Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent university study indicated that students who

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

A recent university study indicated that students who [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2006, 11:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (04:08) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
A recent university study indicated that students who receive full scholarships tend to maintain higher grade point averages than do students who must take out loans or work to finance school. The study concluded that scholarships enable students to achieve high grade point averages by alleviating the stress related to financial concerns and freeing up students’ time to study more.

The study’s conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?

A. Students who take out loans maintain higher grade point averages than those who work to finance school

B. Finance-related stress affects student performance in a manner similar to that of restricted study time.

C. Students who must work to pay for their studies cannot maintain high grade point averages

D. High grade point averages were not the primary criterion upon which the scholarship awards were based

E. Controlling stress level is less important to student performance than is intensive studying.

Last edited by jjhko on 24 Aug 2006, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2006, 11:08
Straight B.

I'll explain if it's right.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Kaplan800 CR: university study (new... tough) [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2006, 11:33
jjhko wrote:
A recent university study indicated that students who receive full scholarships tend to maintain higher grade point averages than do students who must take out loans or work to finance school. The study concluded that scholarships enable students to achieve high grade point averages by alleviating the stress related to financial concerns and freeing up students’ time to study more.

A. Students who take out loans maintain higher grade point averages than those who work to finance school

B. Finance-related stress affects student performance in a manner similar to that of restricted study time.

C. Students who must work to pay for their studies cannot maintain high grade point averages

D. High grade point averages were not the primary criterion upon which the scholarship awards were based

E. Controlling stress level is less important to student performance than is intensive studying.

An assumption can be something that will show there is no other cause for increase in GPA
Conclusion -> Scholarship enables students to get higher GPA.
This conclusion is only valid if we assume that students with higher GPA's are not the criteria for giving scholarships, so I'll go with D.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2006, 16:52
my vote is for B...

D is out of scope of the passage--
The passage says nothing about increasing GPA, nor does it mention anything about students previous grades.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Kaplan800 CR: university study (new... tough) [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2006, 17:11
jjhko wrote:

A. Students who take out loans maintain higher grade point averages than those who work to finance school - Irrelevant distortion of the facts.

B. Finance-related stress affects student performance in a manner similar to that of restricted study time. Improper comparison.

C. Students who must work to pay for their studies cannot maintain high grade point averages. Extreme assumption. I know several people who busted their asses through undergrad and still maintained a 3.5+

E. Controlling stress level is less important to student performance than is intensive studying. Irrelevant comparison

I`m getting (D) by POE. Problem is, I can`t explain why it`s correct :?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2006, 18:20
Its a Straight D.

If High GPA was not the criteria for scholarships then both type of students would be on the same level of comparison and hence the conclusion would hold.

If High GPA was the criterian for scholarships then it follows why they could keep the High GPA. Thus the whole argument falls apart if this was the case.

Hence D is the answer.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2006, 19:27
Straight D.

Argument states there is a correlation between X and Y. Then it says, because of this correlation X must cause Y. What is the assumption?

That Y is not the cause of X :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2006, 20:20
my answer: B
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2006, 22:53
I think this is D. Will explain if correct.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2006, 01:54
Well I think B...

D speaks about pre-admission stages while the passage is worried about post admission stage...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2006, 03:12
I think it should be "D"...
D saya higher GPA is not the criteria to avoid scholarships...that means to start off with students getting scholarships and not getting scholarships have similar GPAs but later on it changes due to financial reasons....
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2006, 03:20
It has to be D because:

Therfore at the beginning of the course students already having high grade point averages did not necessarily get scolarships. Thus students having simillar grades initially started getting different grades during the course due to presence (or absence) of scholarships.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2006, 03:42
The OA is D.

The author makes the conclusion that scholarships lead to higher GPAs. So the conclusion won't work if the reverse causal is true (i.e. higher GPAs lead to scholarships). And choice D, ensures that reserve causual isn't the case here, hence it's an assumption that the argument depends on.

Hope that makes sense.

jjhko.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2006, 14:07
Late but got D also... good question !
  [#permalink] 25 Aug 2006, 14:07