Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 12:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent survey of all auto accident victims in Dole County

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 5

A recent survey of all auto accident victims in Dole County [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 12:08
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

75% (02:31) correct 25% (02:14) wrong based on 40 sessions
A recent survey of all auto accident victims in Dole County found that, of the severely injured drivers and front-seat passengers, 80 percent were not wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents. This indicates that, by wearing seat belts, drivers and front-seat passengers can greatly reduce their risk of being severely injured if they are in an auto accident.
The conclusion above is not properly drawn unless which of the following is true?
(A) Of all the drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey, more than 20 percent were wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents.
(B)Considerably more than 20 percent of drivers and front-seat passengers in Dole County always wear seat belts when traveling by car.
(C) More drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey than rear-seat passengers were very severely injured.
(D) More than half of the drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey were not wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents.
(E) Most of the auto accidents reported to police in Dole County do not involve any serious injury.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 13

Re: A recent survey of all auto accident victims in Dole County [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 13:14
i will go with C.

(A) Of all the drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey, more than 20 percent were wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents.-It contradicts the premise it cannot be more than 20% since 80% people in survey were not wearing
(B)Considerably more than 20 percent of drivers and front-seat passengers in Dole County always wear seat belts when traveling by car.---This doesnot tell us anything,maybe 40% even wore we are talking about people in survey.
(C) More drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey than rear-seat passengers were very severely injured.
--by wearing seat belts, drivers and front-seat passengers can greatly reduce their risk of being severely injured
This seems to connect the dots, if front seat passengers are seriously injured then seatbelt will surely help them.
(D) More than half of the drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey were not wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents.-grbgrgrbgrbgr again similar to B
(E) Most of the auto accidents reported to police in Dole County do not involve any serious injury.
o yea same thing happens in my county also :P

Whatever one does in life is a repetition of what one has done several times in one's life!
If my post was worth it, then i deserve kudos :)

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 184 [1] , given: 2

Re: A recent survey of all auto accident victims in Dole County [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 20:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
jitgoel wrote:
A recent survey of all auto accident victims in Dole County found that, of the severely injured drivers and front-seat passengers, 80 percent were not wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents. This indicates that, by wearing seat belts, drivers and front-seat passengers can greatly reduce their risk of being severely injured if they are in an auto accident.
The conclusion above is not properly drawn unless which of the following is true?
(A) Of all the drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey, more than 20 percent were wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents.
(B)Considerably more than 20 percent of drivers and front-seat passengers in Dole County always wear seat belts when traveling by car.
(D) More than half of the drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey were not wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents.

Hi jitgoel,

This problem gives us evidence that 80% of injuries in car accidents are from folks not wearing seat belts. The argument's conclusion is that seat belts work. So, what's missing here? Well, we have no context about the 80%; it sounds scarily high, but we don't actually know that! The authors' assumption is that 80% of injuries makes up a disproportionate number of injuries to non-wearers. After all, if 80% of people don't wear seat belts, it's little surprise they suffered 80% of accidents! (B) tells us that this is not the case; the author's assumption that 80% is significant is in fact correct, and therefore so is his conclusion. (B) is the answer.

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 13

Re: A recent survey of all auto accident victims in Dole County [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 23:23
KapTeacherEli wrote:
jitgoel wrote:

Hi jitgoel,

This problem gives us evidence that 80% of injuries in car accidents are from folks not wearing seat belts. The argument's conclusion is that seat belts work. So, what's missing here? Well, we have no context about the 80%; it sounds scarily high, but we don't actually know that! The authors' assumption is that 80% of injuries makes up a disproportionate number of injuries to non-wearers. After all, if 80% of people don't wear seat belts, it's little surprise they suffered 80% of accidents! (B) tells us that this is not the case; the author's assumption that 80% is significant is in fact correct, and therefore so is his conclusion. (B) is the answer.

Oops i completely missed this one.
Can you let me know why C is wrong?
I thought the question was asking for a premise which can strengthen the conclusion rather than an assumption.
As for (B), "Considerably more than 20 percent of drivers and front-seat passengers in Dole County always wear seat belts when traveling by car." i thought this this meant some percentage range from 20% to lets say 60% folks wear seat belts, however i'm still having hard time to find out how it is necessary for the conclusion?

Whatever one does in life is a repetition of what one has done several times in one's life!
If my post was worth it, then i deserve kudos :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: A recent survey of all auto accident victims in Dole County [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2012, 00:23

Conclusion :by wearing seat belts, drivers and front-seat passengers can greatly reduce their risk of being severely injured if they are in an auto accident.

