) "Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such purchases were counted in the survey."

This must counter the argument: "But what if most people are buying their computers outside of Germany and then bringing them in?"

This is not a reasonable objection. If most people were buying their computers outside Germany, and computer sales were STILL higher than software sales...it would just strengthen the author's point. Even the pitiful amount of computers that actually were bought in Germany is more than the amount of software sold in Germany! So this really does nothing.

(D) "The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on his or her computer."

This must counter the argument: "But what if nobody even uses computer programs in Germany? Maybe they're just buying computers so they can sell them, or use the parts, or whatever..."

This is a reasonable objection. If nobody even used computer programs, then of course sales of computer programs would be low. Clarifying this issue would help strengthen the author's conclusion.

(E) " Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such duplicates were counted as purchased copies in the survey."

This must counter the argument: "But what if people are giving each other legal copies of programs? They aren't buying new programs because they can just get a legal copy from their friends."

This is a reasonable objection. If everyone could get all the programs they needed legally, then it would be unreasonable to conclude that there is a lot of illegal downloading in Germany. Countering this objection would strengthen the author's conclusion.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Cliff Notes:
I chose answer choice C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
This was a tough question.. what is the source of these questions..

Here goes the explanation.,

The Question stem asks us to find which of following statements donot counter the objection to the conclusion i.e donot strengthen..

1 ) As few computers use their own programs, most of the other use commercial programs. --> strengthens..

if the sentence was many computers -> then it weakens.

2) As few non commercial programs are avialable, most of the other are commercial programs - > strengthens..
if the option used many .. then it will weaken

3) correct answer.. It says some of the computers were bought outside the country but counted in the survery.
So actually less number of computers were bought --> weakens.. ie donot strengthen.. correct answer

4) If one German computer has several commercial programs, then the sale of the programs shud be more -> strengthens

5) though the legal copies are counted towards purchase,
i.e the sale of the commercial programs is even less ---> strengthens..

Hope my explanation is clear.. let me know if something isnt clear..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I would like to discuss the question stem here
Each of the following, if true, would counter some reasonable objection to the interpretation advanced
above EXCEPT:

Each weakens EXCEPT:

(C) indeed weakens the argument as the above post rightly said, then how it could be the answer even.

Plz advice !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Hello,

Let us understand the question stem bit by bit.

"objection to the interpretation" implies against the interpretation or weakens the interpretation.

"counter some objection" implies that the statement provides some explanation against any weakness in the interpretation i.e the statement supports the argument/interpretation.

So, the question mentions that all statements support the interpretation in some way except one statement. This statement weakens the argument. Since, C weakens the argument, it is the right answer.

Hope this helps!

targetgmatchotu wrote:
I would like to discuss the question stem here
Each of the following, if true, would counter some reasonable objection to the interpretation advanced
above EXCEPT:

Each weakens EXCEPT:

(C) indeed weakens the argument as the above post rightly said, then how it could be the answer even.

Plz advice !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 559
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
eYsYs wrote:
This question has been posted on this forum before but I am sure discussion on that post is wrong (unable to post link here sorry) and I dont feel the OA is right. Hence, I'm posting it again. Plz help.

A recent survey found that more computers than copies of computer programs were purchased by
Germans last year. The best interpretation of this finding is that the practice of illegally duplicating
commercial computer programs is widespread among Germans.

above EXCEPT:
(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such
(D) The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on
his or her computer.
(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such
duplicates were counted as purchased copies in the survey.

Down to (C) and (E)
Though I selected (C)..But still din't have a very good reason to Choose (C) over (E)..Can someone please explain it in detail..Thanks in Advance...:)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [7]
Given Kudos: 83
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Design (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
akankshasoneja wrote:
eYsYs wrote:
This question has been posted on this forum before but I am sure discussion on that post is wrong (unable to post link here sorry) and I dont feel the OA is right. Hence, I'm posting it again. Plz help.

A recent survey found that more computers than copies of computer programs were purchased by
Germans last year. The best interpretation of this finding is that the practice of illegally duplicating

above EXCEPT:
(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such
(D) The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on
his or her computer.

Down to (C) and (E)
Though I selected (C)..But still din't have a very good reason to Choose (C) over (E)..Can someone please explain it in detail..Thanks in Advance...:)

I chose C because it talks of computers purchased out of GERMANY. Did you notice? 'GERMANY'. This country is nowhere mentioned in the argument. Sure the stimulus talks about Germans but that doesn't mean anything done by Germans outside of Germany shouldn't be accounted for. I cross checked with the stimulus twice to see if there's any mention of Germany or not. Couldn't find any! so went with C.

