Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 21:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recording system was so secretly installed and operated in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
A recording system was so secretly installed and operated in [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2007, 15:49
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

87% (01:30) correct 12% (00:55) wrong based on 179 sessions
26. A recording system was so secretly installed and operated in the Kennedy Oval Office that even Theodore C. Sorensen, the White House counsel, did not know it existed.
(A) A recording system was so secretly installed and operated in the Kennedy Oval Office that
(B) So secret was a recording system installation and operation in the Kennedy Oval Office
(C) It was so secret that a recording system was installed and operated in the Kennedy Oval Office
(D) A recording system that was so secretly installed and operated in the Kennedy Oval Office
(E) Installed and operated so secretly in the Kennedy Oval Office was a recording system that

Why can not it be E
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by fameatop on 28 Aug 2013, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
OA not Provided
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: SECRETELY_installed [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2007, 16:00
IrinaOK wrote:
26. A recording system was so secretly installed and operated in the Kennedy Oval Office that even Theodore C. Sorensen, the White House counsel, did not know it existed.
(A) A recording system was so secretly installed and operated in the Kennedy Oval Office that
(B) So secret was a recording system installation and operation in the Kennedy Oval Office
(C) It was so secret that a recording system was installed and operated in the Kennedy Oval Office
(D) A recording system that was so secretly installed and operated in the Kennedy Oval Office
(E) Installed and operated so secretly in the Kennedy Oval Office was a recording system that

Why can not it be E

b/w A and E.
E is out. it sounds awkward.
"E awkwardly inverts the order of the subject and predicate in the
main clause and thus cannot be logically connected to the remainder of the sentence."
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2007, 20:08
Has to be A as E is passive.

Active voice is preferred over passive.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2007, 21:53
I too agree with A.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2007, 22:14
(B) awkward
(C) 'It' has no clear reference
(D) awkward

Between A and E, go with A. (I think 'E' is passive construction, not preferred)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SECRETELY_installed [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2010, 23:53
Can somebody throw some light on usage of "so secretly". What kind of usage is that? When is so used?

Also this thread should be moved to SC since it is not a CR question.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 6

Re: SECRETELY_installed [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 18:50
The idiom is so X that Y.

only A fits the bill.
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 316 [4] , given: 0

Re: SECRETELY_installed [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 00:20
This post received
KUDOS
You absolutely right seekmba. This question tests you on 'so' idioms, which are frequently tested on the SC!

The 'so' idiom that is in play here is

so+adjective/adverb+that+clause (subject + verb) --> expresses cause and result!

Example: He was so hungry that he stopped at Burger King. / They ran so fast that they were out of breath by the time they got there.

Note: You can start with the descriptive word too! Ex: So hungry was he that he stopped....

Other 'so' idioms that the SC likes to mess with:

so that --> meaning "in order to"
Ex.I must practice so that I will be prepared for the competition.

not so... as --> inequality comparison
Ex. Tom is not so tall as Joe.

so+adjective1..... as to (be + adjective2)
Ex. The politician's statement was so vague as to be ambiguous.
NOTE! This idiom does NOT express cause and result! It is used to STRENGTHEN A DESCRIPTION.
Incorrect: I must practice so as to be prepared for the competition.

In other words, DON'T MIX UP THESE IDIOMS! THEY ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE

(Many more important idioms are discussed in SC Lessons 9 and 10 at gmaxonline!)

Best,
Sarai

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: A recording system was so secretly installed and operated in [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 07:18
this is gmatprep question, so I can search on the internet and see many postings. No posting explains the wrongness of E proplerly.

Is E wrong because we can not use inverted clause with another clause. ?

experts. please, explain fullly why E is wrong?

Thank you
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 4

Re: A recording system was so secretly installed and operated in [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 08:21
E simply sounds awkward to me, hence marked A.

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A recording system was so secretly installed and operated in [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 01:36
The answer is 'A' 'it' refers to 'A recording system'
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Re: A recording system was so secretly installed and operated in [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 19:45
IrinaOK wrote:

Why can not it be E

OG explanation is not good, if I do not want to say that the og explanation is zero.

we, students, and even gmat experts have to infer the gmat thinking.

why E is wrong?
there are many pattern in English which is CORRECT BUT NOT PREFERED. This point leads to situation in which a pattern is eliminated but this pattern appear in oa in other sc problem.

between "so....that" there must be adverb

adverb " secretely" should touch "installed, operated" and "in the office"

we can not insert " the recording system" between "so" and "that".

That is my attempt to explain the problem. but, to be honest, in the test room, I can not infer the above thing.

If anyone in this gmat forum know anybody traveling to Hanoi, Vietnam on around 25 Jan 2014, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some problem and need your help. Thank

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A recording system was so secretly installed and operated in [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 09:53
vietmoi999 wrote:
IrinaOK wrote:

Why can not it be E

OG explanation is not good, if I do not want to say that the og explanation is zero.

we, students, and even gmat experts have to infer the gmat thinking.

why E is wrong?
there are many pattern in English which is CORRECT BUT NOT PREFERED. This point leads to situation in which a pattern is eliminated but this pattern appear in oa in other sc problem.

between "so....that" there must be adverb

adverb " secretely" should touch "installed, operated" and "in the office"

we can not insert " the recording system" between "so" and "that".

That is my attempt to explain the problem. but, to be honest, in the test room, I can not infer the above thing.

Maybe its just me, but that in e seems to be modifying recording system and not the secretive nature of its operation and installation.

Also read this part and you can see the error.

recording system that even [...] did not know it existed .what's it doing here.

or
recording system that even x did not know existed

Also A is using correct idiomatic expression so x that y.

Hope i have put some light around it :-)

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 131

Re: A recording system was so secretly installed and operated in [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2013, 04:20
Hi,
Can anyone explain why e is incorrect.
I understand that it is in the form of an inverted expression but that too can be acceptable.
I am not able to get a convincing answer even after searching a lot on google as to why E is incorrect.
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1060

Kudos [?]: 2523 [0], given: 164

GMAT Tests User
Re: A recording system was so secretly installed and operated in [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 06:24
Expert's post
Hi Akhil,

The so + that combination is used to show cause and effect. 'So' is followed by an adjective or adverb that is the cause of an action, and 'that' is followed by the result. E.g. She was so tired that she went to bed.

Option E says "Installed and operated so secretly in the Kennedy Oval Office was a recording system that". Here, the cause and effect relationship is very ambiguous, because the part after 'so' is not immediately followed by the part with 'that'.

Also, note that in option E, 'that' is a relative pronoun: it refers to the noun before it, "recording system," and the meaning doesn't make any sense. In option A, 'that' correctly connects the effect to the cause. ('In the Kennedy Oval Office' is a modifier that can be removed without affecting the grammar of the sentence.)

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Meghna

Free trial:Click here to start free trial (100+ free practice questions)
Free Session: September 14: Learn how to define your GMAT strategy, create your study plan and master the core skills to excel on the GMAT. Click here to attend.
ImageImageImageImage

Re: A recording system was so secretly installed and operated in   [#permalink] 02 Jan 2014, 06:24