Question : which of the following has to be true to draw the above conclusion properly

It talks about auto accident not about every Cars in the city.
So Option ( B ) is ruled out in the first place.
(A) if its true then the same is going to weaken the conclusion
(C) Neither strengthening nor weakening the Conclusion
(D) ( left out ) Correct
(E) irrelevant

OA Please.
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 2

Re: A recent survey of all auto accident victims in Dole County [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2012, 12:24
Expert's post
conty911 wrote:
KapTeacherEli wrote:
jitgoel wrote:

Hi jitgoel,

Oops i completely missed this one.
Can you let me know why C is wrong?
I thought the question was asking for a premise which can strengthen the conclusion rather than an assumption.
As for (B), "Considerably more than 20 percent of drivers and front-seat passengers in Dole County always wear seat belts when traveling by car." i thought this this meant some percentage range from 20% to lets say 60% folks wear seat belts, however i'm still having hard time to find out how it is necessary for the conclusion?
(C) is irrelevant because it relies on an unstated assumption similar to the one in the main argument--without knowing the total number of front seat drivers versus the number of rear seat passengers, the number of front and rear seat injuries don't actually tell us anything.

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher

Kaplan Reviews

Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 2

Re: A recent survey of all auto accident victims in Dole County [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 09:01
Expert's post
KapTeacherEli wrote:
jitgoel wrote:

Hi jitgoel,

Whoops, looks like I missed something on this one!

(B) doesn't actually have to be true here. The reason is the word that should have made me suspicious from the get-go: "always." We need more than 20% of Dole County drivers to be wearing seatbelts, yes--but it doesn't have to be the same 20% on any given day. As long as more than 20% of the riders on the road are wearing their seatbelts, the argument is properly reasoned, so (B) is a (subtle) distortion.

(A), however, is the correct answer based on my reasoning above--which was the correct reasoning! Remember, the 80% that were injured is only a subset of those surveyed, the severely hurt group. We need to know that, among the group not severely injured, more than 20% were wearing seatbelts, which is what (A) gives us.

(C) is irrelevant as I said above--without relative numbers of front- and back- seat passengers, we don't know if more front- or back-seat injuries is actually an interesting result.

(D) is wrong because 49/51 and 51/49 splits of seatbelt-to-non-seatbelt-wearers are indistinguishable to us from the perspective of this article.

And, (E) is irrelevant, because in that more than half without serious injury, we don't know a thing about proportions who had seat belts.

Sorry for the confusion on the OA on this problem, and happy problem solving!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher

Kaplan Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 6

Re: A recent survey of all auto accident victims in Dole County [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 13:38
Take it easy there, buddy Kap :)

Posted from my mobile device Image

Posted from my mobile device Image

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 17

Re: A recent survey of all auto accident victims in Dole County [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 06:26
Hi Eli,

I am still not convinced about A.

Lets say 100 people were surveyed, out of which 20 were severely injured and 80 were not severely injured.

Now, out of 20 Severely injured, 16 (80%) were NOT wearing seat belts, while 4 (20%) were wearing seat belts......Now we do not know anything about the 80 people in the survey who were NOT seriously injured .............Lets say all 80 of them were NOT wearing seat belts.

Now (A) suggests, that at the time of the accident, MORE than 20% were wearing seat belts ..........However, from the example above, we just know that only 4% (of total 100) were wearing seat belts ............so how can we know whether (A) is correct?

Please let me know if my reasoning is correct?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 23

Re: A recent survey of all auto accident victims in Dole County [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 07:48
I am still confuse
someone can plz help out

Thriving for CHANGE

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A recent survey of all auto accident victims in Dole County [#permalink] New post 03 May 2014, 23:48
jitgoel wrote:

The question stem is:The conclusion above is not properly drawn unless which of the following is true. It means it is a justify conclusion type of question (according to the Critical Reasoning Bible). In justify conclusion type of questions we need to link any new elements in the conclusion and the premise and ignore the common ones. The correct answer need not contain the common elements of the conclusion and the premise.

So in this case,
The premise:of the severely injured drivers and front-seat passengers, 80 percent were not wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents.
Conclusion:by wearing seat belts, drivers and front-seat passengers can greatly reduce their risk of being severely injured if they are in an auto accident
New thing from the conclusion and the premise is the percentage figure, so the correct answer should contain something related to this percentage figure. If we look at the answer choices
there are only two which mention the percentage figures Choice (A) and Choice (B).

Choice B is not the answer since we are concerned with the number of drivers and front-seat passengers wearing seat belts at the time of accident, which is what A says. The word "always" in B also makes this choice wrong.

Do let me know what you think of the reasoning provided above.
Re: A recent survey of all auto accident victims in Dole County   [#permalink] 03 May 2014, 23:48