Remember the question stem says strengthens the argument EXCEPT. So anything that weakens or leaves the argument unaffected is the answer.

According to me option C leaves the argument unaffected. Hence, I chose C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Technology, Operations
Send PM
Kudos
What are we trying to find? Let's take a look at the question:

Quote:
above EXCEPT:

An objection is something that does not agree with the interpretation. If all the answers are a counter to objections (double negative), then they are AGREEING with the interpretation. But we are looking for an EXCEPTION to all the answers (triple negative)! So that means we are looking for something that does NOT agree with the interpretation. So basically, which of these answers does NOT agree with the interpretation?

What is the interpretation? Well premise 1: Germans buy more computers and programs. Premise 2 (assumed): Germans should be buying an equal number of computers and programs. Interpretation: Germans must be pirating programs. Now let's look at the answers, and look for what does NOT AGREE with the interpretation (the most):

If few German users write their own programs, then they should be buying them. Since they are not buying them, they must be pirating them. This helps the interpretation.

If there are only a few free programs available, then users should be buying programs. Since they aren't, they must be pirating them. This helps the interpretation.

Some of the computer purchases were from outside of Germany, but they were counted. What about program purchases from outside of Germany? Where they also counted? This is not included in the information. It's possible that program purchases from outside of Germany were not counted when they should have. It's possible that program purchases from outside of Germany, if counted, would make it so that program purchases equal computer purchases. This answer possibly goes against the interpretation. This is the only answer to do that, so it is the best answer.

Since users use several programs, they should be buying them. They aren't, so they must be pirating. Helps the interpretation.

Germans are buying programs, but at a lesser rate than computers because they duplicate the programs legally. This would go against the interpretation, except for the last part of the sentence: duplicates were counted as purchases. Since duplicates were counted as purchases, then the number of program purchases and duplicates should be equal to the number of computer purchases. But that is not true, so users must be pirating programs. This helps the interpretation.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma DAVEexamPAL

Please help me with correct reasoning and PoE:

In an EXCEPT question, CROSS OUT anything that ___(counters reasonable objection/ STRENGTHEN) the interpretation of author. What is the interpretation?
the practice of illegally duplicating commercial computer programs is widespread among Germans.

Why does author interpret this?
A recent survey found that more computers than copies of computer programs were purchased by Germans last year.

Let me break down the question stem once again to avoid confusion:
Each of the following, if true, (Assume each of below answer choices to be true to
determine .. . )

would counter (would go against)

some reasonable objection (weaken)

to the interpretation advanced above EXCEPT: (Key word except)

I can weaken the interpretation by suggesting an alternate cause for survey results.

Quote:

Irrelevant to argument in hand.

Quote:

If there are few noncommercial computer programs that are available in Germany
then copying will be more. STRENGTHENS the conclusion.

Quote:
(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such purchases were counted in the survey

Correct. Presents alternate cause - Purchase outside of Germany.
Further these purchases are also counted in survey, hence instead of duplication
it is purchase that leads to interpretation.
Quote:

Irrelevant to argument at hand.

Quote:

The first clause presents an alternate cause for author's interpretation.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Premise: computers > copies of computer programs

Conclusion: practice of illegally duplicating commercial computer programs is widespread among Germans.

pre-thinking: May be thay are not using much. May be just basic programs are been used.

(A) Few German computer users write their own computer programs. ---- So they need some test editor and they wrote their own. now they don't need to purchase.
(B) There are few free noncommercial computer programs available in Germany. --- less available, people will purchase lesser. all make sense.
(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such purchases were counted in the survey. --- So actually there are less computers purchased in Germany. but don't they need program for that. No idea if they purchased program too. i think its mild one. lets keep it.
(D) The typical German computer user has several commercially written computer programs on his or her computer. ---- means pre-bundled.
(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of commercial computer programs, but such duplicates were counted as purchased copies in the survey. --- rigged survey.

Among all other C is the best option. but anyone can fall far this classic trap.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Kudos
[The option E says that such duplicates were counted as the purchased copies in the survey. So, if these were considered as purchased copies, then this mean that fewer number of copies were purchased than estimated, which is irrelevant for the argument]

Fact: More computers purchased than computer programs purchased.
Conclusion: Germans been duplicating computer programs illegally.

Reasonable objections/explanations to the fact can be:

1. Some Germans write their own program so need to buy pcs but not programs.
2. Some Germans use free programs instead of buying commercial programs.
3. Some Germans don't keep any program in their pcs.
4. Some Germans may have copied the programs legally.

(A) Few German computer users write their own
computer programs.
Counter 1.

(B) There are few free noncommercial computer
programs available in Germany.
Counter 2.

(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of
Germany for use in Germany, and such
No use. If it was about computer programs purchased outside of Germany instead of pcs, then it would be useful.

(D) The typical German computer user has several
commercially written computer programs on
his or her computer.
Counter 3.

(E) Many Germans legally make duplicates of
commercial computer programs, but such
duplicates were counted as purchased copies in
the survey.
Counter 4.

My choice would be C.[/quote]
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma DAVEexamPAL

Please help me with correct reasoning and PoE:

In an EXCEPT question, CROSS OUT anything that ___(counters reasonable objection/ STRENGTHEN) the interpretation of author. What is the interpretation?
the practice of illegally duplicating commercial computer programs is widespread among Germans.

Why does author interpret this?
A recent survey found that more computers than copies of computer programs were purchased by Germans last year.

Let me break down the question stem once again to avoid confusion:
Each of the following, if true, (Assume each of below answer choices to be true to
determine .. . )

would counter (would go against)

some reasonable objection (weaken)

to the interpretation advanced above EXCEPT: (Key word except)

I can weaken the interpretation by suggesting an alternate cause for survey results.

Quote:

Irrelevant to argument in hand.

Quote:

If there are few noncommercial computer programs that are available in Germany
then copying will be more. STRENGTHENS the conclusion.

Quote:
(C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such purchases were counted in the survey

Correct. Presents alternate cause - Purchase outside of Germany.
Further these purchases are also counted in survey, hence instead of duplication
it is purchase that leads to interpretation.
Quote:

Irrelevant to argument at hand.

Quote:

The first clause presents an alternate cause for author's interpretation.

adkikani, this looks good! I'll add a few points:

I wouldn't say that (A) is "irrelevant". If MANY computer users write their own programs, that could explain why computer sales exceed computer program sales. That would weakens the author's interpretation (the data could be explained even if the practice of illegally duplicating commercial computer programs is NOT widespread). (A) counters that objection.

The explanation for (B) is similar. If there were MANY free noncommercial computer programs, then computer users would not need to buy commercial programs. This would explain why the number of computers purchased is greater than the number of commercial programs purchased. This alternate explanation would weaken the author's interpretation, but (B) counters that objection.

Similarly, what if many computer users do NOT have commercially written programs on their computers? In that case, there is no reason to expect that the number of programs purchased should equal the number of computers purchased. This would weaken the author's interpretation, but (D) counters that objection.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V30
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
GMATPill wrote:
eYsYs wrote:

above EXCEPT:
his or her computer.

Answer is (C)

Argument: Illegal duplication is widespread
Assumption: More computers than programs purchased

So what's going on here? There is a gap between # of computers purchased and # of computer programs purchased. Visualize this.

What explains the gap?

The author is suggesting a possible reason for the gap - illegal duplication is widespread in germany. Since more computers and not enough programs, he's guessing that the computer programs are copied illegally in order to match the # of computers purchased.

A concrete example - if 100 computers are purchased and only 20 computer programs are purchased...i'm guessing the author is assuming the ratio should be more 1:1, so in order to get that, the remaining 80 computer programs must have been duplicated illegally.

OK..now that we understand that...

What does the question say? "Would counter a reasonable objection advanced above EXCEPT"

Ok, so there is an objection (negation), then we are countering that negation. So 2 negatives equal a positive. Four of the answer choices will support our existing argument...ONE will NOT.

Four will help explain or support why there is illegal duplication.

Well, this helps explain the gap. If few german computers write their own computer programs...this thinking can lead to the conclusion that since they don't write their own programs, they COPY them. So this is in support of our "illegal duplication" argument.

If there are not that many free programs, then everything cost money. As a result, ppl can still COPY.

C) Some Germans purchase computers outside of Germany for use in Germany, and such

Well, if computers are purchased outside of Germany, then maybe that's why there is an inflated number for the number of computers purchased. It's possible that there is NO illegal copying if our number for the # of computers purchased is inflated. The actual # of computers purchased IN germany might actually be lower and closer to the # of computer programs purchased...this would lead to the conclusion that there is NO copying going on. This is AGAINST our argument...this is the answer (C).

his or her computer.
If each computer has more than 1 computer program...but the # of computer programs purchased suggests that figure is much lower than 1...then the remainder might have come from pirating! This supports our argument that COPYING exists.

If there are legal duplicates and they are counted as "purchased copies"...well we are still significantly lower! If the ones that are purchased are already duplicates (!), then what about the rest of the gap? This one also might suggest that duplicating of the illegal kind might still be the culprit here.

Hope that lengthy explanation is helpful!

This is an amazing explanation. Thanks for it!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts